SSR - Airhawk seat cushion *** Updated ***
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:06 pm quote
My main gripe with my Kawasaki Vulcan S was the seat - felt like sitting on a cinder block wrapped with a towel, and that was after only a couple miles.
I could manage only 15-20 miles on the thing before I was in severe pain.

Then I tried the OEM Extended Reach seat (which contains a thin gel-pad). Things improved - I could manage maybe 30-35 miles.

Then I scored a Corbin seat which took me to roughly 75-100 miles before the tailbone start yelling at me. Still not satisfied.

Last week I ordered the new Airhawk REV-B Cruiser Large air cushion and gave it a try. MY GOD what an improvement. Rode 130 miles in total comfort before calling it a day. I'm thinking I could have gone another 130 with no problem.

Anyone else had any similar experiences, good or bad, with the Airhawk? I'd be interested in hearing other takes.

Last edited by Jet Peddler on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:51 pm quote
Re: SSR - Airhawk seat cushion - wow
Jet Peddler wrote:
My main gripe with my Kawasaki Vulcan S was the seat - felt like sitting on a cinder block wrapped with a towel, and that was after only a couple miles.
I could manage only 15-20 miles on the thing before I was in severe pain.

Then I tried the OEM Extended Reach seat (which contains a thin gel-pad). Things improved - I could manage maybe 30-35 miles.

Then I scored a Corbin seat which took me to roughly 75-100 miles before the tailbone start yelling at me. Still not satisfied.

Last week I ordered the new Airhawk REV-B Cruiser Large air cushion and gave it a try. MY GOD what an improvement. Rode 130 miles in total comfort before calling it a day. I'm thinking I could have gone another 130 with no problem.

Anyone else had any similar experiences, good or bad, with the Airhawk? I'd be interested in hearing other takes.
love my air hawk , it made 2 cannonballs and will make another.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:59 pm quote
My Airhawk transformed my Fuoco into a very proficient continent-crossing machine. Not needed since I sadly bade the Fuoco goodbye when I left the UK.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 pm quote
Once and a while, a bit too often, I'm troubled with a case of bursitis in my upper leg.
This is part of the reason I prefer bikes where my feet are under me, like sitting in a chair.

The seat in my current bike is definitely not the best, if not the worst either.

The previous summer I bought an Airhawk. One of their models was just the right size and shape for the seat of my Scrambler.

I had read that getting the right amount of air in is critical. So I tried... and tried... and tried.

I just could not get it to a level that would feel good. When there was more air, I felt that I was disconnected with the bike, kind of 'floating' at the seat. When I tried to gradually lessen the amount of air, at some point the floating feeling went away, but so did the softness.

I honestly did try this many, many times. I watched Youtube videos, read instructions etc. Mayby the suitability depend on the type of bike and seat? Or any good tips for what I should still try?

Mayby because of me fiddling with the cushion so much, but I also noticed that the Airhawk straps seem to leave minor marks to my Alcantara - style seat surface.

The next I thought to try a sheapskin cover, but this summer I have had no major issues with my bursitis, nor did I do any real long distance riding (due to Corona) and kind of forgot the whole thing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:32 am quote
My airhawck on the GTS 250 got stolen many years ago.

Like you said: it really makes a huge difference to me. I rate it at 5 stars.
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 am quote
For me the trick is to use less air than you think you need. Too much and you are floating.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 am quote
I really haven't had much discomfort with any of my seats, but being freaking tall, I'd consider it for even a bit of additional seat height....no doubt added comfort to seal the deal....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:03 pm quote
An now for a puzzling update.

So this morning I wanted to fiddle around with the Airhawk and different levels of inflation. My last (and only) ride with the cushion, it performed as good as one could expect. Then, today...

At first, I didn't alter the inflation level one bit (I had it blown up probably 80%). Wearing the same riding jeans, boots, etc. as my last ride. 45 miles into my ride my ass goes numb and the old ass bones are on fire (although not as bad as pre-cushion). Fifty miles into the ride I had to stop and get off the bike - painful.

