OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
So, when I bought my new Prius this year, there was nothing in the manual about driving at 80% Max speed for 500 or 1000 miles. Yet, my new 2020 HPE GT300 tells me to ride at Max speed of 80% for the first 500 miles. However, my 2003 ET4 manual and my 2006 GT200 manual had the EXACT same language.

I was always of the old "ride it like you stole it" school of scooter break-in, and I have not been holding purely to the 80% Max speed requirement (I couldn't have brought the bike home going that slow without pissing off every driver on the highway between my Vespa dealer and my home town).

I suspect Vespa has just never changed their manual...stuck with the old language. Thoughts and perspectives on this issue appreciated, especially as they related to the new HPE model.

Thanks,

Eric
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Every manufacturer recommends taking it easy on break in, EVERY Manufacture.
Do what the manual says for yours and the next owners sake.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
I never really understood "ride it like you stole it".

If I stole a bike, I'd ride it carefully and within the speed limit. Stop at stop signs. Yield to other motorists. No burnouts or u-turns. Get it home quietly and strip it for parts.

That way nobody'd be suspicious...

Follow your manual. Protects your factory warranty, in case there's a datalogger hiding in your instrument cluster or keyset somewhere...
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
UTC quote
I always follow the manufacturer's recommendation. I figure they know more about their vehicle than the internet forums.
OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Staying that slow would be much easier if my only dealer wasn't 40 miles away...25 of which are on a highway...with a 70 mph speed limit. There really isn't a good option and going 60 mph on that highway is akin to a death wish.

All other riding is in town, which keeps the speeds down to 50 max.

BTW, there was nothing in my Prius manual about driving slowly like there used to be with a new car (you know, keep it 55 mph or less for 500 miles). And yes, I did read all 1000+ pages of manuals the car came with.

Eric
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bluside avatar
UTC quote
Jayhawk wrote:
Staying that slow would be much easier if my only dealer wasn't 40 miles away...25 of which are on a highway...with a 70 mph speed limit. There really isn't a good option and going 60 mph on that highway is akin to a death wish.

BTW, there was nothing in my Prius manual about driving slowly like there used to be with a new car (you know, keep it 55 mph or less for 500 miles). And yes, I did read all 1000+ pages of manuals the car came with.

Eric
Unfortunately, you have to do what you have to do. I had the same situation when I bought my Honda Super Cub a couple of months ago. The only way to get it home (without a trailer) was to, unfortunately, ride at full throttle for about 10 miles on a 2 lane road with lots of traffic up my ass. Definitely not what the book recommended.

I think the first oil change at 600 miles is probably the most critical thing. But then again, that's just my opinion.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
25BIKEZ wrote:

If I stole a bike, I'd ride it carefully and within the speed limit. Stop at stop signs. Yield to other motorists. No burnouts or u-turns. Get it home quietly and strip it for parts.

Follow your manual. Protects your factory warranty, in case there's a datalogger hiding in your instrument cluster or keyset somewhere...
I think a better description might be, "ride it like you're 16 and your parents just rented you a Camaro."
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
I always follow the manufacturer's recommendation. I figure they know more about their vehicle than the other internet forums.
Fixed that for you Razz emoticon
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Jayhawk wrote:

Eric
Well, a Prius won't go much faster than 55, so Bob's your uncle. Razz emoticon
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC quote
Greetings:

It's a Good Idea to go easy with any new bike, but not necessarily for the engine's sake. The folks at Motorcyclist put this to the test, admittedly for a single model in a mild state of tune, HERE.

That said, there are other factors to consider, such as new tires, getting familiar with handling and braking performance, just to name 2. BTW I remember reading in the 1980s that BMW had no particular recommendation for throttle application or varying engine speed on their Boxer R models.

Harbinger? What do they say about the 1600cc inline 6?
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Any vehicle I have ever bought new was treated to the same break-in treatment.

Which for me has been absolutely no deviation from my normal driving habits.
This means, if I need to go to work, I'm cruising at 70-75 MPH for almost an hour straight, each way.

