Time for a chop
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:46 pm quote
63 VBB
- DR180 top end with 3rd port cut into casings
- 20/20 Spaco 20d carb, 140ac/BE3/118, the pilot jet 50-120, air filter removed.
- I have the BGM exhaust
- timed at 20-21 btdc

After switching out the ac from the 160 to the 140 on the BE3 I took the 118mj out and went about drilling out some unuseable main jets.

I drilled a 102mj to 136- 137 , result were the bike could barely get over 30 mph

I drilled a 100mj to a 125-126, better than the 136 by a long shot but still running rich and not leveling out on the throttle

I drilled a 75mj to a 122, better than the previous and was able to get back up to 40 mph

I drilled a 104mj to a 120, better and getting above 40 mph but definately not crisp , still a bit boggy

I put the 118mj back in and so much better , able to hit 45-50mph but still I don't think its quite there.
With the 118mj back in I felt it was running good enough to do a plug chop and take pics of the results. I put in a new plug and I ran it trying to stay off wot but still keeping a steady speed and in the main jet circuit, I was just under 50mph for about a mile before cutting it.

Just the feel of the running I think I can still go down a couple jets but you guys know much much better than I do.
What do you's think ?

Some other thought I had, seeing as I went from the 160ac down to the 140ac and was back where I started with the 118mj , from what I understand ( correct me please if not right) the smaller the number the less air meaning richer running. I'm still running with out an air filter as well so really the only thing that has changed is the air correction jet.

Thanks

sept 14 plug chop.jpg
Regular plug chop

sept 14 plug chop 2.jpg

sept 14 plug chop 3.jpg
Nice and dry

sept 14 plug just in town.jpg
When I got back home I pulled the plug again to see how it looked after riding at slower and more variety of speeds , looks a bit wet

sept 14 just in town 2.jpg
from in town riding

sept 14 speedo.jpg
just short of 50 miles on the speedo

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:48 pm quote
Ok was thinking , as much as I’d like to try a smaller mj I think I would be safer to wait for my temperature doohickey to arrive.
I think I also have to check on the mixture screw to make sure it too is setup properly.
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:38 pm quote
The splutter point at WOT takes a while to get used to. Putting in a big jet that will not rev out is way past the splutter point. The amount of splutter is important, there could be 10 jet numbers between mild WOT splutter and almost imperceptible splutter. It's the just barely spluttering as it hits max rpm that you are looking for. This jet size is then the datum for the rest of the jets and adjustment.
Yours is probably good as it is until more run in.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 pm quote
Thanks Jack , I just finished reading a topic “let’s talk atomizers” and was reading about the overlap And how changes to one part of the circuit can effect another .I’m thinking , I’ve never done anything with the air/fuel adjustment screw for idle jet so making a change from the 160ac to the 140 ac and removing the air cleaner and adding the new exhaust may call for a visit to the air/fuel adjustment screw.
Also if when I get a new better air cleaner , I would imagine I will have to go smaller with the main jet?

Here’s the topic I was reading if anyone is interested http://50.18.170.78/forum/topic115912
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:21 pm quote
So as I went about checking and setting the adjuster screw first thing I did was with engine off and pulled throttle full wide open , not sure why but did and what I seen kind of startled me , I pulled throttle and the slide only went to halfway across the throat , grabbed a screw driver and the slide was able to go all the way and throat wide open. Obviously I need to shorten the throttle cable and add an end to it.

So with that being noticed I then checked the adjuster screw and it was just past 1.5 turns out and I tried adjusting but didn't seem to change much from where it was, with a 50/120 pilot jet should I be changing it or no?

Another question , if I've been tuning the mainjet and the throttle was only going half way , what difference is this going to make other than a safe breakin staying off wot?

Is the plug chop I did even a safe indication?

sept 15 wide open throttle.jpg
this was with throttle wide open

sept 15 wide open throttle pulled.jpg
wide open on the throttle pulled

sept 15 throttle slack.jpg
throttle slack , closed

Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
Another question , if I've been tuning the mainjet and the throttle was only going half way , what difference is this going to make other than a safe breakin staying off wot?
Guessing you might go faster!

No idea re: tuning... (I’m noob) but you have to sort that before anything else. And then... “find the WoT splutter point”. And now WoT will actually be for realsies!
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:42 pm quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
Lynnb wrote:
Guessing you might go faster!

No idea re: tuning... (I’m noob) but you have to sort that before anything else. And then... “find the WoT splutter point”. And now WoT will actually be for realsies!
Ya no kidding first things first, in a small very small way it actually makes me feel good because I'm sure the little engine that could may actually have a few more hidden giddy ups to give.

