Heated Gear Ampage--HELP!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 253
Location: NJ
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:29 pm quote
I recently purchased Venture's Heated Gear to help my commute through the early and late fall, into hopefully, a mild winter. I'm wondering if the amount of amps needed to run the gloves, liner pants and liner jacket are too much for my scooter. Does anyone know about this? I feel like my scooter battery is usually at 14, and with everything plugged in, it would draw about 11 amps. Am I fine, or would this overwhelm the battery? Thanks in advance!

-K
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6148
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:44 pm quote
The battery is mostly irrelevant to this issue.

Put it this way; if you are using power from the battery, you are over the limit.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 253
Location: NJ
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:52 pm quote
So I can't use the gear then? How do people ride in the colder weather with heated gear? Apologies if I'm missing something. It's supposed to connect to the battery per Venture's website and there are fuses that make sure you don't overdraw. If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't draw any power from the battery at all, yes?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 11446
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:59 pm quote
You misunderstood Madison Sully's answer. He was telling you that you should be worried about the capacity of the stator which generates the 12V power and the capacity of the circuit you are connecting to. You only use the heated gear when the motor is running and should not be drawing down the battery at all.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6148
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:00 pm quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
So I can't use the gear then? How do people ride in the colder weather with heated gear? Apologies if I'm missing something. It's supposed to connect to the battery per Venture's website and there are fuses that make sure you don't overdraw. If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't draw any power from the battery at all, yes?
In a car, the alternator provides the power to charge the battery, spark the plugs, run the radio, heat the seats, with some extra left over for the voltage regulator (typically part of the alternator on a car) to bleed off.

Presumably the charging system of a scooter has some excess capacity, but I'd be skeptical that it is sufficient to run heated gloves, pants, and jacket. Some of it perhaps, all of it maybe. My point was just to say the battery itself isn't the thing that should power those accessories.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7510
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:04 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
You misunderstood Madison Sully's answer. He was telling you that you should be worried about the capacity of the stator which generates the 12V power and the capacity of the circuit you are connecting to. You only use the heated gear when the motor is running and should not be drawing down the battery at all.
Yep.

I ride year round and have plenty of heated gear. An example is I have heated grips on the Ural which I ride when their is now and ice on the road. The heated grips only show as working when I am moving and the battery is getting charged. When I'm stopped or in slow traffic they do not work at all and at best blink at me tauntingly.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6148
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:08 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
You misunderstood Madison Sully's answer. He was telling you that you should be worried about the capacity of the stator which generates the 12V power and the capacity of the circuit you are connecting to. You only use the heated gear when the motor is running and should not be drawing down the battery at all.
Yep.

I ride year round and have plenty of heated gear. An example is I have heated grips on the Ural which I ride when their is now and ice on the road. The heated grips only show as working when I am moving and the battery is getting charged. When I'm stopped or in slow traffic they do not work at all and at best blink at me tauntingly.
Do you ride with heated gear on your GTS? I don't know the charging system capacities of Piaggio products vs. their typical draw before accessories, so don't know if it is reasonable to put such things on a scooter like this. Until now at least, I haven't felt the need for heated gear. Benefit of growing up in the Minnesota tundra I guess..
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 253
Location: NJ
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:12 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
So I can't use the gear then? How do people ride in the colder weather with heated gear? Apologies if I'm missing something. It's supposed to connect to the battery per Venture's website and there are fuses that make sure you don't overdraw. If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't draw any power from the battery at all, yes?
In a car, the alternator provides the power to charge the battery, spark the plugs, run the radio, heat the seats, with some extra left over for the voltage regulator (typically part of the alternator on a car) to bleed off.

Presumably the charging system of a scooter has some excess capacity, but I'd be skeptical that it is sufficient to run heated gloves, pants, and jacket. Some of it perhaps, all of it maybe. My point was just to say the battery itself isn't the thing that should power those accessories.
Thank you; this is helpful. I see where I was confused. There's a pos and neg element to the connectors that attaches to my battery. I think initially I confused amps with wattage and it seemed high. To conclude: I should be more concerned with whether or not that stator can handle it, correct? Anyone know how I find out of the BV can manage this?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7510
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:12 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
You misunderstood Madison Sully's answer. He was telling you that you should be worried about the capacity of the stator which generates the 12V power and the capacity of the circuit you are connecting to. You only use the heated gear when the motor is running and should not be drawing down the battery at all.
Yep.

I ride year round and have plenty of heated gear. An example is I have heated grips on the Ural which I ride when their is now and ice on the road. The heated grips only show as working when I am moving and the battery is getting charged. When I'm stopped or in slow traffic they do not work at all and at best blink at me tauntingly.
Do you ride with heated gear on your GTS? I don't know the charging system capacities of Piaggio products vs. their typical draw before accessories, so don't know if it is reasonable to put such things on a scooter like this. Until now at least, I haven't felt the need for heated gear. Benefit of growing up in the Minnesota tundra I guess..
Yeah but battery powered glove liners and vest. I just jack on to the Ural and will with the BMW. A few folks here have heated grips though and might be able to chime in.

