CDI I stall/Spark Plug Boot look OK?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2004 GT now a 2002 ET2
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:35 pm quote
Novice here. I have this new to me 2002 Vespa ET with a no spark issue. I just ordered a CDI which I installed today, can't say that looking up the wires to the new CDI was the easiest think I've done. I tried to pull back the rubber sleeve to the wires so I could see they were going in. I took a pic of the CDI where the wires go in and the connection to the spark plug wire. I pulled the wire off the old CDI and it looks like it barely has any wire showing that is supposed to connect to the CDI box. The small rubber boot will hold it on but is this enough to make the electrical connection or am I missing something? I saw a pic online of another spark plug boot that looks like it plugs into the CDI. Is this small wire exposed sufficient to do the trick? Thanks for any advice.

IMG_9941.JPG

IMG_9940.JPG

Lurker
Vespa ET4 124cc
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:59 pm quote
Screw the HT lead in
New to the forum and my first reply. Have seen similar on classic cars. The HT lead screws into the little pin you can see which in fact is a screw. The rubber boot then pushes on. A tiny bit of silicon grease or WD40 helps. Hope I have understood the question.
2004 GT now a 2002 ET2
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:12 pm quote
HT lead
Thanks for the reply. I guess I can screw the HT wire in. It seems to bit a bit. I had to yank the wire out of the old CDI and just surprised that I look at the spark plug wire and see only a little exposed wire. I'll screw it on as tight as possible and put the rubber plug over it and hope it connects. I hope I go the other plugs to the CDI in sufficiently. It was very tight quarters to try to pull the boot back and line up the 3 wires while they were kind of flimsy. Thanks for the tip! Trying to clean the carb at the same time, all kinds of fun.
Ossessionato
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 86 & 96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:39 pm quote
If there enough length on the HT coil wire, trim off a little bit where it used to screw into the CDI. You yanking it out certainly doesnt help. With the new rubber and hopefully the copper core, screw that into the new CDI.

If you still dont get a spark after the CDI swap, disconnect the white plastic harness/stator plug under the floorboards. Kickstart the scooter and see if you get spark. If you do, you have a short somewhere in the green wire. If you dont, gotta check your stator/ pickup.

Use the search bar to look up ET2 ignition threads and you’ll see a few.
2004 GT now a 2002 ET2
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:04 pm quote
Plug/CDI issue
MJ- Thanks, appreciate the advice. I didn't really yank too hard but didn't know if it was supposed to screw off. I more pried the cap off and pulled. I think I'll expose a bit more wire and screw the HT wire in. I just spend a day or two reading all the ET2 posts and searching u-tube for fixes and saw the stator replacement as a possibility. Hope I don't have to search for the stator plug to go that route but I'm prepared for a long project and will be thrilled if I get spark. Under the floorboards, haven't looked under there yet. I looked over the workshop manual so that was great to find here. Thanks
Ossessionato
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 86 & 96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:22 pm quote
Usually stators and CDI’s are pretty robust and the little stuff (spark plug, boot, wire, short) are the culprits. I unfortunately didnt have the correct wiring diagram for my ET2 so I went the long route replacing parts, since tracing down wires would be a pain. Long story short, all my parts tested fine and I bought the correct wiring diagram and solved the problem.

Anyway, take a look at the photo below. This is the electrical connector you want to focus on. It was lights, ignition kill, ground and electric start. It will be under the plastic floor board. You may be able to pull it towards the motor without removing the floor board but if not, its only a dozen screws to remove the glovebox and floor board.

Once you have access to this connector, disconnect it and then check for spark using the kickstart lever. All handlebar functions will be disconnected. If you have spark, then you know your problem is a short somewhere up above. Check your key switch and kill switch button with a multimeter and if those check out ok, check the green wire for shorts to ground.

B4E92A4D-9A97-4A0E-8C04-CF6EE7CF8664.jpeg

2004 GT now a 2002 ET2
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:34 pm quote
Thanks for pic
MJ- Wow, thanks for the pic and advice. I don't know the history of this scooter as the lady I bought it from was very defensive. She was irritated that she paid $3,400 for it and only rode it for 79 miles before she let it sit in his garage for probably 15 years. I kept telling her all the repairs it may need and I may be right! I put a new battery in and blinkers and horn work but no headlight. Put a new fuel petcock in and lines. Working on the carb but prepared for a new one, would feel better if I get some spark soon. I'll take your advice before I order a new stator. This scooter was stored inside so it looks great at least. Thanks again.
Ossessionato
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:48 pm quote
Headlight runs off the stator (when the motors running.)

Whats the condition of the oil tank and hose? You can follow it down to the front of the belt cover. There’s a black plug the size of a half dollar in the belt cover that shows you the oil pump. Is it clean in there? Is the tiny hose that plugs into the front of the carb that delivers 2T oil intact and was there oil in there?

PM me directly if you need instant help. Works slow so this is a good distraction
2004 GT now a 2002 ET2
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:07 pm quote
Thanks to MJ Rally for help!
Wow, couldn't ask for anything more. Great help from MJ Rally getting me on the right path. We managed to get spark today after learning how to test properly and fit the HT wire to my new CDI. Now the next step is to clean the carb completely and hope to be on the road after that! Thanks again for all your help!
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 am quote
glad you are getting it running

let me know if you need a hand with the carb..its pretty simple to clean it...pay extra attention to the idle jet as this one is usually always clogged....

be sure you are running the airbox with a good airfilter or it will be tough to tune....

the petcocks on these things a known for going bad..if you pull the gas line from the carb and fuel just continuously flows then you will need a new petcock...

these bikes are a blast to ride... i have a ton of leftover oem parts if you need anything
2004 GT now a 2002 ET2
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:42 am quote
Update-ET2 back to life!
Thrilled to get it start last night. Kept kicking to get that gas through the system. MJ's point on the headlight working off the stator is right on as headlight works now. The light seemed to brighten when I touched the throttle. I'm waiting for my filter oil to arrive on Tuesday before I put the new air filter on. My 02 ET must be a newer model as the choke connection clip was nowhere close to the carb. I almost botched the throttle cable install as didn't know to look for that bottom notch to line up, thanks MJ for all your valuable tips through the process. This site is great. I think this has been sitting in a garage for 15 years before I got it a month ago. Trying to blow some of the smoke out of exhaust last night. I forgot the pungent smell of 2 stroke oil in your face. I'll need to register with the MVA in MD and pick up some insurance but will sneak in a test ride today. I won't be too brave today with these old tires and brake fluid. Now I'll order some tires and find a local place to install. My wife and I were thrilled to get this back to life, great COVID project. Thanks, Ken
2004 GT now a 2002 ET2
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:29 am quote
Pics minus side panels
Here's a couple of pics.

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 am quote
Re: Update-ET2 back to life!
Scootergeez wrote:
Trying to blow some of the smoke out of exhaust last night. I forgot the pungent smell of 2 stroke oil in your face.
It's oil in the system because the bike sat and the gas evaporated. It can also happen if the check valve for the oil injection allows oil past when the engine is off. You need to run it about two to five miles to clear this out.
Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:43 am quote
Great barn find. Now you'll want to start modding so you can have a 50mph screamer.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1402s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0337s) ][ Debug on ]