Wheel bolts and other screws on Vespa GTS300 rusted
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:32 am quote
It is the time of the year when I have to do some housekeeping and cleanup.
I have to change oil, flush the coolant & add new coolant clean the air filter etc.
I noticed that the bolts that hold the wheels in, the screws for the battery cover, the screws on the turn signal covers all are rusted and I know I cleaned all of them (soaked it in rust remover solution, wire brushed them clean and then dipped them with some WD40 or some oil lubricant before putting them back on last October. Now almost a year later they are rusted again and especially on the turn signal plastic covers there is a stain. I can do the same again and it shall be fine for a few months possibly, or replace them.
So the question for the wizards on the forum is are there stainless steel screws and bolts that I can order from McMaster Carr. I had ordered and replaced the bolts for the belt and clutch cover with stainless steel bolts a while back.
I did not search but I wonder if there is a thread that lists the screw/bolt sizes for the Vespa GTS.
I also have to figure out how to remove the 3 screws that hold the water pump up, two of the screw heads are stripped. I have been changing the coolant by removing the hose as I had replaced the one time clamp with stainless hose clamps from home depot.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:25 am quote
There seem to be some strong opinions here on the use of stainless bolts on wheels.

I, personally, use them on my smaller scoots, and have seen shops install them too. However, some Piaggio designs for speedometers use a magnetic pickup that senses the passing of the regular steel bolt heads, and replacing those with stainless messes them up.

I don't think Piaggio publishes detailed fastener specs in its scoots' parts diagrams. However, if you can find the part number, you can often find the screw more specifically identified elsewhere on the web. I've found it useful to have a small kit of taps and dies, which includes a little tool called a thread gauge. This is like a spark plug gap measurer except that the metal slabs are thicker and have sawteeth cut into them that you align into the fastener in question to measure the thread pitch.

The little screws that hold covers on, etc. are not particularly crucial. I label them carefully and match up stainless replacements off the rack from big box stores. (Out of the trays, actually, where the metric parts are; the racks are usually SAE fasteners.) A pack of four from Home Depot is usually cheaper than a box of 25 from McMaster.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:08 am quote
I would research this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroless_nickel-phosphorus_plating

I have a pistol with this finish on the frame and is it corrosion free after 20+years.
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 am quote
Re: Wheel bolts and other screws on Vespa GTS300 rusted
baba12 wrote:
I also have to figure out how to remove the 3 screws that hold the water pump up, two of the screw heads are stripped. I have been changing the coolant by removing the hose as I had replaced the one time clamp with stainless hose clamps from home depot.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
You should find this post quite informative.......

How I extracted a stripped waterpump cover bolt
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:21 am quote
I don't have a large explanation, nor am I an expert with a half a million years experience in this field.
My rule of thumb is. If it needs to be torqued, don't change the grade of bolt/nut.
Addicted
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 am quote
Agreed. Just replace the rusted bolts with new, original parts. It's cheap insurance.
Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 pm quote
Or prime over the rust with some Loctite Extend (from your auto parts store) then spray with some Rustoleum aluminum paint. Good as new and will last years.

Bill
Addicted
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:35 pm quote
Cosmos wrote:
Or prime over the rust with some Loctite Extend (from your auto parts store) then spray with some Rustoleum aluminum paint. Good as new and will last years.

Bill
Not really. I've found those bolts to become brittle with age and the allen heads to round out easily. Primer and paint (and dog urine) will only compound the problem, and if you totally round them out you'll wish you had just replaced the old bolts with new.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1405s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0404s) ][ Debug on ]