2002 ET4 150cc 3000 easy miles. Had been running fine. Went to start it the other day and it makes a single "clunk" when I press starter but will not turn over or crank the engine in the least bit. What I have done so far:
1. charged the 1 year old battery - no change
2. borrowed another battery from different bike - no change
3. jumped with car - no change
4. pulled relay - no luck finding another locally - 12v applied to primary and it definitely clicks like a good little relay should and it closes the secondary terminals - no change
5. removed starter, lightly buffed brushes and commutator with 600 weight sandpaper, cleaned and reassembled. BTW brushes looked good. - no change.
6. wiring looks good. no loose connections found.
7. started to get mad
Is it possible the relay closes but can't carry enough current, or maybe the starter runs but is for some reason suddenly too weak..... any suggestions appreciated!