Pleasant plucker you are hardly a noob
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:41 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
I am when it comes to tuning and the inside of the motor. Remember, I cheated and got a running P lump. I haven’t even plug chopped yet. Someone else strobed my timing (I did watch...) Next winter I plan to drop, split and kit.

I did make my own throttle pulley - so I do understand the workings of the slide opening. But you are on to it already - cut the throttle cable in the headset, (solder the cut cable end for tidiness), stick a pinch bolt thingy on that will fit the pulley. Have a small amount of slack so there is a little bit of movement in the throttle before it starts to open the carb - otherwise too sensitive and will hit the gas when trying to brake.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:21 pm quote
Got the Trail Tech temp gauge today, wire too short to go any where but in my pocket . Do you guys attach a length of wire to make it run to the legshield?

035C34FB-B4E0-4787-9E25-314C26EA3EC1.jpeg

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:10 pm quote
So I attempted to cut the throttle cable shorter and yep cut it too short, changed inner and outer cable and recut the outer casing to length , cut the cable and gave the end a coat of solder , installed the end connector I had and all back together, haven't had a chance to try it on the road yet but just starting it and hit the end of the throttle made me giggle like a little girl, can't wait to try it tomorrow.

sept 15 new cable in.jpg

Last edited by Lynnb on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:12 pm quote
Hang on, 100kmh is coming your way!
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 pm quote
qascooter wrote:
Hang on, 100kmh is coming your way!
Haha where I hear that before
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:27 pm quote
Well - there is nothing quite like opening up the carb all the way...

Personally - I wouldn't worry so much about opening to WOT while breaking in.
Let it rev up - but shift when you hit peak.
Then do it again in the next gear.

Get the trail tech on there and see where your temps are at.
Try and pay attention to them at the same spot on the same run.
That'l be a good benchmark and helpful as you play around in the future.
My guess is - you are going to see ~230° and have a tough time holding the temp due to richness.

If it is a little rich with the 118 - or even spot on accurate - you aren't going to just blow it up moving to a 116 or even a 115 so give those a go too.
Just don't sit on it for a mile at a time WOT with the smaller jet.
That's my experience anyway.

As for plug - best to wait to run it again - but to do a true chop - you gotta - well - chop it. Plenty of youtube vids on how to - but when you really think you have the right MJ in - do a Propper plug chop and it will confirm.
This means getting the Dremel out on the plug after you pull it.

If your nervous - do the first one with a 120MJ - so you can get your sea legs - and a reference point for when you are running too rich.

Looking forward to seeing how it runs now that you can open the throttle!
Enjoy.
-CM
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 am quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
Lynnb wrote:
I am when it comes to tuning and the inside of the motor. Remember, I cheated and got a running P lump. I haven’t even plug chopped yet. Someone else strobed my timing (I did watch...) Next winter I plan to drop, split and kit.

I did make my own throttle pulley - so I do understand the workings of the slide opening. But you are on to it already - cut the throttle cable in the headset, (solder the cut cable end for tidiness), stick a pinch bolt thingy on that will fit the pulley. Have a small amount of slack so there is a little bit of movement in the throttle before it starts to open the carb - otherwise too sensitive and will hit the gas when trying to brake.
Crap I must have missed your post for cutting throttle cable in headset, I did the carb end and put on a fitting or actually cut the cable too short and had to put in a new cable and housing and added a stopper fitting.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:52 am quote
I was cruising along nicely doing just under 50mph and went wot to just under 60 mph , slowed down for an intersection corner pulling in the clutch and I was hearing a weird noise and no resistance on the clutch. When I stopped I had no clutch , started it up and gave a running start and through the gears and made it home.
Pulled clutch cover and this is what I found. Now I'm pretty sure what happened was the small wire clip let go and the disc went outward but is this a normal occurance once in a while? Did I do something wrong putting it together , I did 60 miles with no issues.

I did by chance have the temp upto 305F , still rich I'd say.

sept 16 lost clutch.jpg

sept 16 lost clutch2.jpg

sept 16 lost clutch3.jpg

sept 16 lost clutch4.jpg

sept 16 lost clutch5.jpg

sept 16 lost clutch6.jpg

sept 16 lost clutch7.jpg

Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 pm quote
Oh man - that is a bummer.
Have not experienced this personally - but appears to have jumped out of position somehow?
Perhaps others have experienced/ are familiar with this failure?
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:39 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Oh man - that is a bummer.
Have not experienced this personally - but appears to have jumped out of position somehow?
Perhaps others have experienced/ are familiar with this failure?
Its like when I went real hard on the throttle centrifical force made the wire clip to jump out. I know I'm hard on stuff and at first I thought I was going to find the nut loosened off.
Jet Eye Master
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm quote
Are you still running this in? If so you shouldn't be anywhere near 60mph.

