PX125 Kits - So what was your real speed, is it worth it?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
PX
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:25 am quote
Id be interested to know your real speeds you have achieved kitting a px125? Im posting now as ive reached a confident run in period to test mine out.

Clearly vespa speedos are way out, so . If you have a before kitting and after speed that would be interesting, gives insights to noobs like me who prior to the kit was driving bog standard px125 about for 7 years and wondered whether kitting is worth it. Im summarising my results to decide whether it was worth it for others who might want to do a kit.

Heres my experience of my upgrade carried out by my mechanic in July.
PX125 with a bolt on DR177 (no porting).
A Sip Road 2.0 exhaust (already fitted before barrel upgrade)
Has a cosa clutch 20 tooth as standard.
24mm SI Spaco carb (116 main, perfect coloured plug).
Drilled out air filter.
NGK B8HS plug.

First run at speed after a 500 mile run in period, 110 kmh indicated, but actual on GPS app 60.9 mph (speedo 7mph over) Wasnt full on wind, but more side wind.

Another run at speed after 650 miles run in 115 kmh, actual on GPS app 64.5. So speedo once again reading nearly 7mph over. Scooter screaming like a train, could do with up gear and ran out of road due to traffic so maybe could squeeze a pinch more out of it.

Prior to upgrade I could hit 105kmh on a good day indicated so actual speed I suspect 58mph if following the 7mph over read. Note, i had an 2003 MY model which was not strangled by the catalytic exhaust setup.

Kit came in at 330 quid total. Fitting was 150 quid.
Sip Road 2.0 prior was 110 quid.

So what have i gained for my 480 quid investment?

Torque - incredible torque, i can overtake cars, trucks doing 50 mph on my local dual carriageways. I feel confident im not going to get stuck in the overtaking lane and can safely get past them now, return to normal lane after wards.

Hill climbs, it can pull up hills, get over railway bridges without struggling.
Wind - maintains at least 56mph in a strong head wind.
Two up - can take my kid on the back, its happy to cruise along at 50+
(im 12.5 stones, shes about 8 stone).

So im happy with the DR kit. OK, it only gives you about 7/8 mph over standard, its not a screaming rev monster, but you get there a lot quicker and gives you a whole lot more. Feels like being on my old P200 which did about 62mph.

As P200s are becoming pretty scarce where I am, a kit was the only thing i could easily do. Whats others experiences of 125 kits (whether just bolted on or ported etc) such as mallosis, pinascos, polinins, was it worth the money? thanks Malc
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:45 am quote
Your experience with bolt on DR kit seems pretty typical.

It will go over 70mph on GPS if you know what to dremel. 'Knowledge is power' was never more appropriate.
PX
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:07 am quote
Jack221 wrote:
Your experience with bolt on DR kit seems pretty typical.

It will go over 70mph on GPS if you know what to dremel. 'Knowledge is power' was never more appropriate.
Im not a mechanic though, wish i was. My mechanic gave me a bolt on upgrade via the cheapest route. its my daily commute scoot. Hes capable of doing all this work, hes currently building a quattrini. Id be looking at clutch kit, primary gear cog change, splitting engine casings, all expense. Would my standard crank hold up etc. Compromising the reliability possibly, for 5mph? Also the bolt on kit can be reversed easily. I have full bike licence but if you are in the UK on provisional (L plates), you can only ride up to 125cc. im thinking of getting another px125 as easy to get hold but getting expensive now and going all out for a thrash scoot.
Addicted
PX 150
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:01 pm quote
According to scooterhelp gearing calculator.
With my current gearing 8300rpm puts me around the mid 140km/h GPS.
But it's way to fast for these things and it's way more comfortable to cruise around the 110 limit with plenty in reserve!
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:17 pm quote
I have No idea what that little blue P125x of mine will do, but I can tell you that people running 70 mph have had problems keeping up so thatís far too fast for someone my age to be going! She did come with a new cylinder kit installed but was not re-geared but could easily handle the Ďlonger legsí but my good pals with vintage scooters told me I am already running faster than is really safe and I donít need lessons from That Scooter Thing....
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:13 am quote
I love my PX/DR177. It's a PX150, so has slightly different gearing to the 125. For me it's not about top speed, but your description of much better acceleration, more torque, better hill climbing, passenger carrying etc. is what it's all about. That's well worth the money that I spent on it. It used to have a BGM 177 kit, which was brilliant and good value, but that moved to another engine.

For very little extra spend and for a better use of the DR power, you could get yourself a Polini 177 head and a 21T clutch gear and have someone fit them. The DR head looks like it was cast by a blind man and the squish is huge. The engine does not need to come out and it's a quick swap. The other thing I did was fit Grand Sport 63mm rings to the DR piston (< £30), but that's a bigger job.

Or just leave it as it is
PX
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:39 am quote
swa45 wrote:
I love my PX/DR177. It's a PX150, so has slightly different gearing to the 125. For me it's not about top speed, but your description of much better acceleration, more torque, better hill climbing, passenger carrying etc. is what it's all about. That's well worth the money that I spent on it. It used to have a BGM 177 kit, which was brilliant and good value, but that moved to another engine.

For very little extra spend and for a better use of the DR power, you could get yourself a Polini 177 head and a 21T clutch gear and have someone fit them. The DR head looks like it was cast by a blind man and the squish is huge. The engine does not need to come out and it's a quick swap. The other thing I did was fit Grand Sport 63mm rings to the DR piston (< £30), but that's a bigger job.

Or just leave it as it is
Thanks for your replies. I was under the impression that from a 20 tooth clutch cog you cant go up in odd numbers unless you change the primary gear cog. So a 20 goes to 22, you cant go to 21 as it will make a grinding noise. Mechanic said he would have to split the engine case to do this but said it was worth it as he could do an overhaul of things like cruciform, oil seals etc. It definitely needs a slight upgear as its revving out at indicated 115 khm and feels as if it could go get a few more mph with slight higher gearing. I shall ask him about the polini head, thanks guys for your input
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:00 am quote
The 21T clutch gear is stock/standard on a late PX150 and meshes perfectly with the same 68T primary gear as you have in your PX125. Therefore, it's absolutely possible and advisable IMHO. You don't need to split the motor for a clutch change, but if other things need doing/replacing, then you'll have other reasons.

My 2005 PX150 has had 21T, 22T and 23T clutches at different times, depending on which top end that I was using. You may find 22T works for you, but 21T could be the best option.
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:01 pm quote
jimscoot wrote:
According to scooterhelp gearing calculator.
With my current gearing 8300rpm puts me around the mid 140km/h GPS.!
Did that a few times on AnaKey, then looked down & remembered it still had old Indian LML tyres!
Px
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:00 pm quote
Yes I agree 21 tooth suits dr. I had one on mine once ,great for round town you are right top speed is not much more but you can always achieve it. And yes the speedos are useless.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1361s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0247s) ][ Debug on ]