Windshield
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Honda Aero 1100
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:48 am quote
Background: Toyota took out my GTS300 2 years ago. Insurance is about to pay off so I will be getting a replacement. I never figured out a real solution to the right windshield. The FACO adjustable was less than perfect and the tall Vespa one was just too tall. I am 5 foot 9, and need something than I look over without looking through, but which will not five me helmet buffering. I am convinced someone in this outstanding group has the right answer - please share...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:58 am quote
cballweg wrote:
Background: Toyota took out my GTS300 2 years ago. Insurance is about to pay off so I will be getting a replacement. I never figured out a real solution to the right windshield. The FACO adjustable was less than perfect and the tall Vespa one was just too tall. I am 5 foot 9, and need something than I look over without looking through, but which will not five me helmet buffering. I am convinced someone in this outstanding group has the right answer - please share...
I am also 5'9". I find that the OEM Vespa mid-height screen works out right for me. I can look just over the top of the screen at the road in front of me, and the airstream coming over the screen flows just over my helmet. That mid-height screen also is wide enough to deflect most air flow around me and provides some hand protection.
Addicted
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 pm quote
OEM Vespa screen is perfectly fine, I am the same height I think and if you dont wish to see through it and you are unable to do so, I suggest sitting further back the seat is a bit higher for the passenger, I would say put the foot pegs out sit a inch or two back you will be just on the sweat hump.
It works fine to keep head out of the screen and if ya need to tuck in you can do that as well.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:21 pm quote
Firstly: Congrats on the settlement finally coming through!

Next: This really depends. Given your description here, I'm inclined to agree with folks here recommending Vespa's mid-height screen, but I have to ask one pointed question: what kind of helmet do you wear? This is a rather big deal: I put a "Euro-spec" Vespa Flyscreen (absolute-smallest screen Vespa offers anywhere) on my GTS300, and it works fine for me, year-round, but I also wear a full-face helmet (for the record, HJC RPHA 70ST), and this combo works just fine. I would not recommend the Flyscreen to anyone who prefers an open-face (half or 3/4) helmet, since you'll end up with the better part of a faceful of wind blast, since the Flyscreen's main job is to relieve pressure on your upper body.

melodyflyscreen.jpg
The answer to "how low can you go?" (Okay, there IS lower, but you don't want that, period.)

Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 pm quote
I have a flyscreen and a mid-size one.

I found the mid-size caused turbulence and wind noise.
Then I looked at the junction between the headlamp and the screen.
There is very little space between them to relieve air pressure, creating a negative pressure zone behind the screen. I tried mounting the screen at the upper limit of the brackets and it improved, but it was still there. I borrowed a set of full screen brackets from my Vespa Guru and mounted it with a gap that my flat hand could fit through between headlamp and screen.
The turbulence almost disappeared and the wind noise is greatly reduced.

I would try doing this with the flyscreen, but the lower edge curves back to meet the headlamp, so I can't test the effect of an air gap using the mid-size mounting brackets. There is very little clearance there, so be sure to mount the fly screen so that the screen doesn't vibrate and touch the paintwork.
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:07 am quote
amateriat wrote:
Firstly: Congrats on the settlement finally coming through!

Next: This really depends. Given your description here, I'm inclined to agree with folks here recommending Vespa's mid-height screen, but I have to ask one pointed question: what kind of helmet do you wear? This is a rather big deal: I put a "Euro-spec" Vespa Flyscreen (absolute-smallest screen Vespa offers anywhere) on my GTS300, and it works fine for me, year-round, but I also wear a full-face helmet (for the record, HJC RPHA 70ST), and this combo works just fine. I would not recommend the Flyscreen to anyone who prefers an open-face (half or 3/4) helmet, since you'll end up with the better part of a faceful of wind blast, since the Flyscreen's main job is to relieve pressure on your upper body.
The solution is this, a slightly sloping medium windshield. Using a good full-face (or modular) helmet and a technical jacket, the question is definitively resolved.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:16 am quote
Here’s my post from 11 years ago about cutting down a Vespa tall windscreen to the perfect height. It is the perfect solution customized for you and your bike.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:27 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Here’s my post from 11 years ago about cutting down a Vespa tall windscreen to the perfect height. It is the perfect solution customized for you and your bike.