Clutch looks really dry. Where's all the oil gone?
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:50 pm quote
Darn Lynn where'd the push rod go? Might want to check everything since it is apart maybe even do the SaFis double o-ring. I like the DRT push rod.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:08 pm quote
Jack221 wrote:

Oil , suppose to be oil ?
I filled the gear oil hole until it ran out. But I'll check again.
When is it determined that the rings are seated enough that we can say its run in ok?
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:10 pm quote
hibbert wrote:
Darn Lynn where'd the push rod go? Might want to check everything since it is apart maybe even do the SaFis double o-ring. I like the DRT push rod.
Do you mean the little brass plunger? Its in the pics, although missing alot of its brass.
Jet Eye Master
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:20 pm quote
500 miles. Then still be very careful. Very easy to do damage until about 2,000 miles.

Keep 280F as absolute maximum, if you want a perfect piston after run in.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm quote
Jack221 wrote:
500 miles. Then still be very careful. Very easy to do damage until about 2,000 miles.

Keep 280F as absolute maximum, if you want a perfect piston after run in.
Ok now I'm concerned .
If I want a 280 F max , will I not have to go back up a jet size? Or is it the BE5 that will cool it back down?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:40 pm quote
TrailTech make extension connectors in a few different lengths. I haven't had any luck soldering, but others have. Normally mine is blu-tacked to the headset.

What is all that stuff in there? Bits of cork? Hopefully nothing metallic, although I do see some shiny leftover pushrod... thought about how you are going to flush it all out?

The clip dropped out of mine 3 or 4 times early on. Sometimes I found it and sometimes not. Wish I could tell you that I found the secret to making sure it stays put, but unfortunately I can't. You just need to make extra sure that it's firmly in place, and there is a bit of a knack to it.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:50 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
TrailTech make extension connectors in a few different lengths. I haven't had any luck soldering, but others have. Normally mine is blu-tacked to the headset.

What is all that stuff in there? Bits of cork? Hopefully nothing metallic, although I do see some shiny leftover pushrod... thought about how you are going to flush it all out?

The clip dropped out of mine 3 or 4 times early on. Sometimes I found it and sometimes not. Wish I could tell you that I found the secret to making sure it stays put, but unfortunately I can't. You just need to make extra sure that it's firmly in place, and there is a bit of a knack to it.
Thats the brass off the pushrod.
Crap no I never thought about flushing it out , Jack seems to think its rather dry looking so that may be a good thing. Any ideas? Other than draining the oil?
I only ran it like that for a couple miles to get home and actually never touched the clutch again once I found out it wasn't working.
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '64 VBB, '66 180SS
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:00 pm quote
Does it look like the loop end of the clip is bent too far in ? Maybe it wasn't really catching under the lip ?
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:21 pm quote
Moto64 wrote:
Does it look like the loop end of the clip is bent too far in ? Maybe it wasn't really catching under the lip ?
Well its a bit deformed now so hard to say. I think when I clipped it in place it was just such a loose fit.
Jet Eye Master
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 pm quote
You have to have been running the clutch cable slack for the plate to jump out.

Flush it with petrol or similar easily available, non oil seal melting solvent. Re fill with oil and hope the gearing is too low and you can buy a Cosa clutch once run in. Set up properly the DR is too powerful for a 6 spring.

Careful with the clutch cover bolts they look like they are nearly ready for a helicoil.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 am quote
Lynnb wrote:
I was cruising along nicely doing just under 50mph and went wot to just under 60 mph , slowed down for an intersection corner pulling in the clutch and I was hearing a weird noise and no resistance on the clutch. When I stopped I had no clutch , started it up and gave a running start and through the gears and made it home.
Pulled clutch cover and this is what I found. Now I'm pretty sure what happened was the small wire clip let go and the disc went outward but is this a normal occurance once in a while? Did I do something wrong putting it together , I did 60 miles with no issues.

Hmmm, that older style doesn't have the "D" shape to keep the pressure plate from spinning in the clutch basket. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Misc-Parts/25026
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:19 am quote
Jack221 wrote:
You have to have been running the clutch cable slack for the plate to jump out.

Flush it with petrol or similar easily available, non oil seal melting solvent. Re fill with oil and hope the gearing is too low and you can buy a Cosa clutch once run in. Set up properly the DR is too powerful for a 6 spring.

Careful with the clutch cover bolts they look like they are nearly ready for a helicoil.
I was just going to use some gas squirted in there and drain and refill, from the looks of it the pressure plate dislodged and most of the brass stuck right there in the oil surface so hopefully most of the brass dust is on the pressure plate surface. I guess this could have ended much much worse if that pressure plate would have disconnected completely.

