first cold weather season with my gts 300
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Gts 300 notte
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:41 pm quote
hey everyone! i got my first vespa in april of this year, just barely on the tail end of a cold season, now that winter will soon be here, temps are dropping with fall now... just wondering what kind of things to keep in mind with the scoot... i will most likely be riding it well into winter and probably through it, as long as the streets are dry.. so yeah, just wondering what to keep an eye on, to prepare for... i know tire pressure changes in cold weather.. how do i deal with that too, thanks guys!
Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:54 pm quote
I highly recommend a termoscud!
Tucano-Urbano-Termoscud-R154
and

Perhaps a warn n safe heated jacket
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:55 pm quote
I think it depends in the type of rides you are planning. I commute in Toronto until Christmas without much different than usual - a thick sweater layer and warm gloves. I also have a windshield and full face helmet year round.

But my ride is 6km at slow downtown speed. Longer distances and faster speeds would surely warrant more protection. And that's where you will hear advice for heated gear, lap aprons, etc.

I find the main issue is road salt after the first snowfall. I still take my old LX out then, but would have second thoughts with a new GTS (or would at least look into anti-corrosion coatings and frequent cleaning).
Gts 300 notte
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 pm quote
thanks guys! i am also downtown toronto, and it is stored in a warm/heated condo garage... so it isnt left outside 24/7... i will definitely be looking into some warm gear... thank you!
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS300 S
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:15 pm quote
I commute year round and tho we can get the odd snow fall we do get subzero (degC) temperatures here in the mornings.

A windscreen does help but the best are heated grips. You don't want frozen hands when you need to do emergency braking.

One thing to keep in mind is that the roads may appear dry in winter but can still have patches of black ice.

A Pinlock helmet visor helps with fogging in cold temperatures too but I find I still have to crack my visor open a little bit.

The scoot will handle the cold temperatures well, however the main thing to look after is yourself. Keep your hands and core warm.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 pm quote
Honestly as someone that has heated grips on a few bikes heated glove liners are way better. Heated grips are ok in the chill but fail in real cold as they do not warm the finger tips. Mind you I ride in up to about -17C. A Tucano Urbao skirt is also a HUGE help especially when on the move as the rads vent inside. A heated vest is also a big bonus. The glove liners and vest can be purchased with battery packs and do not need to be plugged in to the bike if that's an issue. Bar mitts are also a big help to keep the wind off.

I think I am the coldest weather rider here with maybe a few other hardy soles. We are in the same city, visit the Icebreaker shop on Queen west , their merino wool long johns and other gear is top notch but you're going to pay for it.

Lou at Vespa West has a skirt order coming in soon, might be worth touching base with him as they sell fast.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1269s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0229s) ][ Debug on ]