ACF 50 on not just the underside of the floorboards
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:03 am quote
I was lucky to purchase a pristine 2018 Vespa GTS 300. It is gorgeous and rides much lighter than my 2010 GTS 300.
Already riding it in NYC I can tell the Vespa is screaming and shouting for having to deal with the abuse of the shittiest of shitty roads. It had been used to smooth roads in PA and upstate NY.
Anyway I want to protect it from ever getting any rust and to that effect anything everything I can do to mitigate it will be helpful.
Having read many posts of ACF 50, I purchased a large bottle and will use a spray bottle to apply on the underside of the floor board.
Question I have is can I apply it to the other parts of the body except of course the brakes/tires/handle grips and foot pegs.
After I have washed and cleaned the scooter, I was thinking of spraying on the ACF 50 everywhere except the areas I mentioned and then wiping it down after 10-15 mins.
Question is will it ruin the shine/gloss on the scooter.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:52 am quote
From reading about it on the internet, I am reminded of the old guy with Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It appears to be similar to WD-40, and should be fine on everything. Once you clean off the engine, it wouldn't be a bad idea to apply some there too.
Vespa Elettrica 70km
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:47 am quote
ACF50 is a great rust inhibitor and will protect your scooter if you reapply it on a regular basis , however it does attract dirt and so your scooter will not be quite as shiny as it may have been if you donít apply it , but it will be rust protected - everything has its pros and cons .
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:33 am quote
Where did you purchase it from? Brick-and-mortar or the internet?
Addicted
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:05 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
Where did you purchase it from? Brick-and-mortar or the internet?
I couldn't find it at any of the local hardware stores here in Brooklyn.
I finally succumbed to and bought it online at Amazon, I also did not buy the spray can, I bought a 32 Oz bottle and will use a $2 spray bottle I have had from Home Depot. I saw a video online of someone spraying it using a air spray gun and applying liberally. I did not see them wipe it down though.

From reading up on their site, seems that best results are to spray it then wait 10-15 minutes and wipe it off, leaves a film on that is supposed to last for a while. I'd be glad if it lasts from November through April i.e. 6 months.
Will take some before and after pics.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:00 pm quote
ACF 50 is not really a long term treatment, as in, spray it on and leave it. It has to be applied on a regular basis. So treating the underfloor area is not a good idea as it will require doing again in 12 months when the ACF 50 loses it's capacity to protect the bike. Use it by all means under the bottom of the bike that is exposed to the elements but it should be retreated by cleaning off the old stuff taking with it the dirt and then reapplying.

I'd personally use Waxoyl (which may or may not be available in the States) or Dinitrol. Dinitrol is similar to Waxoyl and is a permanent treatment if you choose the right one to buy. They make several types for different applications. You want the clear waxy one which is packed with rust killing chemicals and is resistant to corrosion of all types. It too needs reapplying a couple of times a year if you use it in exposed areas under the bike, but under the floor area (as opposed to under the bike) and in the battery compartment it's fine and will never need doing again.
Addicted
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:50 pm quote
Quote:
ACF 50 is not really a long term treatment, as in, spray it on and leave it. It has to be applied on a regular basis. So treating the underfloor area is not a good idea as it will require doing again in 12 months when the ACF 50 loses it's capacity to protect the bike. Use it by all means under the bottom of the bike that is exposed to the elements but it should be retreated by cleaning off the old stuff taking with it the dirt and then reapplying.
Thanks for that info. I believe using ACF50 will be a once or twice year policy for me.
My personal experience with the previous Vespa has made me want to keep on top of that aspect of maintenance on the Vespa. I had not checked under the floorboards and never bothered, and by the time I was checking it it was not an ideal situation. That has me wanting to be on top of the game to prevent rust from taking over if I can help avoid it.
Enthusiast
í20 GTS 300 hpe
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:22 pm quote
Stromrider wrote:

