Maybe silicone in engine (et2)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Vespa ET2
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 am quote
I had a cracked intake manifold and while I was waiting for replacement part to arrive I fixed the crack with silicone. It worked started right up and I thought it was set, however after a while it died and I checked and it was still a little gooey. Iíd tried to start the bike several times, and the kickstart kind of sticks. Iím Worried I borked my bike. Any advice?
Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 am quote
Silicone Issues
Greetings:

I do not believe the Goo can cause any permanent damage to anything - being soft and all - but it's not clear how it's going to get out of there, assuming some was aspirated. Worst case would require splitting the cases and cleaning it out manually. Best case would be to address the manifold leak, get it started and let the engine pump itself out.
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am quote
i agree with wheelman...

at one point i attempted to motoseal a crack in my rubber intake manifold...it sorta sealed it enough..i went riding and the silicon was sucked into the motor.... my motor was fine, albeit it might have just been a pea sized amount...

it should work itself out if you run it and get it nice and hot

what product did you use?
Vespa ET2
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:19 pm quote
jixaw wrote:
i agree with wheelman...

at one point i attempted to motoseal a crack in my rubber intake manifold...it sorta sealed it enough..i went riding and the silicon was sucked into the motor.... my motor was fine, albeit it might have just been a pea sized amount...

it should work itself out if you run it and get it nice and hot

what product did you use?
Thanks for your reply! I used red high temp rtv by JB weld

56349055-B4FA-45CC-9DC5-D6D56A7E6C33.jpeg

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:32 pm quote
the bigger the glob the better the job!

in all seriousness, you probably didn't hurt anything. sounds like you've got another problem brewing.

why are you kickstarting it? is the battery dead? also, were you kickstarting it before hand, and now it's funky?

-g
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:57 pm quote
Next time use rescue tape (self-amalgamating tape) - you can even use it to seal holes in coolant hoses!
Vespa ET2
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:35 pm quote
greasy125 wrote:
the bigger the glob the better the job!

in all seriousness, you probably didn't hurt anything. sounds like you've got another problem brewing.

why are you kickstarting it? is the battery dead? also, were you kickstarting it before hand, and now it's funky?

-g
Long story is rode it to the beach and it wouldnít start after I got there

Bring it to a friend a mechanic recommended I ask him to give it a once over because it is an 18 year old bike and I never had it tuned up just bought a new battery and got it started

He diagnoses the cdi is faulty and we buy a new one (mine is grounded but scooter west says they donít make that anymore)

He does the repair and gives it back to me itís revving like crazy on idle

The next day itís not starting right off the bat like it used to. I turn the idle screw down and it normalizes, but then the bike starts dying when itís stopped

A different mechanic friend looks at it and finds a crack in the intake manifold, we fix it with silicone and it works but gradually the bike doesnít start unless we press down on the intake manifold while kicking or start button.

Now weíre here because I tried to redo the silicone because the part was taking over a week to arrive
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:08 pm quote
You didnít answer the question.

Was the kickstart fucked before or now that youíve done the cheese dick repair itís jacked ass?

Iím not trying to break balls, but you just wrote me a story that has nothing to do with what youíve got going on.

-g
Vespa ET2
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm quote
greasy125 wrote:
You didnít answer the question.

Was the kickstart fucked before or now that youíve done the cheese dick repair itís jacked ass?

Iím not trying to break balls, but you just wrote me a story that has nothing to do with what youíve got going on.

-g
I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking me why Ive been using the kick so much in the first place.

Yes the kick stopped returning smoothly after the second silicone cheesing dick
Hooked
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:12 am quote
Greetings:

Kickstart abuse or wear during this adventure is more likely the reason for the non-smooth pedal return. Silicone in the crankcase, not in the pedal assembly.
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:51 am quote
i agree with wheelman...

the kickstarter on these et2s is awful...and prone to break...in fact it should only be used in an emergency...after you deal with this you will probably only use it in an emergency...

more than likely your kickstarter is broken....the weld on the shaft of hte kickstart gear is very weak and breaks....take that side cover off and have a look...you probably want to take the kickstarter out so that your electric start will work...
Vespa ET2
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 pm quote
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Iíve been out of commission for a little while... so hereís an update:

Pulled the carb and changed the intake manifold, petcock started spewing gas everywhere! I think that was about to go too. Got it to start once and then nothing.

Ordered a new Petcock and fuel and vacuum lines, but got impatient and swapped the petcock and lines for one I pulled off a random junked torpedo. Pushed the damn ET2 to a gas station and put a tiny bit of gas in her. Pushed to start and she started right up and held idle! Booya! Thought I was in the clear and filled her up with maybe another half gallon of gas. Then she wouldnít start again. No amount of throttle wiggling, starter jamming or kicking would get her started again.

Sheís been locked to a pole since. I tried to charge the battery up and no dice.
Vespa ET2
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 pm quote
jixaw wrote:
i agree with wheelman...

the kickstarter on these et2s is awful...and prone to break...in fact it should only be used in an emergency...after you deal with this you will probably only use it in an emergency...

more than likely your kickstarter is broken....the weld on the shaft of hte kickstart gear is very weak and breaks....take that side cover off and have a look...you probably want to take the kickstarter out so that your electric start will work...
So youíre telling me my broken kick starter will prevent my electric start from working and that may be the problem now?
Vespa ET2
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 pm quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

Kickstart abuse or wear during this adventure is more likely the reason for the non-smooth pedal return. Silicone in the crankcase, not in the pedal assembly.
Thanks for your kind reply. If I did get some glue drips (seal all) and or a tiny bit of silicone in the engine thru the the opening following the intake manifold, how bad would that be? Would this just burn off if I could get the damn thing started?
Hooked
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:38 pm quote
Greetings:

I wouldn't worry too much about the Goo in the engine. If it started a couple of times, you might want to check the spark plug for a Silicone bridge across the gap though.

I think what Jixaw is concerned about is the kickstarter "Castle" making contact with the flywheel and yes. preventing the electric starter from working without interference.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1462s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0306s) ][ Debug on ]