Aprillia Mana 850 3 wheeler
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 4207
Location: Netherlands Olst
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8663
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:53 am quote
Looks good, Chrome translate the article fine so I could read it.
Member
MP3-400
Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 17
Location: USA
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:44 pm quote
https://advrider.com/aprilia-three-wheeler-under-development/

Looks pretty bitchin’ perfect imo! Bad thing is it may take 20 years (to never) to cross the Atlantic

Aprilia Rocks and it already has Piaggio patents in-house. I got the first BMW F650 in Jan 3, 97 (In USA on this side of the pond) and that engine lasted about 20 years total in various models/vehicle types worldwide.

The Nikon was what, 130 hp on 3 wheels flopping around on a 800 lb (?) bike with 4 forks on it? I sat on one and it was BIG (and with Kawasaki power, heavy weight, and seemingly unsteady chassis: I just got off of it being afraid to test lean it standing still.) Aprilia rocks though and can combine Great multinational bike companies into a 20 year long straight vehicle (BMW didn’t like it because they distracted buyers from their $30K cruiser boats.)

Safety in balance of 3-stable wheels and moderate power to get out of the way of modern FI cars has finally arrived. Judging from the BMW F650, it will take about 3 to 5 years to cross the big pond. This is really BIG though since this will be the first 3 wheeler to finally steal car drivers due to SAFETY and real economy.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 11496
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:38 am quote
Schootz wrote:
The Nikon was what, 130 hp on 3 wheels flopping around on a 800 lb (?) bike with 4 forks on it? I sat on one and it was BIG (and with Kawasaki power, heavy weight, and seemingly unsteady chassis: I just got off of it being afraid to test lean it standing still.) Aprilia rocks though and can combine Great multinational bike companies into a 20 year long straight vehicle (BMW didn’t like it because they distracted buyers from their $30K cruiser boats.)
What is the connection between the Yamaha Niken and Kawasaki?
Member
MP3-400
Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 17
Location: USA
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 am quote
This really is BIG! This will be 4” shorter than the only 3 wheeler that could fit in a van or pickup truck mp3 (, 11 or 19 RWHP versions, LOL) All the rest are over 5’ wide (sheesh!), 800 lbs ( no comment), no front leaning wheel (the most innovative 3 wheel feature ever), and then ALL 3 wheelers are stalled on PIAGGIO 3-wheel PATENT LAW SUITS!

I can envision all 60 year old(plus) men all over the world, either lacing up, or shining, or ordering a new pair of motorin’ boots (my 2 pair of boots need shining and new orthotic Redwing foam pads with leather covers)

Aprilia is about to conceive a ‘small’ FWL scooter (4” shorter than MP3 400/500) from the largest and fastest scooter made Aprilia Mana 850, and the safest (until now) Piaggio Mp3 400/500. The bottom line is SAFETY! (Cut & Paste simple with MP3 front end and Aprilia Mano 850 everything else.)

And with that (Patented) bottom line, IMO, they are going to scoop HD, BMW, all 3 wheelers, all large scooter, a significant portion of motorcycle and car markets, all in one giant WHOOSH.

GO APRILIA!
Member
MP3-400
Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 17
Location: USA
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:10 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Schootz wrote:
The Nikon was what, 130 hp on 3 wheels flopping around on a 800 lb (?) bike with 4 forks on it? I sat on one and it was BIG (and with Kawasaki power, heavy weight, and seemingly unsteady chassis: I just got off of it being afraid to test lean it standing still.) Aprilia rocks though and can combine Great multinational bike companies into a 20 year long straight vehicle (BMW didn’t like it because they distracted buyers from their $30K cruiser boats.)
What is the connection between the Yamaha Niken and Kawasaki?
Thank you for flagging my Japanese motorcycle error. I have a Kawasaki Versus 650 I’m going to transfer to my first cousin; and had just finalized its replacement alternative yesterday evening! But generally, Kawasaki’s and Yamaha’s are big and fast and I was excited about finding a Safe candidate for a replacement motorcycle, so Kawasaki was hanging in my subliminal as a future task to complete.

I don’t know how to edit posts or I would. Thanks again!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38990
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:27 pm quote
I see they are apparently still going to use a chain drive - the biggest drawback to the Mana and the GP800. A drive belt would have persuaded me to keep my old GP800 rather than almost give it away. That chain was a PITA - difficult to clean and a bugger to change the pinion and drive gear.

