ET2 to MP3
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Vespa ET2
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 pm quote
Hey all!

My Et2 just died on me. Giving me a ton of trouble. I also just got my M endorsement on my license.

Thinking of picking up an 2009 MP3 500. It has just over 1200 miles, and the seller is asking $3400 for it.

Iíve never ridden a 3 wheeler before but Iíve been reading up on it and consensus seems to be as long as I donít treat it like a self balancing vehicle and have some wits about me when Learning To ride, Iíll be ok.

Anything youíd look out for when buying one of these?
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:18 am quote
Yes, there are some things to look out for, but at 1200 miles, they won't have shown up yet. Other than the normal things to look out for with an 11 year old bike that hasn't been ridden much (change all the fluids, including the tilt lock fluid, change the tires, new battery, new belt, etc), there are a couple more:

1) The steering notch. Get your steering bearings greased and set to the right preload. Doing this now will save you a bunch of misery later.
2) The cracked piston/ oil blow problem. Always use premium gas, use 15w50 weight oil, don't fill the oil above 1/2 dipstick or 1500 ml, and try to keep from going too much above 5000 RPM for extended periods. If oil drips out of the airbox, then time for a top end rebuild.

Otherwise, you'll find that the 500 is a much more serious machine than the ET2, capable of 90 MPH and good acceleration, with a whole bunch of weight behind it. Cornering will require more countersteering than leaning, so get used to pushing forward on the handlebar toward the direction you want to go and it will lean right over like it should- otherwise you'll fight it every time you want to lean into a curve. Drive very conservatively at first- it's a big bike and not at all like a 50cc lightweight, and it can overwhelm you in a hurry. Even though it has good brakes, leave plenty of following distance and never assume the car can see you- it's even more important when you go faster- and look out for driveways and intersections especially.

But then when you get comfortable driving down a country highway at 50 MPH, there's nothing like it. The grin won't come off your face for hours.
Vespa ET2
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:30 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
Yes, there are some things to look out for, but at 1200 miles, they won't have shown up yet. Other than the normal things to look out for with an 11 year old bike that hasn't been ridden much (change all the fluids, including the tilt lock fluid, change the tires, new battery, new belt, etc), there are a couple more:

1) The steering notch. Get your steering bearings greased and set to the right preload. Doing this now will save you a bunch of misery later.
2) The cracked piston/ oil blow problem. Always use premium gas, use 15w50 weight oil, don't fill the oil above 1/2 dipstick or 1500 ml, and try to keep from going too much above 5000 RPM for extended periods. If oil drips out of the airbox, then time for a top end rebuild.

Otherwise, you'll find that the 500 is a much more serious machine than the ET2, capable of 90 MPH and good acceleration, with a whole bunch of weight behind it. Cornering will require more countersteering than leaning, so get used to pushing forward on the handlebar toward the direction you want to go and it will lean right over like it should- otherwise you'll fight it every time you want to lean into a curve. Drive very conservatively at first- it's a big bike and not at all like a 50cc lightweight, and it can overwhelm you in a hurry. Even though it has good brakes, leave plenty of following distance and never assume the car can see you- it's even more important when you go faster- and look out for driveways and intersections especially.

But then when you get comfortable driving down a country highway at 50 MPH, there's nothing like it. The grin won't come off your face for hours.
What a great reply! What do you think about the price? The seller is saying it needs nothing and I could bring a plate and ride it away!
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am quote
Price is average for the age and mileage. You'll have to judge condition and go from there.

Ignore what the seller says about it not needing work. They obviously weren't using it so what do they know? It probably hasn't had any maintenance in the last 10 years. Needs a lot of catching up.

All of the fluids. Tires? Drive belt? Hoses?

The MP3 family are tall wide and heavy compared to other scooters. So treat it like a motorcycle.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:13 am quote
It's a good but not outstanding price for an almost new bike. They were something like $9000 new. But you have to remember that after 11 years it will need every single maintenance item addressed, even though the mileage hasn't reached the threshold for doing them, that's why $3400 is not too out of line. You could spend $1500 getting it into tip-top shape (maybe $500 if you do the work yourself).

I'd rather have good new tires on a bike that can go 90 MPH, for example. And brake fluid should be changed every 4-5 years because it sucks moisture from the air and degrades- if it's brown, it needed a change two years ago.
Mp3 500
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:27 am quote
Low mileage MP3 500
3+ years ago I bought a 1100 mile, 2010 MP3-500. I paid 4000. I drove it and changed the fluids, filters etc. as I learned how. This site is great for information with helpful people. I am at 5000 miles with no major problems. I now need a new rear tire. There is no dealer nearby so I have to do all the upkeep. There are online sources for parts. You may have a dealer. As of late there are few scooters for sale , the demand is high.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:27 am quote
Re: ET2 to MP3
rey-b wrote:
Hey all!

My Et2 just died on me. Giving me a ton of trouble. I also just got my M endorsement on my license.

Thinking of picking up an 2009 MP3 500. It has just over 1200 miles, and the seller is asking $3400 for it.

Iíve never ridden a 3 wheeler before but Iíve been reading up on it and consensus seems to be as long as I donít treat it like a self balancing vehicle and have some wits about me when Learning To ride, Iíll be ok.

Anything youíd look out for when buying one of these?
I answered a question which can be a bit similar to yours, I copied and pasted it below:

I have the MP3 400 2009, I love it, but I bought it for the reason thinking it was much more safer to ride in the rain, as it has 3 wheels but it turned out that it is the same as a two wheeler. Now do I regret buying it? (second hand), No, I do not regret it. Once you buy a scooter (or other transport vehicle) it should satisfy your needs, so ask yourself, why you want the MP3? what are the cost considerations? such as the difference in cost price, the difference in cost of maintenance, etc.... once you have thought about all these points, you can decide.

As I said, I love my scooter and if I went back in time, I would buy Yamaha Majesty, at least they are cheaper in their maintenance and they are great quality and got power.

Good luck.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.3983s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0690s) ][ Debug on ]