time for a new printer (completely off topic)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 am quote
Hi!

Yeah, I know this isn't exactly scooter related, and I suppose it makes a change from the usual questions out there, like " what sort of battery should I get for my GTS?" but I need some guidance on a new printer!

I've had, and still got, a printer that in my opinion, is the best printer for my needs. I've had this printer for nearly 7 years now, and it's been absolutely faultless in that time, but now, it's showing it's age, and a few streaky marks have appeared on the prints that i just can't get rid of now despite using the ridiculous "clean print head" (in other words, waste LOADS of ink) feature in most printers..

The Printer is a HP 3520 all in one, and I've kept it in good working order, and kept it away from it's evil nemesis- the radiator! but I think it's now time to think of getting a new printer... however....

I need to find a printer that has these features..... can anyone help me find a suitable printer? I've looked around on the internet for nearly 3 bloody hours now, and I just can't find one with ALL the features, there's always one that's nearly right, but has one feature missing from the list...
The 4 features I need are:
WiFi printing
Full duplex printing
it must have a scanner
it must use INDIVIDUAL inks, not these rip off "all in one" cartridges that printer companies just LOVE to use!

The nearest one I've found is the Epson expression home XP-4100 3 in 1 wireless printer, but I've read that it doesn't like that most hated of objects in the inkjet printing business- the compatible cartridge... so that could be a non starter!

I'd be really grateful and I would be able to keep my sanity if you folks know or indeed have one of these fabled machines that has ALL the qualities I'm looking for!

Once I have a new printer, then I can get back to bugging you lot with insane scooter ECU questions!

Can you help a brother, gov'ner??

Graham

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:44 am quote
If you must have colour go with a laser printer. Actually go laser with whatever choice you make but that's just my opinion.

The Lexmark MC3224adwe Color Multifunction Laser Printer is a good choice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lexmark-MC3224adwe-Color-Multifunction-Printer/dp/B07T4LGDGQ

If you like HP there are still plenty of options, just sort through them.

As someone who has worked professionally in IT for decades I can tell you things have flattened out. It used to be a huge deal when picking out printers especially at places like AD agencies or law firms though both have different needs. As long as you aren't looking at RIPs or large format printing/booklet printing etc you are OK to go with most fo the major brands, just check the reviews first but be aware of the age of the review.

If you have to go with ink sorry can't help you much. When we have put high quality ink printers in they are expensive and will be missing features as they are usually for one-off prints. However the Canon G4210 Wireless Megatank All-in-One Printer looks interesting and reviews well.
Addicted
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:24 am quote
Get an Epson ET2750. It has all the features you want. The cost per page printing is relatively cheaper than comparable models. But most importantly you don't have to buy cartridges. The ink refills come on bottles that are about $11-$13 bucks a piece and you fill up the tank. I have had mine for over 3 years now and so far it has worked fine. There maybe newer models than that but the Eco Tank series from Epson is worthy. Prior to this printer I had a color laser printer from Samsung, that worked fine but once I had to replace the toners it never was the same.
Molto Verboso
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:55 am quote
baba12 wrote:
Get an Epson ET2750. It has all the features you want. The cost per page printing is relatively cheaper than comparable models. But most importantly you don't have to buy cartridges. The ink refills come on bottles that are about $11-$13 bucks a piece and you fill up the tank. I have had mine for over 3 years now and so far it has worked fine. There maybe newer models than that but the Eco Tank series from Epson is worthy. Prior to this printer I had a color laser printer from Samsung, that worked fine but once I had to replace the toners it never was the same.
Yep, I had a Samsung laser printer, but like you, once I replaced the toners the print quality was never the same...

Graham
Molto Verboso
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:57 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
If you must have colour go with a laser printer. Actually go laser with whatever choice you make but that's just my opinion.

The Lexmark MC3224adwe Color Multifunction Laser Printer is a good choice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lexmark-MC3224adwe-Color-Multifunction-Printer/dp/B07T4LGDGQ

If you like HP there are still plenty of options, just sort through them.

As someone who has worked professionally in IT for decades I can tell you things have flattened out. It used to be a huge deal when picking out printers especially at places like AD agencies or law firms though both have different needs. As long as you aren't looking at RIPs or large format printing/booklet printing etc you are OK to go with most fo the major brands, just check the reviews first but be aware of the age of the review.

