BV350 won't start
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 am quote
On Saturday I got a new front tire (Pirelli Angel Scoot), and everything worked fine. That afternoon I swapped windshields from the stock to the Givi 5606 for winter riding. Again, everything was fine.

This morning I started it up as usual. When I rolled it out of the garage into the driveway, I noticed that the dashboard (LCD screen(s)) were blank. No image on them, and no backlight. The engine was idling, and I also noticed some resistance as I was rolling it out. I shut it off, then tried to restart. Nothing happened. No click, no starter noise, nothing. I moved all switches to the off position, and put it on the center stand. Turned the key to run and the on/off to on, and again, nothing happened when I tried to start it. So i backed it in to the garage and connected the battery tender (just in case), and told the wife that I was taking the car to work today.

I always park it with the handlebars in the lock position, with the key out. Nothing is plugged into the USB port. The temperature was in the low-60s overnight.

Any ideas as to what might have caused this?
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:25 am quote
Maybe the battery is going south...symptoms of bad batteries can be all over the place. Check battery connections first.

Bob
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:53 am quote
BVBob wrote:
Maybe the battery is going south...symptoms of bad batteries can be all over the place. Check battery connections first.

Bob
Brand-new battery as of April 24.

Will check connections when I get home, though.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:00 am quote
I was going to ask a battery question myself!

I went to connect heated gear and I noticed the screw for the black side of the battery doesn't catch. I put some electrical tape over it; seems to be working fine, but, can you get something to help it catch?

K
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:21 am quote
Check the battery connections, then all fuses - and their connections!
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:27 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:

I went to connect heated gear and I noticed the screw for the black side of the battery doesn't catch. I put some electrical tape over it; seems to be working fine, but, can you get something to help it catch?

K
You mean the square nut inside the battery terminal? Sometimes when you add a wire to the battery terminals (for heated gear for example) the screw doesn't quite reach the square nut. Put something like a matchstick, bit of styrofoam, rolled tape, etc. under the nut to lift it up enough to catch the screw threads.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:14 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:

I went to connect heated gear and I noticed the bolt for the black side of the battery doesn't catch. I put some electrical tape over it; seems to be working fine, but, can you get something to help it catch?

K
You mean the square nut inside the battery terminal? Sometimes when you add a wire to the battery terminals (for heated gear for example) the screw doesn't quite reach the square nut. Put something like a matchstick, bit of styrofoam, rolled tape, etc. under the nut to lift it up enough to catch the screw threads.
Thank you. -I can't see the washer (upgraded the horn and added foglights) as I'm sure that the other two add-ons I think made it so they wouldn't all fit. I'm going to try and find a larger bolt at a hardware store today. Not sure if it needs to be made out of anything special, but the thing just turns and turns with no catch.
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:40 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Thank you. -I can't see the washer (upgraded the horn and added foglights) as I'm sure that the other two add-ons I think made it so they wouldn't all fit. I'm going to try and find a larger bolt at a hardware store today. Not sure if it needs to be made out of anything special, but the thing just turns and turns with no catch.
They appear to be metric M6, 1.0 pitch. I expect many hardware stores have stainless steel bolts in the size you need.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:16 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:

I went to connect heated gear and I noticed the bolt for the black side of the battery doesn't catch. I put some electrical tape over it; seems to be working fine, but, can you get something to help it catch?

K
be really careful adding a longer bolt as it can be too long and puncture the case. Use a zip tie and just slide the end in under the square nut to help lift it just a bit and then you should be able to start the bolt.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:34 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:

K
be really careful adding a longer bolt as it can be too long and puncture the case. Use a zip tie and just slide the end in under the square nut to help lift it just a bit and then you should be able to start the bolt.
Thanks for the advice; I'll keep you posted. On a related note, my 45 degree ride was nice and toasty this morning.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:21 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Check the battery connections, then all fuses - and their connections!
The negative terminal was corroded, so I cleaned it off using the Coca-cola method. The battery charge is good.

So I started to check the fuses. Turns out the 10A fuse that serves the starter relay was blown. Went to O’Reilly Auto Parts & bought a 5-pack of ‘em for $4. Installed a new fuse, no joy. Checked the new fuse, and it is blown.

So I’ll be contacting the shop in the morning.
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:22 pm quote
Keep us informed on any resolution.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:09 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
You can use a larger wire gauge eyelet and run all the upgrades into it. Example: if you have three 16 gauge wires, you can fit them into a 10-12 gauge eyelet. I use the heat shrink crimp connectors.

Last edited by breaknwind on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:10 am quote
oops
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:19 am quote
monogodo wrote:
The negative terminal was corroded, so I cleaned it off using the Coca-cola method.

