OP
UTC

ET4

ET4
UTC quote
I have 2001 Vespa ET4 (150cc).

I have a question concerning AF (A/F Air Fuel) mixture screw.

As I turn this clockwise and screw it more tightly into the carburetor body, does this make the scooter run more rich or more lean?

Please let me know from your concrete experiences instead of random guesses. Some motorcycle AF screw controls fuel flow and some controls air flow.

Thanks a lot,
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
UTC quote
Greetings:

Walbro WVF carb, right? OUT is Rich. I have that exact carb from my 2003, swapped for Keihin CVK that was introduced in 2006. Both work fine, but improved considerably with deletion of U.S. Canister evap recapture system.
@jixaw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2

Hooked
@jixaw avatar
2003 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
this tip has always helped me:

if its on the airbox side of the carb, its for air...out is more air

if its on the intake side (out) its for fuel...out is more fuel
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
here's a quickie: run the screw out until it is just flush with the carb body orifice where it threads in.

do this while the motor is warm, and double check the function of your choke.

but that seems to be the sweet spot.

you may need to bump the idle speed down a hair, but other than that you should be rock and roll.

-g
⬆️    About 3 years elapsed    ⬇️
@technomama avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa et4 leadier 125, Vespa Lx 50 2t

Enthusiast
@technomama avatar
UTC quote
I've got the same carb, Walbro WVF, and it works perfectly but isn't the mixture screw discussed here is for idle? I play with it and it affects idle - where is the l mixture screw then? Most likely it doesn't exist even in the hidden form. Many thanks if you come back to this old post, no problem if not.
OP
UTC

ET4

ET4
UTC quote
I got this image from another posting on Modern Vespa. This is a pict of a carb for a different model Vespa. But certain things are still the same. The Air Fuel mixture screw is on the left side of the carb.

But you shouldn't mess with it, because it takes a lot of work to set it just right. Also there is a small washer that you can lose if this A/F screw is totally unscrewed out.

One should read up on the role of Idle screw vs A/F mixture screw. Also A/F mixture screw to adjust fuel vs air.

If you messed up A/F screw adjustment, then first screw it in all the way. And then unscrew it by around 3 complete turn. This will be a good starting point. After that, the optimal will be somewhere within +/- (180 degree, 1/2 turn).

Good luck. If your scooter was working fine for years but feel the need to adjust A/F screw (make richer), then I would say first search for any vacuum leak first. The rubber intake manifold is known to go bad (cracks & leak). And that large thick vacuum hose, you should feel by hand all sides from beginning to end. My large hose, there was a hole from years of rubbing against side of engine.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@technomama avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@technomama avatar
UTC quote
Thank you a lot for your advice. I found a crack in the intake manifold and ordered a new both - manifold and air filter hose. The engine works fine on any screw setting (also, I have disassembled this carb for inspection reasons) but I thought, if I could lean the mixture reasonably, I could add some distance and/or mileage. My longest trip so far was 200 km with 50 cc 2T engine and now with the new 125 4T I look into some greater distances. Going back to the screw - most likely it is the one screw for idle and mixture rich/lean adjustment.
OP
UTC

ET4

ET4
UTC quote
If lean condition because of a vacuum leak, you might
experience following symptoms.

After starting the engine, while auto choke is still
partially ON (extra fuel hence rich), your engine will stay ON.
But about 2-3 minutes later, auto choke ends, and
Your engine will want to die. You will find yourself
Restarting your engine several times over and over.

This whole symptom gets worse after a night of rain,
moisture in air…. , not optimal engine running condition.
But once you get your engine going,
regardless of rain, your engine will work fine.
This is because "hot" engine will run even with lean (vacuum
leak) condition.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
adjusting your A/F mix isn't going to alter your mileage. I mean, maybe if it was way out of adjustment it could have an effect running around town.

it's more for ride-ability, anything past 1/4 throttle it doesn't have much bearing on the operation.
@technomama avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@technomama avatar
UTC quote
A/F mixing - I used tampering with that while riding 2T 50 cc a couple of years ago. I've been making it as rich as possible because I was afraid to overheat the engine running WOT for hours. I noticed another thing - nowhere in the pictures you can find people using air duct hose that runs from under the seat - to the air box. The newer models most likely don't even have that, although LX body surprisingly still has fixing places inside the tip of the seat. Adding a photo from the internet to be clear. It most likely was designed for the first series of "modern vespa" to make sure air turbulence doesn't affect air intake. And with time they found alternative airbox designs containing fewer parts. My airbox is from ET 4, not even sure Leader or pre-Leader.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If you turn the screw in all the way, the engine should die. If it doesn't, the idle is up too high.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0323s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0081s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]