If you have to go with ink sorry can't help you much. When we have put high quality ink printers in they are expensive and will be missing features as they are usually for one-off prints. However the Canon G4210 Wireless Megatank All-in-One Printer looks interesting and reviews well.
Alas, I don't think this printer does duplex.... close, but no cigar!

Graham
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:21 am quote
nobody regulates the printer industry. they are built to fail early so you have to find a new one. worse most have software that forces you to buy ink when the cartridges are no where near empty. I say good luck getting 7 years from your next choice. that is really good mileage from a printer if you ask me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:35 am quote
jerryd wrote:
nobody regulates the printer industry. they are built to fail early so you have to find a new one. worse most have software that forces you to buy ink when the cartridges are no where near empty. I say good luck getting 7 years from your next choice. that is really good mileage from a printer if you ask me.
For consumer printers I agree. High volume business grade printers though have gotten better and are more reliable. We have clients that bill per page and we haven’t adjusted pricing in ages. Usually 10 cents per BW and 25 per colour.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:40 am quote
We’ve had an Epson ink jet printer for 10 years or so. It’s been a fantastic device. Occasionally we have printing problems like you have describe. When “clean print head“ doesn’t solve the problem, we install fresh ink cartridges. So far, so good.

I think what happens is that the heads dry out so the ink doesn’t flow right. New cartridges solves the problem. We just don’t print much anymore.

BTW, what is full duplex printing?

Miguel
Molto Verboso
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:03 am quote
jerryd wrote:
I just printed off a status report from the printer, and found out, it's printed 12813 pages in it's lifetime so far! I'm impressed that any future printer I buy will last that long!

Graham
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:30 am quote
Miguel wrote:
We’ve had an Epson ink jet printer for 10 years or so. It’s been a fantastic device. Occasionally we have printing problems like you have describe. When “clean print head“ doesn’t solve the problem, we install fresh ink cartridges. So far, so good.

I think what happens is that the heads dry out so the ink doesn’t flow right. New cartridges solves the problem. We just don’t print much anymore.

Miguel
Printing on both sides of the paper. So it prints a page, sucks the paper back in and prints on the other side.
Ossessionato
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:52 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Miguel
Printing on both sides of the paper. So it prints a page, sucks the paper back in and prints on the other side.
Got it. I’ve always heard that referred to as two sided printing
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:50 am quote
Except for the separate ink cartridges I have an HP 5212. It scans and prints on Wi Fi makes copies and it has a fax function and, yes, it prints on both sides. Better than that we picked it up at Walmart for $38.00.
Tattle-tale
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:26 am quote
I was faced with the same problem when my HP Deskjet 2540 finally would only chew up the paper due to a broken gear. It had everything I needed and a scanner.

Unfortunately, it had been obsoleted several years before. I looked at the "replacements" and they were cheaply made, so I wasn't interested.

Another factor was I had a substantial supply of re-manufactured 61 XL ink cartridges and the new printer had to accept them. Couldn't find any.

I went on to eBay and found many used ones, most were listed for parts. However, I was able to find a BRAND NEW one still in the sealed box. The price was more than 3 times what I paid for mine when it was new. Screw it! I clicked on buy now and had it within a few days. It is a great printer and started up and ran perfectly. I use it every day and expect many more years out of it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:33 am quote
I have an Epson WF-3620. It has worked reliably for several years and it has all the features you mentioned.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:50 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
I have an Epson WF-3620. It has worked reliably for several years and it has all the features you mentioned.
Yeah Epson makes good stuff and has some of the best quality colour printing out there.
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:55 pm quote
Color multifunction printers are a bad idea - there’s simply too much to lose if one component fails. Get a multifunction B&W laser printer for which you can use generic toner (I like Brothers for this), a standalone color printer (mine is also a Brother laser; I will never own another inkjet printer), and for those relatively rare occasions when you need really high quality photos or prints, send those out to your local drugstore or FedEx store.

12,000 pages is not very much, even for a consumer printer.
Ossessionato
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:17 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
This is what I have. We don’t use it much but Epson has been reliable for years and inks are readily available.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:45 pm quote
So I am not an IT person but I have had computers since 1984, so a good long time and over the years I have had many printers. The bottom line is they only last a few years and then need to be replaced. As I have tried many printers I always go back to HP and get the printer/scanner /faxer that serves my needs. I accept that after about 5 years it will need to be replaced. And yes the ink is expensive, but generally the printers are not that expensive.