I thought it was an urban legend ...
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:54 am quote
Attila wrote:
monogodo wrote:
The negative terminal was corroded, so I cleaned it off using the Coca-cola method.

Nope, it works. The service department at the dealership also recommended it.
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:14 am quote
monogodo wrote:
Attila wrote:
monogodo wrote:

Nope, it works. The service department at the dealership also recommended it.
If the technical assistance had been italian he would have recommended balsamic vinegar, even the quite corrosive one.
Enthusiast
16 Piaggio BV350 2004 Scarabeo 500
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:05 pm quote
To add electrical items you should put a fuse box under the seat it really makes a clean and tidy install .
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:53 am quote
Dropped it off at the dealership last night. They currently have a 3-4 day lead time on getting to repairs, so I'll know more later this week.

I also discovered that my rear tire was completely flat, so they'll be checking that, and if it needs replacing, I'll get a Pirelli Angel Scoot for it to match the front.

Here's hoping it's a simple relay or something else minor.
2017 Piaggio BV 350
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:32 am quote
Please keep us informed of what they find. I too have a 2017 and like to be aware of possible issues I may encounter. How many miles do you have on yours?
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:42 am quote
chickdr wrote:
Please keep us informed of what they find. I too have a 2017 and like to be aware of possible issues I may encounter. How many miles do you have on yours?
Approximately 11k (it had 10,969 miles on it when they installed the new front tire on Saturday, then I drove it home, which was about 30 miles away from the shop).

I still haven't heard anything, which is both expected and frustrating. Expected because I know they currently have that 3-4 day lead time (although they mentioned that they had a good day Tuesday, and were getting caught up). But frustrating, because I want to get it back.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:35 am quote
Super Dirt
Super Dirt Dud wrote:
To add electrical items you should put a fuse box under the seat it really makes a clean and tidy install .
Hey Super,
Being not mechanical at all, are you talking about a 12 volt relay? Is this something a novice (pre-novice if you can believe it) can manage? I'm down to do it; I don't want to mess with my battery power. I thought they installed a relay when I upgraded the horn and added fog lights, but I don't know what I'm looking at exactly. Just looks like the plain battery to me; I don't see the little square plug thing.
Thanks in advance to you, and thanks to all for your help. To the OP, good luck! I've decided to commute as much as possible and a week without my scooter would make me insane. Hang in!
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:42 am quote
Solution Found
Just got off the phone with the service writer from the shop.

There's a short in the license plate assembly that is causing the license plate bulb and the fuse to blow. So they're replacing the bulb and the assembly. It will take a week or two to get it completed, as they have to order the bulb from Italy.

They also discovered a puncture in the rear tire, so they're replacing it with a new Pirelli Angel Scoot to match the front.

Total cost of the repair will be about $550 (they initially quoted me that price with a City Grip).

EDIT: Revised price: $563.46.
Addicted

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:55 am quote
Bulb from italy?
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:34 am quote
Re: Solution Found
monogodo wrote:

There's a short in the license plate assembly that is causing the license plate bulb and the fuse to blow. So they're replacing the bulb and the assembly. It will take a week or two to get it completed, as they have to order the bulb from Italy.

They also discovered a puncture in the rear tire, so they're replacing it with a new Pirelli Angel Scoot to match the front.

Total cost of the repair will be about $550 (they initially quoted me that price with a City Grip).

Good luck. Without any intention of bearing bad news I'll let you know that over the summer I ordered the piece that holds the reflector (the RT side) and the reflector in early-mid August. It came in the end of September because they were waiting for it to come in from Italy. I hope you won't be waiting as many wks, but I wanted to prepare you.
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 am quote
Couldn't the license plate assembly be repaired by bending, cutting or soldering the contacts? I seem to recall doing that with one of the lights on a scooter, though I don't know if it was the BV or not. The bulb itself should be available from somewhere closer than Italy, or at least on-line. Good luck!
Hooked
LX125, Beverly 350
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:04 am quote
monogodo wrote:

500 what?? Sorry couldn't resist. thats a lot of dollars. lights are on a separate circuit to the starter so shouldn't prohibit starting.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:09 pm quote
Blackmoon181 wrote:
monogodo wrote:

500 what?? Sorry couldn't resist. thats a lot of dollars. lights are on a separate circuit to the starter so shouldn't prohibit starting.
From the manual:
Quote:
Fuse no. 6 Capacity: 10A
Protected circuits: key powered
PMP2 pre-installation, anti-theft
pre-installation, turn indicator
control device, high-beam flash,
instrument panel, horn, daylight
running lights, stop lights, license
plate light, starter relay (coil),.
So yes, they are on the same circuit. Or, at least the starter relay is on the same circuit as most of the lights.