So I fiddled with the air and let about half of it out and things only got worse. 25-30 miles down the road I had to stop and get off the bike for.

Airhawk says you get best results with minimal air. Not only do I seem to be the opposite, but I can't seem to get consistent results regarding ride comfort. I do have virtually no ass (thanks to fine genetics).

Any idea what might cause wonderful results a couple days ago and horrendous results today with the same inflation? I had no lingering soreness from anything before each ride.

Any input appreciated and welcome.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 pm quote
Peddler - your results do seem odd.

I've used an Airhawk on my 09 250 GTS for about 25K miles. I keep it minimally inflated to where I almost bottom out.

I ultimately wound up getting a padded seat cover from Cheeky Seats and put that over the seat with the Airhawk in place with minimal inflation.

This combo allows me to ride for 8-10 hours without issue. It effectively removes the hump in the seat, giving me a nice long and wide bench I can easily move around on.

Polished GTS 2.jpg
Airhawk under Cheeky Seats cover, no hump, very plush

Addicted
2006 GT200L "Lone Star"-Sold, 2006 Yamaha Majesty YP400
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm quote
Not the Airhawk, but the Allyn Air seat, a precursor from back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, saved my butt (pun intended) on a 2000 mile trip in the early 80s on a Suzuki GS-450S.

Probably going to have to order an Airhawk for the Majesty. Sciatica limiting me to short rides these days.
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:31 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
I do have virtually no ass (thanks to fine genetics).
https://www.australiaplasticsurgery.com.au/procedures/buttocks-enlargement-buttock-fat-injection-buttock-implants/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:38 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
https://www.australiaplasticsurgery.com.au/procedures/buttocks-enlargement-buttock-fat-injection-buttock-implants/
Pass. Hard pass.

But thanks for the suggestion!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:40 pm quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
Peddler - your results do seem odd.

I've used an Airhawk on my 09 250 GTS for about 25K miles. I keep it minimally inflated to where I almost bottom out.

I ultimately wound up getting a padded seat cover from Cheeky Seats and put that over the seat with the Airhawk in place with minimal inflation.

This combo allows me to ride for 8-10 hours without issue. It effectively removes the hump in the seat, giving me a nice long and wide bench I can easily move around on.
Yes it is odd. Very odd.

I need to get this all sorted as I am/was planning on leaving on a 1500-2000 mile road trip on the Vulcan before cold weather sets in. If I can only ride 50 miles without significant discomfort...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
I am in the virtually no ass camp too. Plastic surgery would ruin it!🙄
Addicted
GTS300HPE PX150 BMW1200R
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:03 pm quote
I've used Airhawk with minimal inflation (really almost none) on my BMWs, over the OEM standard and "comfort" seats, for 15 years or so. Many riding friends use them - they never leave our bikes. We're a range of body and bum sizes ..

While nothing is the magic bullet, we have all had great results. Pain and numbness still set in on long days, but it happens much later and lasts less long after we stop.

The level of inflation seems to be personal - mine is low (say 20%) while a mate's is around 50%. No-one uses more than 50%.

On two Vespas - PX150 and GTS250 - not as much benefit, I think because their OEM seats are soft anyway. Some benefit on the few all-day runs I've done on my GTS250, but the soft seat underneath is stil the limiting factor.

My new GTS300HPE has a much harder seat and its ride has a decidedly more motorcycle feel (vs a soft/ supple "scooter" ride), so I may give the airhawk a go on longer runs.

My advice would be to persevere - the simple physics of a wider contact area reducing pressure are sound. Hopefully, you'll find your own sweet spot on inflation level.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:45 pm quote
Caroanbill wrote:
I've used Airhawk with minimal inflation (really almost none) on my BMWs, over the OEM standard and "comfort" seats, for 15 years or so. Many riding friends use them - they never leave our bikes. We're a range of body and bum sizes ..