I find with the Vespa the rads venting it to the skirt and heated glove liners plus best do the trick great. I'm only running short trips so at most need a few hours of heat.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6148
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:14 pm quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
So I can't use the gear then? How do people ride in the colder weather with heated gear? Apologies if I'm missing something. It's supposed to connect to the battery per Venture's website and there are fuses that make sure you don't overdraw. If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't draw any power from the battery at all, yes?
In a car, the alternator provides the power to charge the battery, spark the plugs, run the radio, heat the seats, with some extra left over for the voltage regulator (typically part of the alternator on a car) to bleed off.

Presumably the charging system of a scooter has some excess capacity, but I'd be skeptical that it is sufficient to run heated gloves, pants, and jacket. Some of it perhaps, all of it maybe. My point was just to say the battery itself isn't the thing that should power those accessories.
Thank you; this is helpful. I see where I was confused. There's a pos and neg element to the connectors that attaches to my battery. I think initially I confused amps with wattage and it seemed high. To conclude: I should be more concerned with whether or not that stator can handle it, correct? Anyone know how I find out of the BV can manage this?
Correct, it's the excess stator capacity that matters.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6628
Location: New Zealand
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:21 pm quote
This is the one time Iíd suggest looking into an LED Headlight, to pick up a bunch of extra watts.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7510
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:34 pm quote
znomit wrote:
This is the one time Iíd suggest looking into an LED Headlight, to pick up a bunch of extra watts.
That's a good idea, it will save on battery drain.

Oh and Sully, thanks! I just remembered to ask my Piaggio dealer if he could get me a Tucano Urbano as my old one has a fried bladder and I'd rather not muck around with fixing it.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 253
Location: NJ
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:35 pm quote
Thanks, guys, I found an alternator answer on (lo and behold) this forum, and I should be fine. Whew!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6148
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:43 pm quote
znomit wrote:
This is the one time Iíd suggest looking into an LED Headlight, to pick up a bunch of extra watts.
Brilliant. But hopefully not glaring....
Hooked
Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 262

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:04 pm quote
You will be fine to a point;

Iím running an LED headlight and have used a Gerbing heated jacket liner and Gerbing heated gloves while watching the voltage readout. The Gerbings running full tilt will pull about 11 amps, but I donít usually turn them up that much. They get turned on about 50%. The controller alternates on/off rapidly to maintain this 50% duty cycle. So the net consumption over time winds up being 5-6 amps.

The BVís charging system is more than capable of keeping up with that kind of load while running down the road. At idle it discharges slightly.

Iíve had many other bikes that had weak charging systems. I would use my heated gear for my 1 hr commute each way knowing that some of the current was coming from the battery and just plug in the battery tender when I got home.

As for the BV it really must not matter much because I just changed the original battery in my Ď13 today, at 7 yrs 9 months. It was still starting the bike just fine, but I noticed the cranking voltage was going lower than it usually does and I have no interest in getting stranded!
Addicted
BV 350
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 676
Location: Nebraska
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:30 pm quote
Maybe
Probably want to switch the display to battery voltage and keep an eye on it. A falling voltage would suggest you have exceeded the power capacity of the charging system, and continued use will run your battery down.

Did you find a capacity for the charging system? I didn't run across it in the owner's manual.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 253
Location: NJ
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:37 pm quote
JimDing
BV350 Alternator specification

I found that, in the forum here.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3003
Location: East Anglia, a dryer region of the UK than Israel
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:38 pm quote
Re: JimDing
Karlsbadd wrote:
BV350 Alternator specification

I found that, in the forum here.
I note they told you the BV stator is rated at 300w. That seems quite low, especially since the GTS300 motor has a 450w stator. I wonder if they have told you incorrectly.

My GTS runs various things electrically, but mostly my heated grips that pull 3.9amps at most but average 3.6amp for any given journey when on maximum. Mostly I run them at 60-75% even in very cold weather and that's enough. I run my phone too so no real strain on my electrical system. I estimate that there is around 7-8amps or a little more left over to power accessories with the heated grips turned off. My battery copes fine, but I don't think it will be happy to run a vest as well as the heated grips.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6628
Location: New Zealand
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:44 am quote
The main fuse is 30A too, I'm not sure how much overhead you have there.
Addicted
BV 350
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 676
Location: Nebraska
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 am quote
I imagine
I iimagine this is a "300 watts, typically", with some variation. Be interesting to know how much is available for use, after powering the engine, lights, etc. I suppose monitoring the voltage is the only sure way to know.

And I wonder if it can put out 300 watts continuously without overheating?

Not that I intend to find out on mine, just curious.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1463s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0222s) ][ Debug on ]