Having said that I am a stickler about maintenance, so that 600 mile first service gets proper attention.
@lilpinny avatar
UTC

2005 PX 150, 2020 GTS Supertech

@lilpinny avatar
UTC quote
When I got my 2020 HPE they said don't ride it at the same speed for more than 5 mins or so. Something about breaking in motorcycles you want to break them in in all gears with the a cat you can't really do that. I asked can you hit it all full throttle? They said yeah sure, just not for too long.
@lilpinny avatar
UTC

@lilpinny avatar
UTC quote
25BIKEZ wrote:

Ride it like you stole it and when it breaks, go steal another I think is how it goes.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Ride it like you stole it works for racing bikes to a point as fast break in. It also means you have mechanics, money and replacement parts. Much better to go easy and follow best practices.
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC quote
Greetings:

What does your K1600 owner's manual recommend, Harbinger?
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
"Ride it like you stole it" is internet slang for "go screw up your motor", put about by idiots.

All motors have to be run in. Some more than others. The way the manufacturers tell you to run in your motor is dependant on what materials have been used in the motors construction, the sort of motor it is ie: air or liquid cooled, it's design and finishing process. Those are the main criteria used to determine the running in technique. For example my Burgman 400 required a rigorous 4000rpm limit to be adhered to for the first 500 miles. This was to protect the mineral coating on the cylinder walls from being damaged.

Our GTS bikes have cast iron cylinders which are much tougher but the cylinder honing can be damaged by going too fast too early and this will limit the life of the piston and rings, causing glazing and higher oil consumption over the life of the engine, which in turn will shorten the motors life over a motor owned by someone who adheres to the instructions in the book. If you have to momentarily go to full throttle for safety reasons on an occasion, that's ok as long as it's very brief.

Main thing to do is avoid fixed throttle riding, as has been said above in other posts. Vary the throttle setting every mile or so. The new motor will generate much more heat as you ride in the first few hundred miles which can damage the motor if you run with the throttle fixed. Closing the throttle at intervals when cruising sucks up much more oil around the piston and rings cooling the top end of the motor and flushing away debris from the piston ring lands (of which there is plenty in the first few hundred miles). Avoid jack rabbit starts from the lights too. But otherwise, just ride it normally doing the things mentioned above and avoiding high speed cruising and heavy full throttle applications. Gradually build up the engine load and revs after the first service so that by the time you get to 1000 miles or so you can use full throttle briefly. After 1500 miles you're good to go, but remember that the running in process lasts several thousands of miles (it's called the conforming process) and the motor continues to shape it's internal parts and smooth things down. The GTS bikes take about 5000 miles for this to fully happen. But it depends to a degree how the bike is used and ridden. After the conforming process the motor will generate full power and best fuel economy.

Worthy of note: Try to avoid too much highway riding. No engine ever gets properly run in on highways. Engines need proper varied load with variable throttle positions. Back roads do this much better where the speed and load on the engine constantly changes. Enjoy!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
My engine (not Piaggio) has an all-aluminum cylinder with hard Diasil coating ... but ...
The speech made by Storm is still valid, the heat expands the metals even if well cooled and the long-term stress of the molecules does not help the duration; therefore it is better to avoid putting too much stress on all the mechanical parts. Nothing is eternal.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
I guess if you bought it you can beat the crap out of it if that's what pleases you, but there's no way to make me believe that beating on it is good for long term durability.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
wentwest wrote:
I guess if you bought it you can beat the crap out of it if that's what pleases you, but there's no way to make me believe that beating on it is good for long term durability.
I'm just one data point at over 46,000 miles on my MP3 500. Nerd emoticon
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Jayhawk wrote:

Eric
Don't worry too much. Ride as you wish.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
wentwest wrote:
I'm just one data point at over 46,000 miles on my MP3 500. Nerd emoticon
A good rule of thumb is that most people who don't care about break in procedure won't care about maintenance recommendations either. You're the exception.

If you were racing a 190 hp superbike, how you break it in might make a difference you could see on the dyno, or it might not. I know that Honda spends hours breaking in their Dakar bikes, and they seem to do well.