While nothing is the magic bullet, we have all had great results. Pain and numbness still set in on long days, but it happens much later and lasts less long after we stop.

The level of inflation seems to be personal - mine is low (say 20%) while a mate's is around 50%. No-one uses more than 50%.

On two Vespas - PX150 and GTS250 - not as much benefit, I think because their OEM seats are soft anyway. Some benefit on the few all-day runs I've done on my GTS250, but the soft seat underneath is stil the limiting factor.

My new GTS300HPE has a much harder seat and its ride has a decidedly more motorcycle feel (vs a soft/ supple "scooter" ride), so I may give the airhawk a go on longer runs.

My advice would be to persevere - the simple physics of a wider contact area reducing pressure are sound. Hopefully, you'll find your own sweet spot on inflation level.
Thanks man. You've given me some hope!
Ossessionato
GTS250
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:51 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Sledge wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Pass. Hard pass.

Think about it. If you were to get the butt implants you would have built-in padding for your rides!

[Edit for grammer}

Last edited by Syd on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 am quote
Syd wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Sledge wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Pass. Hard pass.

Think about it. If you were to get the butt implants you would have built-in padding for you rides!
Further proof you guys really do love me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Syd wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Sledge wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Pass. Hard pass.

Think about it. If you were to get the butt implants you would have built-in padding for you rides!
Further proof you guys really do love me.
Why ruin perfection?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:22 am quote
I guess I'm lucky, never had an issue with a seat. Just play in nets for some 20 years and about 15 as a baseball catcher. Oh your knees are shot I guarantee you that but your butt will be rock solid.
Piaggio BV-500, Yamaha Majesty, Honda Helix Sidecar Rig
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 pm quote
I really like my Airhawk. I swap it between bikes as needed. I did run into one interesting issue last week. We rode from 200 feet to 9000 feet. At the top my Airhawk was almost over inflated thanks to elevation related pressure changes. Since we weren't riding for long at elevation, I just left it alone, but it sure made for a different ride.

Howard
Ossessionato
GTS250
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:09 pm quote
Not to interrupt the topic [SOT]. What size Airhawk for a GTS?
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:54 am quote
Airhawk review, take 2.

Inspired by this topic, I dug out and dusted my Airhawk.
I fiddled with the amount of air fill until I got what I believe was the best compromise between 'flat' and 'bouncy'.
Then I took a ~1,5h ride.

Let's start with myself, my current bike and my riding.

When younger, I used to be almost 'athletic', now just skinny. So I have a bony rear end.

My bike has a semi-firm seat with very grippy Alcantara surface. Apparently someone at Triumph's though that someone would actually scramble with these Scramblers, hence the seat is made to be in firm contact with the rider.

My bike has pretty much the classic UJM seating position, straight back, legs almost under you.

I hate wide, fast, long straight roads and love twisties. Most of the small roads I ride have a rough, paved surface. So it goes like 'tight right, accelerate, bump-autch-slow down, tight left, accelerate, a-sudden-hole-in-the-middle-of-the-curve-swerve fast, etc...'

With these in mind:

- the surface material is slippery. I just realised that part of the feeling of disconnectness comes simply from sliding at the surface. I did not like this, especially when slowing down fast before a corner.
+ at first, the Airhawk does feel cushy...
- but after 1,5 hours, I noticed it has just kind of shifted the pressure points compared to my bare seat. Not much better, not worse, just different.
- it makes funny parts sweaty, not in a good way.

It is easy to conclude, that for those riding long stints at straight, well paved roads, an Airhawk has the best potential to please. Whereas it simply sucks at tight twisties and frequent hard brakings.

I'm also quite sure that both body type of the rider and also type of the bike does matter. Mayby a cruiser with all the weight focused on the riders rear end would benefit the most...?

IMG_20200927_182113.jpg
Mine is the short model for solo seats.

Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1735s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0395s) ][ Debug on ]