Ok Jack you opened the can of worms and there all over the bench now , which Cosa clutch would I be looking to buy ?

For the clutch cable I had actually adjusted it tighter because I was having a hard time with creeping in first gear. Is there a special procedure to adjusting these clutch cables?

I know what you mean with the clutch bolt holes , I have one that is acually a different thread size then the other two , I generally stick to 1/4" drive for tightening them.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:28 am quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Lynnb wrote:

Hmmm, that older style doesn't have the "D" shape to keep the pressure plate from spinning in the clutch basket. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Huh , look at that , Scootermerc actually list two different types then. I had already put an order in for a round one and the new one I was going to install is also round http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Misc-Parts/16821 Geez David is going to get pissed at me for changing my order. Maybe I'll just go with the round one that I have and see if I can get it to fit snug or better yet , maybe cut a notch? Christopher your trouble ( just like Ginch)
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:54 am quote
Lynnb wrote:
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Lynnb wrote:

Huh , look at that , Scootermerc actually list two different types then. I had already put an order in for a round one and the new one I was going to install is also round http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Misc-Parts/16821 Geez David is going to get pissed at me for changing my order. Maybe I'll just go with the round one that I have and see if I can get it to fit snug or better yet , maybe cut a notch? Christopher your trouble ( just like Ginch)
That plate matches the basket shape, look at the hole in this one it is a a "D"

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Baskets-Back-Plates-and-Drive-Gears/237362
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am quote
Hey Lynn, great advice above. I ran B62 around for probably 15 to 20 heat cycles before I wound it up, but I still didn't sit on it at the top. There was still more but I was way to nervous to let it run any higher

Picture waiting for the engine to blow, fingers on the clutch, every nerve in my body ready to take flight, and deciding when is it good enough to do a decent plug chop....Now...Pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch simultaneously.

The time it took you to read the last paragraph is about how long I ran it up to 60.

You'll get it sorted. Keep after it.
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 am quote
Jack221 suggested doing a chop in 2nd gear WOT which makes things less scary
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Lynnb wrote:
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Lynnb wrote:

That plate matches the basket shape, look at the hole in this one it is a a "D"

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Baskets-Back-Plates-and-Drive-Gears/237362
Ahh ok , Christopher the basket I have the hole is round and not D shape, must be an upgraded basket?

june 1 lock tab stuck in.jpg
round hole old pic with the castle nut setup , just using the nut now

DSCN0733.jpg
this was with pressure plate in place

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:45 am quote
hibbert wrote:
Jack221 suggested doing a chop in 2nd gear WOT which makes things less scary
I'm thinking something got misinterpreted there from Jack , you would have to have the motor screaming ( just let me die ) for a mile before getting an accurate reading on the plug if you were pulling in 2nd gear.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:54 am quote
qascooter wrote:
Hey Lynn, great advice above. I ran B62 around for probably 15 to 20 heat cycles before I wound it up, but I still didn't sit on it at the top. There was still more but I was way to nervous to let it run any higher

Picture waiting for the engine to blow, fingers on the clutch, every nerve in my body ready to take flight, and deciding when is it good enough to do a decent plug chop....Now...Pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch simultaneously.

The time it took you to read the last paragraph is about how long I ran it up to 60.

You'll get it sorted. Keep after it.
Ok my take on a plug chop, at least on a 4 stroke engine, you want to see what the plug will be running at at a sustained speed , say 55mph , basicly your most average speed you will be travelling at all the time if on the hiway keeping the hiway speed , with said setup. So if you know you will be doing 55mph pretty much max then you want your best setup and then any speed below 55 mph should have the motor running safely and effeciently all the time.

Personally doing 60mph on these 8" wheeled bikes is a downright ass puckering experience no matter how you slice it, at least on our roads here in Canada.

Now on the newer bikes like what we travelled around on in Sicily for a week , there was no issue riding at 55 -65mph , then again they don't get frost heaves and tar snakes like we do.
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:52 am quote
RPM vs. MPH top end does not know the gear
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:45 pm quote
hibbert wrote:
RPM vs. MPH top end does not know the gear
Huh never thought of it that way, definitely get the rpm’s.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 pm quote
Jack221 wrote:

After getting the clutch fixed up I dropped the oil. There was just over 5 oz ‘s that came out. This sound about right? Driver is pointing at the 4oz mark.

489DB43C-E50B-4EDD-B3CB-677EF7D80190.jpeg

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
[ Time: 0.2326s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0438s) ][ Debug on ]