New clutch cable a bit short - does it matter?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
'58 Douglas Vespa 92L2 with '81 P125X engine
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:52 am quote
I did the fun job of feeding through a new cable outer but Iíve noticed itís probably 2/3 inches short of reaching the adjustment nipple at the clutch side. The inner cable is long enough and reaches comfortably from the handlebar lever to the clutch arm.
Does it matter that the outer doesnít reach the adjustment nipple? Or should I just get one of those rubber gatored type covers to go over the 2/3 inches of inner that is exposed to prevent road muck getting on it?
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:39 pm quote
Re: New clutch cable a bit short - does it matter?
gregpank wrote:
I did the fun job of feeding through a new cable outer but Iíve noticed itís probably 2/3 inches short of reaching the adjustment nipple at the clutch side. The inner cable is long enough and reaches comfortably from the handlebar lever to the clutch arm.
Does it matter that the outer doesnít reach the adjustment nipple? Or should I just get one of those rubber gatored type covers to go over the 2/3 inches of inner that is exposed to prevent road muck getting on it?
The outer sleeve or sheathing needs to reach the adjusting nipple, to adjust the inner cable properly. When adjusting the nipple you are actually adjusting the length of the outer cable. When you make the outer longer without moving the inner you are pulling the inner clutch arm closer to the pressure plate. If it doesn't reach at all I would be surprised if the clutch actually works. Guessing with the scooter off and in 1st gear you can't disengage the clutch and push it. If it does work now, the outer will start moving and when day when you try to stop the clutch wont work and you will just keep going.

You might be able to try something like this, it has and adjustment on the handle end also it might help take up some of the slack.
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/sport+lever+sip+clutchbrake+_j63970000

Last edited by Christopher_55934 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
PX150E
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:45 pm quote
Are you sure the outer sheath is not caught somewhere in its path, under the center tunnel?
The outer has to reach the adjustment threaded barrel to make the inner cable do its job. The rubber cover would go over the exposed portion of the inner, between the clutch arm and the adjuster barrel.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1402s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0348s) ][ Debug on ]