As for the $500+, half of that is shop labor, and most of the remaining half is the cost of the tire. Ironically, the item that is holding up the repair is the least expensive one (light bulb).
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 pm quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Bulb from italy?
It's a common wedge base miniature bulb that about any auto parts store in the US should have,

When I went to look at the bulb in my BV350, the license plate light assembly fell apart in my hand! So, I'm gonna have to order a replacement -- or try to repair it.

IMG_0044.jpg
#194 miniature bulb

Enthusiast
2009 Aprilia SC250, 2016 Piaggio BV350
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:04 pm quote
monogodo wrote:

See if the tech can at least point out where the short was as my first thought was corrosion - curious if you have other spots to be concerned about.

And on keeping the fingers crossed; be mentally prepared that this may not be the cause. A bit odd that this could take down the bike. I would think you can disconnect it and it wouldn't blow the fuse - so the bike should run without the license plate light working.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:14 pm quote
spacetiger wrote:
monogodo wrote:

See if the tech can at least point out where the short was as my first thought was corrosion - curious if you have other spots to be concerned about.

And on keeping the fingers crossed; be mentally prepared that this may not be the cause. A bit odd that this could take down the bike. I would think you can disconnect it and it wouldn't blow the fuse - so the bike should run without the license plate light working.
Apparently the issue is the short in the assembly, and the blown bulb and fuse are symptoms of the short. I would hope that a burned out plate light bulb wouldn't disable the entire bike. But I can understand a short causing the fuse to blow doing so.

I'll check with them tomorrow (they're closed today) to see if they're ok with me supplying the bulb.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:18 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
When I went to look at the bulb in my BV350, the license plate light assembly fell apart in my hand! So, I'm gonna have to order a replacement -- or try to repair it.
I had something similar...it didn't take much to break if off. I had good luck with adhesive.....can't remember which now, but it's still holding a year later.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Bulb from italy?
It's a common wedge base miniature bulb that about any auto parts store in the US should have,

They called it a bulb, but the estimate lists the part number - it's an entire assembly.

Their price is cheaper than I've found online, but it might be worth it to pay more to get the scooter back sooner.
Ossessionato
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:22 pm quote
When I made the custom fender for Scoot Life, I installed an LED plate illuminator. The Commuter is in the shed (1 1/2 mile away ) so I can't check if it can be retrofitted right now. I'll check this weekend. The difference between the two is night and day
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:01 pm quote
I spoke/emailed with the shop and learned that Piaggio's computer system is down, so they can't even check the status of the order. So they don't know if it's been shipped or anything. It could arrive tomorrow, it could arrive weeks from now.

I asked about the possibility of obtaining the part from Scooterwest. They didn't have a problem with me getting it there, but that I'd have to have it delivered to me, as they don't accept drop-shipped parts.

Scooterwest was very helpful, also. With shipping, I'll end up paying $7 more for the part than if I'd waited on Piaggio to ship it, but I'll get my BV back quicker.

My main concern is time. My wife and I only have one car, and I use the BV for commuting. She currently works from home, but would like the option to go pick up lunch or run an errand during the day. It's worth $7 to me for that.
Ossessionato
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:24 pm quote
breaknwind wrote:
When I made the custom fender for Scoot Life, I installed an LED plate illuminator. The Commuter is in the shed (1 1/2 mile away ) so I can't check if it can be retrofitted right now. I'll check this weekend. The difference between the two is night and day
Do you remember how much of the plastic has to be removed to get to the license plate light connector?
Ossessionato
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:39 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Do you remember how much of the plastic has to be removed to get to the license plate light connector?
I was working on my boat today. Will be working on the motor mount silent block tomorrow. I'll try my best to remember to reverse engineer the stock fender plate light. If I remember to do it, I'll give a best guess recommendation for an led replacement.
Off the top of my head. You'll have to remove the passenger grab rail, small plastic cover and separate the tail light with the screw to gain access to the plug.
Ossessionato
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:48 pm quote
breaknwind wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
I was working on my boat today. Will be working on the motor mount silent block tomorrow. I'll try my best to remember to reverse engineer the stock fender plate light. If I remember to do it, I'll give a best guess recommendation for an led replacement.
Off the top of my head. You'll have to remove the passenger grab rail, small plastic cover and separate the tail light with the screw to gain access to the plug.
Thanks
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:32 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
It wasn't so hard after all. I had ordered a whole new assembly, but replaced only the broken plastic shell and the bulb and left the old wiring in place.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:13 am quote
The part is out for delivery today, so it should be waiting for me when I get home from work. Since the shop is closed today, I'll take it to work with me and bring it to them on my lunch break tomorrow.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1964s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0444s) ][ Debug on ]