Best
Miguel
Yes, even the do-it-yourself for a custom-made windshield is a good solution but you need to have the right manual skills and tools; if you cut lexan put on protective goggles or full face shield and draw the profile before starting work.
PS: Miguel ... are you the one behind the windshield?
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:05 am quote
Attila wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Best
Miguel
Yes, even the do-it-yourself for a custom-made windshield is a good solution but you need to have the right manual skills and tools; if you cut lexan put on protective goggles or full face shield and draw the profile before starting work.
Indeed, it is, or was, me 11 years ago, just a couple months after getting my 2009 Vespa GTV250 and joining MV. I have always regretted not smiling for that photo.😎

Miguel
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:23 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Attila wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Best
Miguel
Indeed, it is, or was, me 11 years ago, just a couple months after getting my 2009 Vespa GTV250 and joining MV. I have always regretted not smiling for that photo.😎

Miguel
In fact ... you look like Indiana Jones.

I wanted to add that if the windshield is not too wide you can install handguards, as i did.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 am quote
I agree the mid size OEM screen is probably best. As a GTV owner I have limited options and went with the Mod Style Flyscreen made by Cuppini which is about the same height. The full screen to me is too large and generally I prefer to not look through a screen. What you want is the wind off your chest as that is a fatigue factor. On my Ural I also have a mid size screen though man I wish everyone could have the BMW electric screen...that is pure luxury.
Liberty 150
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:56 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
I have a flyscreen and a mid-size one.

I found the mid-size caused turbulence and wind noise.
Then I looked at the junction between the headlamp and the screen.
There is very little space between them to relieve air pressure, creating a negative pressure zone behind the screen. I tried mounting the screen at the upper limit of the brackets and it improved, but it was still there. I borrowed a set of full screen brackets from my Vespa Guru and mounted it with a gap that my flat hand could fit through between headlamp and screen.
The turbulence almost disappeared and the wind noise is greatly reduced.

I would try doing this with the flyscreen, but the lower edge curves back to meet the headlamp, so I can't test the effect of an air gap using the mid-size mounting brackets. There is very little clearance there, so be sure to mount the fly screen so that the screen doesn't vibrate and touch the paintwork.
Continuing along that same line of thought
Don't be afraid to use longer mounting bolts & use fender washers to shim where the windshield to the uprights
You can change the angle slightly & move the turbulence
As Fudmucker points out increasing the gap changes the turbulence & can smooth out the air coming off the top edge

I have a long torso, I'm 6foot w/a 32inch inseam, my wife 5foot, 3inch & the same inseam
I have a couple of givi windshields coming to mount on Piaggio Liberty
The the mounting is similar
I like to be able to sit bolt upright & see over the top
I'll post a thread
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:53 am quote
If you have the skills you can always cut to size and polish the edge to finish it off.

The best windshields I have used for motorcycles are recurved. I don't know if this option is available for your scooter, maybe some one can chime in if there is such a product. The recurve places the turbulence behind you when fitted properly vs just a plain wind screen of the same height.
Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:22 pm quote
I have the Faco mid-height on my GTS. I wear a full-face Nolan N70-2 gt, and the wind blast was right at chin height, making for a real roar. I added a Laminar Lip - what a difference! No buffeting and much quieter.

It adds about 3 inches at the top of the windshield and gives some space for wind to flow under it, which seems to direct the air higher. At 5'9", I can still comfortably see over it.

