PX 150, front axle question...
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
PX 150
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:45 pm quote
Hi all,

Lockdown has been a good excuse to get back to scooters after a *long* absence. I've bought a 2013 PX150 that had about 9,500 miles on it.

I've been trying to work out whether a wobbly front-end was down to me getting old, or something else. Ego persuaded me it was probably the latter, so I decided to replace the front bearings. On stripping it down, the axle/hub look like this (the dark on the axle is far more brwon in real life):

The axle looks as though it's run with knackered bearings and I'm not sure about the mess around the speedo drive. I'd appreciate some advice as to what I really need to replace and what can simply be cleaned and greased. I've bought some bearings so far, but suspect I need more than that.

Thanks

Ian

hub.jpg

axle.jpg

P200 VNB Li125
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 am quote
bump
Hey Welcome,

My front end work experience stops at brakes, cables, and the speedo drive-cog. Maybe someone else with more experience in that area can chime in...
Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 am quote
You should definitely replace all the seals and bearings, replace the speedo gear, etc.
I just replaced all my bearings and seals on the Stella front end hub and back plate; it's not too hard, you will destroy the old ones knocking them out, make sure to use a proper-size socket or similar at a drift and not score up the seats. Heat and cold help, but I still had to hammer the new ones home. The main hub bearing can go in crooked, use a block of wood and hammer on that to get it started.

Don't use a screwdriver as a drift to remove the needle bearing in the hub (as I did), it can slip and gouge. Better to use something blunt that can reach through the main hub bearing and knock out the needle bearing from the inside race.

Is the axle just stained or is there a ridge on it that you can feel?
Lurker
PX 150
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 am quote
Having had a chance to clean it all up, the rust is cosmetic and I think the axle's OK. Looking at pictures of new stub-axles, they all seem to have a dark band at that point (some kind of heat treatment?) and there are no ridges I can feel.

Bearings going in the freezer now. Hopefully I'll be able to knock off work early enough to put it all back together this evening.
Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 am quote
And stick the hub and back plate in the oven. I did my at 200 degrees F. Probably could have gone higher, I didn't want to burn my hands. But clean the grease off first!
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1487s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0311s) ][ Debug on ]