With a 25-40 horsepower cvt vehicle, any difference somebody would feel based on how it was broken in would probably be more of the "if I tell you I broke this one in a certain way, and the other one a better way," most people who felt a difference would feel it based on which one they were told was better. It's the old make it louder and slow it down by 15% syndrome. Many people will tell you it's faster than before. Somebody did this as a study, but I don't remember where I saw it.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Jayhawk wrote:

Eric
So you put the dealer address in your cell phone and select option of no highways, and it won't get you there?
OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Well, I could drive an extra hour and a half each way on a way crazy route (nearly tripping the miles), but otherwise... it's highway or no way. I live in Kansas for heaven's sake ...not the densely populated and roads everywhere east coast. I am just lucky I don't have to take the Interstate (which is 75 mph instead of 70 for the highway I have to take).
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

The usual, vary speed and throttle, don't run it too hot and it's ok to up the rpm's a bit. At 1000 KM it goes in for it's first service. There are a lot of different theories on this bike though which isn't a surprise considering how high performance the engine is. Right now I'm up north for a few weeks with the Ural which I love but miss the K and of course the Vespa.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Just to provide backstory and clarify...I've never actually rode a new scooter like I stole it. However, in 1981 when I bought my first Vespa, the dealer told me to do exactly that. In the early 2000s when I bought a Taiwanese "Lambretta", that dealer also said the same. So the concept of ride it like you stole it was embedded early by two dealers. What I did with both scooters is ride them at varying speeds until the first service, but I also did ride them WOT quite a bit but for short periods. Both scooters were sold to others and the "Lambretta" is still cruising around town today.

However, I am a guy who does all maintenance timely, tries to follow the guidance (vary speeds, etc.) but am hampered by the ride to/from my dealers, which involves 25 highway miles (each way) at 75 mph indicated in the right lane...in which I'm still passed by most folks going a non-Vespa/true 75 mph. It's not open throttle, and I suspect I'm likely going an actual 70 mph. However, thanks to living on the plains, back roads are not always an option unless you want to take several extra hours to get somewhere (and that's provided you can find a bridge across the nearest river).

I do value everyone's opinion, and since I only have to go to my dealer for the 500 (or is it 600) mile service in future the only higher than recommended driving time it will have had was the test ride (2 miles...the dealer told me to open it WOT and see what it can do - dealers are problematic, aren't they?), the ride home and the ride back to the dealer. Hopefully, that won't cause any lasting issues or decrease the life of the bike. All other riding will be 60 mph or less with the majority 50 or less in town.

Eric
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Eric ... you just have to remember that you are driving a unique object, speed and power can get them all but the class ... that is not imitable.
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC quote
Greetings:
Quote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

Quote:
The usual, vary speed and throttle, don't run it too hot and it's ok to up the rpm's a bit. At 1000 KM it goes in for it's first service.
Thank you Harbinger! Zo, effen ze highly Precize Bavarians recommend a bit of Diszcretion mit der nieue six-zylinder.

Perhaps thinking back on the Motorcyclist review I was reading about the Boxer Beemer was what the Author was told when he went back to ask about break-in instructions from the DEALER. Yes, dealer advice can be contradictory to accepted practices.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:
Quote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

Quote:
The usual, vary speed and throttle, don't run it too hot and it's ok to up the rpm's a bit. At 1000 KM it goes in for it's first service.
Thank you Harbinger! Zo, effen ze highly Precize Bavarians recommend a bit of Diszcretion mit der nieue six-zylinder.

Perhaps thinking back on the Motorcyclist review I was reading about the Boxer Beemer was what the Author was told when he went back to ask about break-in instructions from the DEALER. Yes, dealer advice can be contradictory to accepted practices.
That is why you don't ask the dealer, you read the manual.
If you ask the dealer you don't know if you are getting someone's opinion or the manufacturer's recommended break in information.
And the last place to ask is the internet.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
And the last place to ask is the internet.
This topic comes up regularly, and it seems like the answers are a smorgasbord - a large variety which allows you to pick out whatever option you like.

