H4 35/35W bulb in PX headlight
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
PX150E
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:21 pm quote
The regular B20/D type 35/35W headlight bulb has always been satisfactory to me, both in lighting performance and durability.

However, its socket seems to be weak in solidly making contact with the bulb terminals. The 2 finger-style contacts at the base of the bulb just do not apply enough force for a good or even contact.
I am thinking of replacing the bulb and socket with one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-PAIR-FSL-OEM-H4-9003-12V-35-35W-HALOGEN-CLEAR-BULB-ON-ATV-CAR-GO-KART-SCOOTER/142096638563?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It has the same wattage, and I have had it in other motorcycles with good results.
The original socket, of course, would not be needed, and a regular H4 bulb socket would be spliced onto the original wires.
Has anyone had any issue doing this? Any interference issues under the headset, and is any mod required to the headlight hole for proper insertion?
Ossessionato

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:33 pm quote
The newer 2005 PX150's headlight uses a H4 bulb. If it can fit in an old P200, i don't see why it wouldn't fit in a PX150E.

https://www.scooterworks.com/Headlamp-2001-PX-Halogen-Piaggio-P3892.aspx
Enthusiast
PX150E
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:31 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
The newer 2005 PX150's headlight uses a H4 bulb. If it can fit in an old P200, i don't see why it wouldn't fit in a PX150E.

Yes, I was aware of the new PX with front discs having the H4, but those clear plastic headlights were specifically designed for that bulb.
My 150E is US specs and had the original sealed beam headlight; the light pattern was so poor that I changed it to the Euro headlight (by SIEM). This type is set up with the plastic socket and the BA20D bulb:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-BA20D-12V-35-35W-Motorcycle-Halogen-Headlight-Lamp-Bulb-Amber-A/363081092509?hash=item548951cd9d:g:AyEAAOSwEFhfPepg

Nothing wrong with the bulb itself; it's the socket that is weak:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vespa-Socket-Headlight-Px-Old-Ba20d-Ba15s-Plug-Socket-Lamp/321698252485?hash=item4ae6b5c6c5:g:4ysAAMXQgoBRgIWX
Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:30 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:

The reflector in my 2005 has gotten real dull looking and has some black spots on it.
So I've been looking around to see what it would take to replace it.
ScooterWest has that same (maybe) part for $4.00 cheaper.
(Shipping may make a difference, though.)
The description at ScooterWorks says it has the hole for the pilot light.
ScooterWest told me theirs has the pilot light fixture in it.
And they said they couldn't even order my type from Piaggio.
But I want one without the fixture or the hole.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:54 pm quote
In the last year I bought a new headlight with a nice reflector and H4 socket. Using a H4 35/35 bulb. While I found it was much better on high beam, on low beam the light seems very dull. Bought another different brand bulb, same thing. Not sure why that is.

Upside is it's easy to fit, unlike the BA20D... yes they are a pretty crappy fit.
Ossessionato

Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm quote
Aiosi wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

The reflector in my 2005 has gotten real dull looking and has some black spots on it.
Since they’re both genuine Piaggio parts, I bet that the headlight that doesn’t have a hole for the pilot light is specifically for the US market. Therefore it might only be available directly from Piaggio...and that’s if it still even available. Whereas the pilot light version headlight probably comes on all the rest of the world’s PX’s.

And I don’t know if the US market PX headlight is made with the exact same plastic parts (I would think so though)? The US market PX uses a 55w/60w bulb, and the headlight will get a lot hotter than the Euro’s 35w/35w headlight. I remember years ago that the aftermarket LML plastic headlight (that Scooterworks was selling) would tend to melt. I don’t know if the Euro PX headlight is prone to melting with a 60 watt H4 bulb in it.

I figured I’d bring it up to further the discussion.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 am quote
Aiosi wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

FWIW, all of the modern plastic headlights with a clear reflector are cheaply made, and will not withstand the heat a 55/60W bulb.
If you want a glass light with a metal reflector and without the parking light hole, this one may be for you:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Lamp-Unit-Assembly-Vespa-PX-PE-T5-Classic-Scooter-CA/283936759209?hash=item421bf31da9:g:5zEAAOSw1HpfABwf

Now, you can bet that none of these are actually DOT approved, however.
The Euro headlight I have has been on the scooter for 35 years, and still does its job. I prefer to have the parking light, which in mine is wired to stay on with either HI or LOW beam. If either of these goes out while you ride, you would not end up suddenly in the dark, but will have at least 5 watt of illumination until you change over to the remaining working beam.
However, no one here has been able to answer my original question:
Does the EURO headlight that I have accept without mod the H4 bulb, (either in regular or halogen version) versus the BA20D bulb?
Again, I have no complaints with either of these 35W bulbs; my beef is with the BA20D socket, at least the orange/pink ones with copper contacts, which are too loose. The original sockets were better made with much stiffer contacts, but they are now either not available or are dear as poison.
Ossessionato

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:51 am quote
sp949 wrote:
Aiosi wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:

FWIW, all of the modern plastic headlights with a clear reflector are cheaply made, and will not withstand the heat a 55/60W bulb.
If you want a glass light with a metal reflector and without the parking light hole, this one may be for you:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Lamp-Unit-Assembly-Vespa-PX-PE-T5-Classic-Scooter-CA/283936759209?hash=item421bf31da9:g:5zEAAOSw1HpfABwf

Now, you can bet that none of these are actually DOT approved, however.
The Euro headlight I have has been on the scooter for 35 years, and still does its job. I prefer to have the parking light, which in mine is wired to stay on with either HI or LOW beam. If either of these goes out while you ride, you would not end up suddenly in the dark, but will have at least 5 watt of illumination until you change over to the remaining working beam.
However, no one here has been able to answer my original question:
Does the EURO headlight that I have accept without mod the H4 bulb, (either in regular or halogen version) versus the BA20D bulb?
Again, I have no complaints with either of these 35W bulbs; my beef is with the BA20D socket, at least the orange/pink ones with copper contacts, which are too loose. The original sockets were better made with much stiffer contacts, but they are now either not available or are dear as poison.
If you're asking if a H4 base will fit in place of a BA20D, no way will it fit without any sort of modification. If that were the case, Lammy owners would have done that mod years ago. You're pretty much stuck with using the BA20D...unless you switch out the whole headlight assembly.

And FYI, all my 2005 PX150 stock headlights haven't had any melting issues. I did buy an aftermarket TRIOM headlight years ago that got a little soggy with a 45 watt light though. That was the one that Scooterworks was selling as an upgrade for the stock P200.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:59 pm quote
sp949 wrote:
Some of the LED headlight bulbs have interchangeable bases which might give you an option. Otherwise (as WDC says), no.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1769s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0680s) ][ Debug on ]