Pet Carrier helmet storage?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2016 Vespa Primavera Settantesimo 50cc
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:47 am quote
Hi!
I was advised that storing my helmet in the pet carrier could have exposed it to fumes and therefore a premature aging and loosening of materials in the helmet. Was about 4 years old.

Question for you - do you store your helmet in the pet carrier?

Have you suffered any adverse situations from that?

Thanks in advance!!

Patrick
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:27 am quote
A bigger issue is finding any helmet that fits in the pet warmer.

I finally found a 3/4 helmet that fits snugly in there, and that's my spare for when I pick someone up. I don't believe there is a full face helmet that fits in there, and even most 3/4 are too big.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:36 am quote
Uhhhh
I did, until I got a top case on it. I haven't noticed anything, but not sure I'd know what to look for. Then again, helmet only 2 years old, top case 2 months old.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:11 am quote
Yeah I'm with most in that just finding a helmet that fits is hard enough to begin with. Seems a bit of s stretch to me and would not be wearing the helmet when the scoot is moving? Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it however will say a top case is probably the best place to store a helmet or use the pet carrier pegs. If it's a spare you carry with you then just get a less expensive one. They really aren't meant to be kept for that long anyway as the materials will age over time regardless of fumes.

I do keep things in the pet carrier and haven't noticed anything degrading over time. It's not a tight seal but I can't see that much getting in.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:53 am quote
I have one retro half face helt that fits. Not much protection but no adverse resuls by keeping in there.
Hooked
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:18 am quote
My wife keeps her half helmet in the pet carrier, and it's been there over 4 years now with zero degradation despite the fact I ride solo 75% of the time so it's in the pet carrier when the motor is hot most of the time.

Eric
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:33 am quote
The only problem is humidity external if the seal between the container and the lid (saddle?) ...doesn't seal well or sweat; then ... when you stop using it let the air inside and use sanitized helmet products otherwise it will stink. If the inner lining can be washed, take it to the laundry and ask for a sanitized wash. Once this is done you can store it at home in dry areas (not in the garage) or put it in the "pet carrier" (ouch!).
I put it in the compartment under the saddle and every now and then I open it to ventilate. I'm lucky, a full-face helmet fits under the saddle on my scooter.
Enthusiast
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:21 am quote
Wonderful insight. Thanks so much!!
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:59 pm quote
You could put the helmet inside a bag and then inside the pet carrier. Sweat, sunshine and rain is what wears out a helmet.
Enthusiast
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:10 pm quote
Thanks, all!
Great responses... great feedback.
Addicted
2019 BV 350
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 pm quote
I have not had a problem with storing my full face helmet in the pet carrier of a MP3 250, and my current BV350. However, I could not fit the helmet in either bike until I removed the evaporative canister.
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:48 pm quote
Greetings:

Next time you find a widget from Amazon on the porch, try this:

Take a piece of the Styrofoam packaging and drop a spoonful of gasoline on it.
That's right, it'll melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.
Can you guess what the composition of the main shock-absorbing material in your helmet is?

If you keep your helmet in the pet carrier, the warmth will dry up the sweat pretty quickly. But if you happen to spill some fuel in there while gassing up - and NB: You WILL! - I recommend you get that helmet out of there PDQ. Fuel fumes don't have the same dramatic effect as liquid gasoline, but the foam will contract over time, and get harder. You might as well wear a bucket on your head if it goes on too long.

YMMV...
Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:40 pm quote
jmd wrote:
I have not had a problem with storing my full face helmet in the pet carrier of a MP3 250, and my current BV350. However, I could not fit the helmet in either bike until I removed the evaporative canister.
I wear a Nolan N-70-2gt, their "convertible" helmet that can be used 3/4 or as a full face with the detachable chin bar. I tried to fit it in the pet carrier on a GTS 300 HPE and a BV 350... not even close. I keep it in the top case on my current GTS when not riding.