Here's a blog post from a couple years ago, when I added it...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/06/gimme-some-lip.html
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:32 pm quote
Here's the key reasons that cutting down a Vespa tall windscreen is better than virtually all other solutions IMO:
o You can cut the windscreen height so the top of the screen is just below your eyes so you can see even if the screen is wet
o It pushes the weather up over your helmet so your face rarely gets wet.
o It blows the wind up over your helmet so the cockpit is acoustically quiet. I could ride at 50 mph and clearly hear the engine humming along. This clearly and importantly protects your hearing. Loud wind noise in motorcycle helmets can and will cause permanent hearing loss over time as well as other hearing ailments such as tinnitus (ringing in the ears - trust me you don't want this. There is no cure and most people have it for life and 24 x 7). Above 50 mph you get some wind noise
o It blows the dust and road debris over your helmet so you are less likely to get struck in the face or eyes with dust and dirt
o It provides a large dead zone in the cockpit area so you are generally out of the wind. Tho you get some wind on your back
o There's almost now wind pressure on your chest trying to push you off the back of the seat, regardless of how fast you are going.

All this takes quite a bit of work and stress out of the ride.

The disadvantages:
o Some people don't-like/hate the look
o It can get warm behind the screen in hot weather if you are moving slow

I've never had a mid-height windscreen but most of the comments I've read about them over the years say they keep the wind off your chest but push it into your helmet which greatly increases the wind noise.

Best
Miguel
No Excuses: Wash your hands, wear a mask and physically distance
Enthusiast
GTS250
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:40 pm quote
The tall windscreen that came with my GTS was far too tall for me so I put a line of tape on the screen with inches from the top penciled onto it. After riding it for a while I choose the number where I can just see over it. Fortunately I have a band saw and after covering both sides with tape I drew out the shape I then cut it on the line and used a sanding block to make the edge look like the factory edge. I only use it on the coldest of days because I just don’t like a windscreen.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Here's the key reasons that cutting down a Vespa tall windscreen is better than virtually all other solutions IMO:
o You can cut the windscreen height so the top of the screen is just below your eyes so you can see even if the screen is wet
o It pushes the weather up over your helmet so your face rarely gets wet.
o It blows the wind up over your helmet so the cockpit is acoustically quiet. I could ride at 50 mph and clearly hear the engine humming along. This clearly and importantly protects your hearing. Loud wind noise in motorcycle helmets can and will cause permanent hearing loss over time as well as other hearing ailments such as tinnitus (ringing in the ears - trust me you don't want this. There is no cure and most people have it for life and 24 x 7). Above 50 mph you get some wind noise
o It blows the dust and road debris over your helmet so you are less likely to get struck in the face or eyes with dust and dirt
o It provides a large dead zone in the cockpit area so you are generally out of the wind. Tho you get some wind on your back
o There's almost now wind pressure on your chest trying to push you off the back of the seat, regardless of how fast you are going.

All this takes quite a bit of work and stress out of the ride.

The disadvantages:
o Some people don't-like/hate the look
o It can get warm behind the screen in hot weather if you are moving slow

I've never had a mid-height windscreen but most of the comments I've read about them over the years say they keep the wind off your chest but push it into your helmet which greatly increases the wind noise.

Best
Miguel
No Excuses: Wash your hands, wear a mask and physically distance
I agree on your points. The dealer asked if I wanted the full cut down or the Cupini and I went with the later 100% for aesthetic reasons. I have another bike for long touring though even the mid size on the Vespa does the job well enough. Yes noise is a bit of an issue and I can't listen to podcasts on the highway and have to play music of I want to listen to something.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:03 am quote
Fudmucker, something like this?

20201013_100018.jpg

Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:18 am quote
Vespa Medium Windshield
I also am 5'9" (although shrinking with age). The Mid sized Vespa was
perfect for me.

Bullwinkle J Moose
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota

dsc06125_34513294985_o.jpg
The 300 can get up and go. Before the windshield, my body acted like a sail with the upright seating position on the Vespa.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:15 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Here's the key reasons that cutting down a Vespa tall windscreen is better than virtually all other solutions IMO.......
I completely agree with the reasons you identify for a cut down screen. I have cut down two myself, but have also used mid-height screens on some of my Vespas. Whether a mid-height works as well as a cut down entirely depends on the height and positioning of the rider. Ideally you want a mid-height screen which will have the attributes you describe. Otherwise a cut down is the better answer because you fit it to your riding position. As I commented earlier, for me the Vespa OEM mid-height on my '15 GTS results in the right positioning. A Faco mid-height does not.
Ossessionato
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:47 am quote
In my case the standard windshield is slightly low (I am 6 feet and 3 inches, i hope you appreciate that i also use your measurement system thanks) and therefore i will buy a small windshield
(Fabbri another good Italian brand) higher than 6 inches.
Ossessionato
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:56 pm quote
Attila wrote:
In my case the standard windshield is slightly low (I am 6 feet and 3 inches, i hope you appreciate that i also use your measurement system thanks) and therefore i will buy a small windshield
Attila, I'm just acknowledging you use of feet & inches units. You're pretty tall!