Personally, I just believe the manufacturer. I figure they know more about the bike than I do.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
ahhh... break in discussions. second only to oil discussions.

so many experts, so many opinions, so much "experience" flying about.

love it. love it all. just pump it directly into my veins.

carry on, i'll be over here enjoying a cup of coffee and watching gleefully.

-g
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Ciao greasy125, i'm glad you're okay ...
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

-g
Oh I think it runs the same on pretty much every message board. From 300CC here to 1649CC on the board for my other bike and it also is a hot topic on the Ural board. Lots of voodoo and science sort of like a Bond film or Netflix series. MV may get a little out of control sometimes but the BMW crowd can be just as entertaining. The Ural crowd is generally more laid back.
UTC

2014/2019 gts 300 super/ gts 300 touring

2014/2019 gts 300 super/ gts 300 touring
UTC quote
My son has raced dirt bikes since he was 6 and now he's 19. I've built too many engines to count....2 and 4 strokes. With that being said we always run 3 heat cycles on every engine. My heat cycle consists of bringing the cylinder temp up at idle, then riding the bike varying the throttle throughout the ride. After 10 min or so we cool the engine down till absolutely no heat on the cylinder. Then repeat two more times. This seats the rings and never had one dnf because of engine problems in all his career. Everbody has their own way of doing things but this works for me. Hey it's your 8k/ 10k Vespa......do what you want, and s**t it's under warranty👍
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
greasy125 wrote:

-g
Oh I think it runs the same on pretty much every message board. From 300CC here to 1649CC on the board for my other bike and it also is a hot topic on the Ural board. Lots of voodoo and science sort of like a Bond film or Netflix series. MV may get a little out of control sometimes but the BMW crowd can be just as entertaining. The Ural crowd is generally more laid back.
So would the Ural board go along the lines of "ride it like maybe someone else will steal it tomorrow"?
OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
So would the Ural board go along the lines of "ride it like maybe someone else will steal it tomorrow"?
ROFLMAO!!! Laughing emoticon
@touchton avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yellow GTS

Hooked
@touchton avatar
Yellow GTS
UTC quote
Dfree wrote:
My son has raced dirt bikes since he was 6 and now he's 19. I've built too many engines to count....2 and 4 strokes. With that being said we always run 3 heat cycles on every engine. My heat cycle consists of bringing the cylinder temp up at idle, then riding the bike varying the throttle throughout the ride. After 10 min or so we cool the engine down till absolutely no heat on the cylinder. Then repeat two more times. This seats the rings and never had one dnf because of engine problems in all his career. Everbody has their own way of doing things but this works for me. Hey it's your 8k/ 10k Vespa......do what you want, and s**t it's under warranty👍
I've done a similar breakin on all the new motorcycles/scooters I've purchased over the years. I've never had engine problems or any unusual oil consumption. That goes the same with the motorcycles I've bought used too. I don't know how they were broken in. The only exception was a 1973 Triumph Bonneville that only leaked oil if there was some in it. I can't attribute that to how that bike was broken in.

I can't make any claim as to this being any better than the manufacturer's, or anyone else's, breakin method. I'm comfortable with it and it makes sense to me. Right or wrong. I would say do whatever you're comfortable with. If it's the manufacture's ride easily for 600 miles or so, go for it. Whatever helps you sleep at night is what I suggest.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
greasy125 wrote:

-g
Yeah more or less. The added benefit is they are a bitch to steal. Hard to toss up in to a van and most people would have no clue how to pilot one. Just don't park it or your going to be stuck in conversation after conversation after.... Actually got my girl up to 125 kmh today, wind must have been at my back. Best part is I got here here.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
jokes on you, comrade. in soviet russia, bike steals you!
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Break In
I am pretty boring and just follow the manufactures recommendations.

I expect a gaggle of you also "Color Outside the Lines" in a bunch of
other ways.

You are Wild and Crazy Guys!

Bullwinkle J Moose
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
I am not being passive aggressive - you guys are all great and each break in method is probably okay.
I am not being passive aggressive - you guys are all great and each break in method is probably okay.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Greasy if you get bored over here...

It's a hot topic around the world.

https://www.k1600forum.com/search/46187/?q=Engine+break+in&o=relevance
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2644s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1629s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]