I figure every 3 to 5 years it is time for a new helmet. I haven't seen any issue with the previous scoots we had that had room under the seats for our helmets.
Ossessionato
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:15 am quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Let me understand, by carrier you mean the compartment under the saddle? If so, you are saying that the gasoline vapors pass into the carrier but from where ... I knew they are sealed.
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 am quote
Greetings:

The Vespa fuel filler is KNOWN for volcanic Spew whenever you attempt to fill the tank under the saddle. Sometimes I manage not to allow the fuel to blow back in my face, but often I Fail. Spillage can invade the pet carrier, and hence gets to your helmet.
Ossessionato
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 am quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

The Vespa fuel filler is KNOWN for volcanic Spew whenever you attempt to fill the tank under the saddle. Sometimes I manage not to allow the fuel to blow back in my face, but often I Fail. Spillage can invade the pet carrier, and hence gets to your helmet.
I am amazed, i don't have a Vespa but my filler, when full, has a small tube that throws out the excess petrol to prevent it from leaking into the area under the saddle and the vapors also come out of there. And also as you can see from the photo, the rubber gasket (very cleverly) only protects the helmet compartment isolating it from the refueling area.

PS: the photo was taken to show the figs to Fledermouse who loves them.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 pm quote
Attila wrote:
PS: the photo was taken to show the figs to Fledermouse who loves them.
Oh, Atilla, you tease, you!

BTW, Mrs. fledermaus scored a box of FRESH figs at the supermarket, which are rare as hen's teeth around here (sorry if that one throws you off!).

My thoughts on the fumes: Pretty unlikely. that insert fits pretty snugly around the engine compartment, and frankly, if you've got gas fumes around your engine, you have bigger problems.... As for filling errors....well, they happen, which is why I put the filler cap under the raised edge of the carrier. TBH, it's been a few years since I've had a spill, and I don't know why one would put their helmet in there in the course of filling the tank anyway. FWIW, I use the pet carrier for overflow groceries from time to time. Never tasted off....but don't ask my wife about my sense of taste....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:00 pm quote
I always keep my 3/4 helmets in the pet carriers of my two LXs and haven't seen any degradation beyond a touch of mildew in the removable liner when I kept the scoot under a cover during a humid summer (which I don't do anymore).

As to gasoline... it's not a problem as long as you practice the filling technique that has been recommended on MV for ages: fully insert nozzle with handle toward front of bike, slow flow, and prop up the pet carrier bucket with the fuel cap while you fill, as fledermaus suggests. I've never gotten gas in the pet carrier, and it's been many years since I've had any sort of overfill.

I always have my helmet on my head when I'm filling the tank; another reason why it's not a problem.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:21 pm quote
There is no way I could store anything but a H-D style lid inside my underseat carrier. I really battle to find helmets to fit my 62cm skull. If it fits the circumference, the chin will not fit. Usually I find the opening to the helmet is the problem - or else my ears have to come off.

When I bought Sunny, my 300GTS, I went looking for a open face helmet with drop down visor (I wear glasses). I went to the largest helmet distributor in Johannesburg and I started at the most expensive makes. Bell, Nolan, Arai, AGV, Shoei, Shark... even HJC, my full-face helmet maker.
NONE of them fitted !

Eventually I found a helmet that DID fit - VR1.
The cheapest by far, made in Vietnam...
I bought three.
I'll toss them every 2-3 years instead of every 5 years.
Hooked
Gts 300
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 pm quote
My Shoei Jo perfectly fits under the seat. Here in Israel temperatures are often very high and humidity also. And after a long ride the compartiment is like an oven. And I was told the same but itís so convenient to let my helmet in.
After 3 years of this use the helmet is almost like new. Almost because of the knocks it receives. My fault there. All glued parts are still stuck. So no worries. And personally I really dislike the top case as it breaks -to my eyes at least- the timeless line of our Vespas.
Ossessionato
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:45 am quote
The top case breaks the line on all scooters ... and yes, I use the scooter alone and for short distances or a few time so if I have to carry anything else with me I have the flat platform and the bag hanger, great advantages in small ideas.
Yes ... even the climate is a factor to consider, I live in central Italy so it's not like Israel but we're almost there ... even being able to put the scooter in the garage or in a closed place has its value.

Last edited by Attila on Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:52 am quote
Fudmucker are these the ones? How large are yours?

I don't have a top box so very interested.

Screenshot_20201018-094810_Chrome.jpg

Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1666s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0370s) ][ Debug on ]