Miguel
Ossessionato
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:28 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Attila wrote:
Attila, I'm just acknowledging you use of feet & inches units. You're pretty tall!

Miguel
Miguel ... I am 1 meter and 88 centimeters for 130 kg of weight, I am heavier than tall. My problem is not the windshield but the low engine power, I feel like with a racing speedboat and a Johnson 4 hp engine.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:37 am quote
Attila Size to Scooter
Attila,

You are too hard on yourself. At 6 foot three inches you can easily carry
your weight. I am 5 inches shorter than you at 210 pounds.

Yes Amigo, we both need larger engines in our scooters.

My official height when I served in the US Navy in Italy 50 years ago was
5 foot 10 inches. I have shrunk 2 full inches in my old age. I bring
this up because I was tall compared to other Italian males in Naples.

You, at 6 foot 3 inches, are a mountain among your fellow countrymen.
Further, all those years of unbelievably good Italian food and vino can
put some weight on.

Sei bello e guisto un mio amico.

Roberto De Minnesota

IMG_8686.jpg
Sei bello e guisto

Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:11 am quote
I am not overweight... I am under-tall.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:21 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
What does that mean exactly?
Ossessionato
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:47 am quote
Re: Attila Size to Scooter
Bob Copeland wrote:
Attila,

You are too hard on yourself. At 6 foot three inches you can easily carry
your weight. I am 5 inches shorter than you at 210 pounds.

Yes Amigo, we both need larger engines in our scooters.

My official height when I served in the US Navy in Italy 50 years ago was
5 foot 10 inches. I have shrunk 2 full inches in my old age. I bring
this up because I was tall compared to other Italian males in Naples.

You, at 6 foot 3 inches, are a mountain among your fellow countrymen.
Further, all those years of unbelievably good Italian food and vino can
put some weight on.

Sei bello e guisto un mio amico.

Roberto De Minnesota
Today it's raining and cold here my friend ...
As I write this I watch Discovery TV and there is Phantom Works restoring a Mustang Shelby GT 500, beautiful beast!
Covid stopped my search for a 1970s Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 for a friend.
Apart from that, I protect myself, do medical checkups (so far all right) and I put the scooter under the blanket; the 2020 season has ended. More winter jobs coming and I did all the servicing, scooter € 95 and car € 310.
Ciao
Attilio (Attila) Ferrari
Borgo Carso Gionco area , Latina (Italy).

Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:43 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
Look at a height/weight chart. My weight is perfect... if I was 4 inches taller. In the words of the philosopher Mork from Ork: "Humor - ar ar!"

(rimshot)
Ossessionato
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:49 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
Look at a height/weight chart. My weight is perfect... if I was 4 inches taller. In the words of the philosopher Mork from Ork: "Humor - ar ar!"

(rimshot)
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:19 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
Fudmucker, something like this?
That is much more than I could manage on my mid-sized screen,
due to the curve on the lower edge of the Vespa OEM one.
I could just get my flat hand between the headlight and the screen.

(Similar to Bob Copelands screen here)

FullScreen.jpg

Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
I am similarly vertically challenged.
Ossessionato
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:07 am quote
Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:55 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
I am similarly vertically challenged.
Well, according to statistics, I am of the average height of an adult male in the US. Must be a bunch of those skinny basta... um, fine fellows, throwing off the averages. When I look in the mirror, I think I am about one push-up or sit-up from being buff.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:17 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

(rimshot)
Those charts are flawed because they don't take body surfice into account.

I like your way of putting it though. In this case I would be over short.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1797s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0424s) ][ Debug on ]