GTS HPE Top Case Interior Dimensions?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
BV350
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:02 am quote
I've been mostly in-city-only driving recently and thinking this somehow is a good excuse to buy a Vespa. However, the standard top-case on the GTS is, of course, pretty and color matched and weirdly shaped and I can't seem to find the interior dimensions anywhere.

The main question I need to answer is: will it carry two pizza boxes from my wife's favorite restaurant? They're 13" square and now I'm thinking I should have measured height. Um, normal pizza box height...

They fit great in my current top case but that's Piaggio's giant one on the BV350 and it's shaped totally differently.

I know I can also get other 3rd party top-cases but I'm in the dreaming, farkle-planning phase of I bike I don't own. I'm assuming all the GTS 300's have the same sized top case since they seem to be the same bike with different trimmings.

Appreciate the advice on this topic of utmost importance!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am quote
I'm assuming my OEM GTV top case is the same. I never have much luck with pizza boxes with it so bring the BMW or Ural when picking up. I believe the dimensions are the same as I found here after using this search query in Google. So "Measures approximately 16" side to side and front to back, and 14" tall." is what I get and sounds about right to me

Another option is to strap them to the pillion pad/area. Pretty easy to use as the J.C. handles can be used as a mounting point. Or if you have a front rack it's easy enough as well.

vespa 300 top case dimensions

https://www.scooterwest.com/original-vespa-super-300-top-case-montebianco-white-gts35super-br.html
BV350
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:31 pm quote
Heck I even checked ScooterWest before but apparently can't read. Looks like the HPE top case (different link) is same size as you suspected. Dealer here didn't have any for me to try and measure. Was also disappointed my pizza box was empty.

Seems like it'll depend on how much the lock column sticks out. Potentially viable, though.
Hooked
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:08 pm quote
Personally I think you will be hard pressed to fit a 12" square flatly into it due to the rounded sides on the case.

I was going to cut down a fake milk case so I could hold things upright better inside the topcase, but it will not fit since the exterior measurements on it are 13" sq. I've been looking for something smaller I can shoe horn into it.
BV350
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:32 pm quote
That is super helpful information, thank you!

Sounds like another case or strapping them right to a seat or rack like Harbinger said.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:43 pm quote
Yeah the rounded edges can be a pain and I have had to prop things up in the past to get them to sit evenly. That said I can easily bring 2 coffees home and breakfast in a tray without spilling a drop, just don't lean too heavily in to corners.

Sometimes I think I bough the Ural just for pizza, you could feed a football team with pizza just using the trunk rack. It's also what I like about the BMW top case, not as tall but much wider and deep.
GTS 300
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:06 pm quote
The topbox wouldn’t take a pizza box, a medium sized laptop bag at best.

The box sits on a rack and has a latch that allows it to be removed, if you want to carry pizza you can put it on the flat rack.

Otherwise there is something like this

[img] http://techdeliverysolutions.com/49cc-scooter/[/img]
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:20 pm quote
I'll take one for the team and order pizza next week.... My neighbourhood has a lot of "fancy" pizza places. Translation... charge a lot for a small pizza box and I think about the same size. I'll pick up on another bike but see how it goes with the Vespa, think the box sizes are about the same but will measure. Might even do it tomorrow but not sure what day we're making Thanksgiving dinner. That's looking like Monday though as tomorrow I have to try put a few hundred clicks on the BMW to get it to first service KM's.

Ardenstone, I'll send you the bill
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:46 am quote
Ok, well here you are. These boxes however are 11 x 11 but I think there is 2 inches of wiggle room for the Vespa top case. You can see why I usually go with the BMM or Ural though. Yes the top case closes even with the added chicken dinner on top.

IMG_2962.jpeg

IMG_2961.jpeg

Hooked
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:33 am quote
OK, I had to double check my idea. I dropped a 12" sq box inside the topbox without issue.

So it seems Harbinger is right, a 13" sq will work as long as it's not as high as I would like it. Which is what I need to work out as I want something a bit more rectangular inside it ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:50 am quote
bosco12 wrote:
So it seems Harbinger is right...
Of course he is. You doubted him?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
bosco12 wrote:
So it seems Harbinger is right...
Of course he is. You doubted him?
Thanks for the vote of confidence

Actually as someone without a car I have a pretty good idea of what I can fit in what bike. The Vespa can manage a surprising amount of stuff especially with the soft sided saddle bags and the top case is pretty roomy. As stated the issue with it can be the curved sides but I get why Piaggio did it aesthetically. The BMW case is much wider but not as tall however I'm sure that is the result of wind tunnel testing. Even at 160 hp and 700 pounds dry weight the top case has a small effect when you get up to about (insert above speed limit here, not that I would do that) or hit high winds.
BV350
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm quote
I am impressed with the quality research! Thanks Harbinger & Bosco12, very much appreciated. I find my battery backup / jump start is the perfect size to prop up pizzas in my current top case; that case is a big oval so much bigger rounded corners.

My wife has a car, so I can claim I don't have one but it truly ain't the same as when I'm on my own with just the bike. Vespa would replace BV350 as my primary.

Test drove a GTS this weekend and had enough fun to put a deposit down. So I guess "would" is likely "will!"
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2845s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1220s) ][ Debug on ]