I'd personally use Waxoyl (which may or may not be available in the States) or Dinitrol. Dinitrol is similar to Waxoyl and is a permanent treatment if you choose the right one to buy. They make several types for different applications. You want the clear waxy one which is packed with rust killing chemicals and is resistant to corrosion of all types. It too needs reapplying a couple of times a year if you use it in exposed areas under the bike, but under the floor area (as opposed to under the bike) and in the battery compartment itís fine and will never need doing again.
Does anyone have a suggestion for Waxoyl or Dinitrol like treatments in the US?
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:52 pm quote
Greetings:

Boeing-developed Boeshield T-9. Sprays on like WD-40 but leaves a paraffin wax coating.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:45 pm quote
Dinitrol is available in the US.
GTS 300 HPE

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:04 am quote
I'm not sure if a product called XCP is available in the US but in tests it out-performs ACF 50:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/the-best-motorcycle-corrosion-protectants/tested-xcp-rust-blocker-corrosion-protectant-review

John

Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 10.02.26.png

Addicted
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:01 am quote
Scooter John wrote:
I'm not sure if a product called XCP is available in the US but in tests it out-performs ACF 50:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/the-best-motorcycle-corrosion-protectants/tested-xcp-rust-blocker-corrosion-protectant-review

John
I found it available on amazon uk site & priced it out for US deliveries too.
The cost of the product on Amazon is £8plus S&H to the U.S. of £10
So roughly £18 which amounts to about $24-25.
I shall buy one after I have tried the ACF50 that I already ordered, will get the XCP in March 2021 and shall test it.

Anyone living in or near NYC who wants to get some ACF50 sprayed on can come by my place and get it done since I ordered a 32oz bottle will have enough to go around.
Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:39 am quote
The Vespa just had a complete Detail done with wax ,I was told not to wash it with a soap that would remove the wax. I would just sprey the under side. How are you making out with it?
Older Guy
2007 GTS 250
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 am quote
Rust-proofing a vespa
Hey Baba, welcome to the forum.

I'm in the NYC metro area, regularly visiting the boroughs. A little while ago, I got a great deal on a 2007 GTS 250, and as it was in immaculate condition, wanted to preserve & protect it as well as possible. Despite having less than 1500 miles on it, there was already superficial rust on the bottom, so started researching recommended remedies. This site has been a great resource, and the tips from UK riders about combating rust are pretty helpful. Some of the more useful ones are:

Applying a clear plastic film such as 3M Clear Bra to rust prone areas,

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic5193?highlight=bra

Installing a front fender extender,

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic169224?highlight=fender+extender

And applying a rust inhibitor to the inner tub, beneath the floorboard,

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic125788?highlight=recommendations+rust+wax

They recommend products such as ACF 50, Dinitrol or Waxoyl. Some of those may not be easy to source in the USA, so I'm going to go with Cosmoline RP-342 in the inner tub.

I'm currently performing all these modifications, and with the exception of Cosmoline, there are generic, & inexpensive versions of the clear bra film & fender extenders available on ebay.

IMO, the fender extender will probably deliver the best bang for buck results, and is about a 30 minute job. But, keep the scooter clean, regularly check & correct for rust and you'll maximize the longevity.

For the premium price these cost new, Vespa should have switched to galvanized steel 30 years ago. That extra $5 per unit, which translates to $100,000 is savings for the 20,000 units they shift per year isn't going to break the bank.

But, since its marketed as a luxury product for the rich to bounce around the Hamptons or Palm Beach, their target demographic probably doesn't care about durability.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 am quote
Hi Baba again! I would wrap up the harness and wrap plastic and all the wires as well. That stuff will just eat up the adhesive from the electrical tape.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Vespa Primavera 50cc
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:31 pm quote
My bike came with a scratch from the dealer so I apply this to be safe. However it does attract dirt. I just reapply when I wash my bike. You may be able to find it on eBay.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-check-coat-protect-350-g-0477921p.html#srp
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1623s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0255s) ][ Debug on ]