Hope this helps if you come up with something amazing let me know as I will soon need a new printer

larry
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:07 pm quote
LarryMK wrote:
So I am not an IT person but I have had computers since 1984, so a good long time and over the years I have had many printers. The bottom line is they only last a few years and then need to be replaced. As I have tried many printers I always go back to HP and get the printer/scanner /faxer that serves my needs. I accept that after about 5 years it will need to be replaced. And yes the ink is expensive, but generally the printers are not that expensive.

Hope this helps if you come up with something amazing let me know as I will soon need a new printer

larry
It's what we call razor blade economics . ( https://www.bbc.com/news/business-39132802 ) . So lots of printers are sold at what is basically a loss or a wash and they make it up on consumables. Game consoles have also used this tactic for years as the console makers make the money back in licensing fees. The thing is if the OP wants to step in to prosumer or professional grade printing there are far more options BUT the up front cost is much higher. Actually it isn't bad on a cost per print scenario but you need to sign in to a leasing agreement and for a home user yeah it's too much unless you print thousands of copies a month.

For a home user honestly the bottom line is get a good laser BW printer for day to day and a colour printer for those special moments. Most things do not need to be colour and a BW laser printer works best. For those colour prints get something really nice and frame the buggers. What always kills me at clients is finding those long emails printed out and ONE line is the "reply to" which is of course blue meaning the entire job is considered colour. In a lease arrangement you pay per job and you rarely bill back printed email correspondence without a good reason so usually they are labeled internal and absorbed.
ET4-150 ( Called ET8 here )
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:49 pm quote
Just bought a new printer yesterday.
Totally agree with previous comments about “ razor “ economics
Printers can be quite cheap, but boy do they sting you for replacement ink!
Anyway, ended up with a
Canon Pixma ink efficient G6070.
Main difference is that the ink is contained in 4 large reservoirs that you can visually see and you refill with bottles of ink. 7700/ 6000 pages color/black-white.
We will see but it ticked all the boxes we needed.
HTH

CC0E4C5E-7C25-435F-818C-DFB2D170D294.jpeg

Last edited by Hilton on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:52 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
LarryMK wrote:

larry
It's what we call razor blade economics . ( https://www.bbc.com/news/business-39132802 ) . So lots of printers are sold at what is basically a loss or a wash and they make it up on consumables. Game consoles have also used this tactic for years as the console makers make the money back in licensing fees. The thing is if the OP wants to step in to prosumer or professional grade printing there are far more options BUT the up front cost is much higher. Actually it isn't bad on a cost per print scenario but you need to sign in to a leasing agreement and for a home user yeah it's too much unless you print thousands of copies a month.

For a home user honestly the bottom line is get a good laser BW printer for day to day and a colour printer for those special moments. Most things do not need to be colour and a BW laser printer works best. For those colour prints get something really nice and frame the buggers. What always kills me at clients is finding those long emails printed out and ONE line is the "reply to" which is of course blue meaning the entire job is considered colour. In a lease arrangement you pay per job and you rarely bill back printed email correspondence without a good reason so usually they are labeled internal and absorbed.
I was just commenting did not quite need your diatribe. But that does seem to be the way in our current world, too much anger did not used to be the way on this blog. Very sad.

larry
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:05 pm quote
baba12 wrote:
I'll second the newer Epson printers with their InkTank system: all the good stuff that all-in-one printers offer, minus the tiny, frequently-replaced cartridges that annoy all of us. I keep looking over these new printers to find that "gotcha", but so far, they look good. One of the printers in this series will replace our somehow-still-breathing HP OfficeJet Pro 6700 (which, ironically, was given to me by a client I recommended it to, after they decided they wanted a multifunction laser printer instead). For the record, since there are two photographers here, we also have a pair of bigger Epson photo printers in the house (mine is a Stylus Pro R3000, Le Wife's is a monster Stylus Pro 4800).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:14 pm quote
LarryMK wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
LarryMK wrote:

larry

I was just commenting did not quite need your diatribe. But that does seem to be the way in our current world, too much anger did not used to be the way on this blog. Very sad.

