@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
Rescuing this Vespa S and gas tank is clean and no rust. However it has some kind of sticky old oil in it. Any suggestion to remove these sticky oil to clean the tank?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb
UTC quote
You could start by sloshing a cup of gas around to help break up the oil.
Drain it off and then put in a degreaser like Simple Green and hot water. Shake it around for a good 10 or 15 minutes and see what you have.

If you need abrasives my favorite is black rock. But you can used pennies or old washers, nuts etc. too.
@dirty30dillon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Yes

Enthusiast
@dirty30dillon avatar
Yes
UTC quote
Re: What is best to clean gas tank?
ph0ngvu wrote:
Rescuing this Vespa S and gas tank is clean and no rust. However it has some kind of sticky old oil in it. Any suggestion to remove these sticky oil to clean the tank?
Depending on how crusty it actually is, I have used "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner which is a fairly safe acid. slosh it around for 20-30 minutes and even very rusty tanks are clean.

I've also used muriatic acid, but it is much harder to handle safely and will wreck alu parts that are in it's way.

Either way you will have to pull the tank to clean it.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
If its good except for the gooey residue, I'd try the cup of gas suggested and if that won't dissolve it, I'd move up tp lacquer thinner or acetone.
OP
@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
Yea. Wd40 didn't do it. Degreaser gave up on it. I'm trying gas next. The blackish brownish stuff is sticky and soft like jelly silicone.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
If its good except for the gooey residue, I'd try the cup of gas suggested and if that won't dissolve it, I'd move up tp lacquer thinner or acetone.
^^^ This...
OP
@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
Yep. gas worked perfectly.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0497s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0241s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]