2009 400 --> 2019 500??
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
ET2 MP3
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:19 pm quote
Greetings,

I may have an opportunity to upgrade from a 2009 400 to a 2019 500. I'm seeking advice / opinions if it's worth pursuing. Not so keen on having a foot brake but I'm sure over time I could adapt. Do the 2019's have reverse? I currently have an adjustable Givi windshield. Sad to see that they no longer offer the adjustable windshields like they did in prior years.

Is the ride better, seat more comfortable, etc What about the whole oil blow back thing? Is that a concern at all with the newer models?

Thanks for your thoughts?
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm quote
Do it, just do it. It is well worth the upgrade.

Reverse gear IS available on the Advanced model, starting late 2019 on Euro specs.

You can retrofit the earlier windshield using the base mounting piece from the earlier MP3 (2014 in euro spec, 2016 US spec)

No oil blow back as long as do not use more than 1.5L at each oil service. Do NOT believe what the manual says at 1.7L

Suspension was improved on the Sport (and Advanced) models starting 2019 when Piaggio spent the extra 50 euros and sourced some Kayaba (KYB). Not nearly as good as Bitubos, but a far cry from the wood and rubber pieces the earlier bikes used. Shame on Piaggio for still using such crappy shocks (on Business models) for so long on such a expensive bike.

As far as the seat goes, the optional Piaggio gel seat is still the preferred choice.
Enthusiast
ET2 MP3
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:17 am quote
Thanks for the info!

I'm in the US so I believe they only sell the Sport and Business models here. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but the one I'm considering is the Sport model. Reverse?

Thanks!
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:56 am quote
I went from a 400 to a 500HPE. Well worth the upgrade. Didn't get the advanced with reverse but it is a big difference in ride and power. I love it and wouldn't look back. I don't get into the blow back discussion because there just doesn't seem to be enough evidence that it is a problem to be honest. If every member of the forum said there was a problem when it came to the 500, then maybe but the evidence is not there so don't let that be a deciding factor. Do I wish they went with the wet clutch on the 500 like they've done with the 350? 100% but still worth the upgrade. As sbaert said, JUST DO IT. You won't regret it.
MP3-400
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:37 pm quote
Unless an expert member here can enlighten me, the extra power is not the critical issue, but the extra weight (600 lbs on your tippy toes.)

Its only about 39 lbs difference, but sheesh, every 39 lbs make a difference! After perusing this great site briefly, I think I will go for a top end replacement for reliability (vs a top end job) to equalize the ‘Standard’ MP3 400 to the 500 power, without the significant weight disadvantage. Reducing 39 lbs on a motorcycle is big big (really big) bucks.

The ‘Standard’ 400 with trunk and shield big enough (med?) to come just below a 6’ tall riders eyes (w/30” inseam) is an engineering marvel to my untrained eyes (so I can raise or lower my head for visibility or avoid audible damaging wind dB bouncing off my faceshield.) And it’s pretty much all OEM magic!!

Now if the MP3 500 has structural reenforcement included in that approximate 39 lb model net weight increase, then I need to better understand that and add a steel bracket somewhere-??

But in addition to being the only counter opposed opinion to keep the thread intellectually balanced, this is my plan of attack for the ‘NEW Standard’ MP3.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:45 am quote
Re: 2009 400 --> 2019 500??
phlegmer wrote:
Greetings,

I may have an opportunity to upgrade from a 2009 400 to a 2019 500. I'm seeking advice / opinions if it's worth pursuing. Not so keen on having a foot brake but I'm sure over time I could adapt. Do the 2019's have reverse? I currently have an adjustable Givi windshield. Sad to see that they no longer offer the adjustable windshields like they did in prior years.

Is the ride better, seat more comfortable, etc What about the whole oil blow back thing? Is that a concern at all with the newer models?

Thanks for your thoughts?
I have the MP3 400 2009, I love it, but I bought it for the reason thinking it was much more safer to ride in the rain, as it has 3 wheels but it turned out that it is the same as a two wheeler. Now do I regret buying it? (second hand), No, I do not regret it. Once you buy a scooter (or other transport vehicle) it should satisfy your needs, so ask yourself, why you want the 500? what are the cost considerations? such as the difference in cost price, the difference in cost of maintenance, etc.... once you have thought about all these points, you can decide.

As I said, I love my scooter and if I went back in time, I would buy Yamaha Majesty, at least they are cheaper in their maintenance and they are great quality and got power.

Good luck.
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 am quote
To go from a 400 to a 500hpe, the difference is noticeable. My 400 was totaled from a rear end accident and after reading about the 500hpe, I knew that is what I wanted. Upon my first ride home with 0km on it, the difference was huge. The MPG is around the same and the extra power comes in handy when passing as you really needed to plan your pass with the 400. The 500 seems to be a bit smoother in power delivery and I am also running the factory muffler at this time. LeoVince does not do one yet for the 500hpe and the Akro is just a bit to pricey to justify. Again, I don't regret the purchase.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1395s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0404s) ][ Debug on ]