larry
Huh...Who's angry? I'm not in the least. Sorry you took it that way though TBH a little surprised you would. Where exactly is the anger? It's just an opinion, take it or leave it or don't read it at all. Basically all I did was explain in yeah a long winded fashion why printers are cheap, they make the money on the consumables. I see no anger or anything rude in that..
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:10 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
LarryMK wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
LarryMK wrote:

larry

larry
Huh...Who's angry? I'm not in the least. Sorry you took it that way though TBH a little surprised you would. Where exactly is the anger? It's just an opinion, take it or leave it or don't read it at all. Basically all I did was explain in yeah a long winded fashion why printers are cheap, they make the money on the consumables. I see no anger or anything rude in that..
ok just sounded angry to me glad it was not
Ossessionato
GTS250
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:35 pm quote
Get a black & white Laser printer with network attachment and duplex printing. Then get a small, feed-thru scanner. If you print photos, send them to Walgreens.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:45 pm quote
After going through many multi function colour inkjet printers I gave up and got a B&W Brother laser. It pissed me off that it came with a special small toner but after that early reinvestment it should last another 10 years.

Kept the multi function to use as a scanner when needed once a year. The kids can print as much as they like for little cost (they do almost none for school now as they live on their devices). Mrs Z prints photos online(probably cheaper better and longer lasting than at home anyway).

No regrets.
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. Tethys - 300 GTS Titanium
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 am quote
if inordinately attached...
There may be some things to do to keep it running. I've worked in libraries for years and folks do get awfully attached to a specific printer. Sometimes a tweak can extend life for a bit.

If you're interested I can walk you through some of them to see if any of them work for you. I'm guessing in addition to running the clean printhead thing, you also did the things like check the cartridge vents they mention at https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-3520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5162504/model/5162505/troubleshooting

Another thing, has it been really humid? Humidity causes so many 'mysterious' problems with printers.

In case you do want to put more time into investigating, here are the initial questions:
1. are the streaks vertical or horizontal?
2. what operating system are you running?
3. do you know what the firmware version is in the printer? (There was an update in July 2020)

pm me with your answers and we'll see what to try next.
No guarantees, but if you've got the time ...
Best,
Kim
Molto Verboso
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:50 pm quote
Re: if inordinately attached...
KimPossible wrote:
There may be some things to do to keep it running. I've worked in libraries for years and folks do get awfully attached to a specific printer. Sometimes a tweak can extend life for a bit.

If you're interested I can walk you through some of them to see if any of them work for you. I'm guessing in addition to running the clean printhead thing, you also did the things like check the cartridge vents they mention at https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-3520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5162504/model/5162505/troubleshooting

Another thing, has it been really humid? Humidity causes so many 'mysterious' problems with printers.

In case you do want to put more time into investigating, here are the initial questions:
1. are the streaks vertical or horizontal?
2. what operating system are you running?
3. do you know what the firmware version is in the printer? (There was an update in July 2020)

pm me with your answers and we'll see what to try next.
No guarantees, but if you've got the time ...
Best,
Kim
Thanks for those idea's Kim- and thanks to all that have answered my question! I'm going to have a look at any firmware updates for my printer- I've used the "clean printhead" tool, and it's managed to get rid of a few streaks! What are your thoughts on printer head cleaning solutions? do they work, or is it just snake oil??

I'm kinda reluctant to get rid of the printer, as it's been a good workhorse in the past, and to be honest, I've yet to find a printer that has ALL the features I need - auto duplex printing, individual inks, WIfi connectivity, and built in scanner, and cheap to run. Quite a few out there do SOME of the features, but not all!!

Graham
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:42 am quote
If you don't need a color print, you can buy the Epson LQ 590 II
Print Head Life 400 million scripts!
Primitive, without wifi but eternal.
With this you do commercial and common prints, with the other you do the rest, it will last longer.
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:31 pm quote
Printer
Oh my gosh. I almost took a baseball bat to my lovely 6 year old Epson -- but luckily Epson stopped carrying ink (or it is now hard to find) so I "had" to buy a new printer!

So, with a little research I bought the 199.00 printer with 8-13 months of instant ink from HP -- It's an HP 9010 series and I love it (so far) -- from COSTCO. I don't mind subscribing 2.99 a month for ink with a 40.00 credit. I am loving it so far!

So, I've been down the rabbit hole with printers -- as a former private practice attorney I bought a high speed black and white for my house -- and the ink cartridges were cost prohibitive over time (that may not be true now).

I don't print cases, mostly recipes, knitting patterns, etc. If I have a big work print job -- now I handle that at work

Last edited by pammieellen on Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1765s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0398s) ][ Debug on ]