I would have added the 492cc top ends to make it a GP980. That would have been lovely... <sigh>
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 4207
Location: Netherlands Olst
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:57 am quote
Quote:
ALL 3 wheelers are stalled on PIAGGIO 3-wheel PATENT LAW SUITS!
No they aren't you got Peugeot, Quadro / Aeon , Yamaha, Kymco, Adiva that make and sell 3 wheeled vehicles

and therre is still a rumor that pops up once in while that BMW is intrested in the brand Gilera
Member
MP3-400
Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 17
Location: USA
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:54 am quote
jimc wrote:
I see they are apparently still going to use a chain drive - the biggest drawback to the Mana and the GP800. A drive belt would have persuaded me to keep my old GP800 rather than almost give it away. That chain was a PITA - difficult to clean and a bugger to change the pinion and drive gear.

I would have added the 492cc top ends to make it a GP980. That would have been lovely... <sigh>
I used to think that way coming from bmw’s, but 1- get the best lifetime chain possible (chrome covered I think), 2- clean with (specific chain cleaner) spray solvents and with (Motul) spray chain oils, 3- and MOST importantly (!) make sure your mechanic is not over tightening and under tightening your chain until it snaps. It’s the best way to recognize a rip-off mechanic, regardless of what else he does right. YOU’RE FIRED!

But a well maintenanced chain is smooth as glass, and may be the most efficient motorcycle drive possible. It just takes constant attention, but drives remarkable. The technology is in the chain and cleaning/oil sprays. Any cheap link in the process is just wasting your time, chain, money, sprockets, Safety, ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8663
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:44 am quote
Schootz wrote:
jimc wrote:
I see they are apparently still going to use a chain drive - the biggest drawback to the Mana and the GP800. A drive belt would have persuaded me to keep my old GP800 rather than almost give it away. That chain was a PITA - difficult to clean and a bugger to change the pinion and drive gear.

I would have added the 492cc top ends to make it a GP980. That would have been lovely... <sigh>
I used to think that way coming from bmw’s, but 1- get the best lifetime chain possible (chrome covered I think), 2- clean with (specific chain cleaner) spray solvents and with (Motul) spray chain oils, 3- and MOST importantly (!) make sure your mechanic is not over tightening and under tightening your chain until it snaps. It’s the best way to recognize a rip-off mechanic, regardless of what else he does right. YOU’RE FIRED!

But a well maintenanced chain is smooth as glass, and may be the most efficient motorcycle drive possible. It just takes constant attention, but drives remarkable. The technology is in the chain and cleaning/oil sprays. Any cheap link in the process is just wasting your time, chain, money, sprockets, Safety, ...
As JimC stated it is hard to clean the chain and from stories an absolute PIA to change. This is one of the reasons sales never really took off on these.
Member
MP3-400
Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 17
Location: USA
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:52 pm quote
Yes, my 2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 cc is a high midrange torque Ninja 650 engine and it will snap linked chains off quickly: there are no alternatives to chain (drive) types, and then need to also specify lifetime durable chains (and change sprockets (oem) each time.)

I don’t know if different drive types would even work. I have to trust Japanese engineers. I have come to conclude that Advrider post was spam, as nothing under Aprilia, Piaggio, or Vespa even remotely backs it up (except similar spam every couple of years-?) The whole concept of a ‘scooter’ portable vehicle supporting 70rwhp is a little far-fetched anyway (apples and oranges.) I was just looking for an alternative to fit in my van. Plan b is a winch for my van ramp, which was my original plan.

The only reason for the 60 rwhp minimum on a motorcycle is to not to get run over -Safety! Maybe more rwhp for heavy 3 wheelers. The Advrider spam hit all the right (illogical) combinations, but they are in no way a prime resource of information. Reality and Safetywise, we are talking apples and oranges. Safety is a dead requirement, and no scooter is going to put out 70rwhp like the spam indicated. And I cannot fit a 5’ wide spider in my van neither.

Maybe I just busted the portable 3-wheel myth that could get young people killed by multi-talkers in fast FI cars.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1411s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0319s) ][ Debug on ]