OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Hello my fellow MVers, what's a fair price for my bike? Here's the link
Washington DC - 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super Malossi kit - SOLD
⚠️ Last edited by Budz on UTC; edited 1 time
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I'm not sure about "fair", but scooters are worth what someone will pay for them. The NADA average retail for the bike is about $3,500. In my experience, performance parts don't usually add much to resale value. You should certainly check prices in various on-line listings, remembering that asking price and actual selling price are not the same thing. Looks like whoever buys your scooter will be getting a nice one.
⚠️ Last edited by Dooglas on UTC; edited 1 time
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Agree with Dooglas, you rarely get a good return on farkle or gear. If possible sometimes it is best to sell them separately. It does look like a nice scoot so if you have time to wait the right buyer might come along that appreciates the upgrades.

Sorry to see you really are calling it quits but I can understand your reasoning. Not sure how I would handle it if in the same situation.

*EDIT* changed really to rarely... spelling is hard!
⚠️ Last edited by Harbinger on UTC; edited 1 time
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
I approve of both Harbinger and Dooglas.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It's not what's fair or unfair, it's what someone else is willing to pay for it. The answer is probably not $6500.

In Winter, you are looking at low to mid 3K, maybe more if someone wants to give someone else a Vespa for Christmas. In Spring, high 3, maybe up to 42-4500 at tax time. White is not a popular color, so you are going to be a few hundred to a thousand back of what you could get if it's red or black, and it won't sell as fast. OTOH, the person who has always wanted a white GTS might find you.
Whenever I sold a used GTS that someone took the time and money to customize and make theirs with a lot of accessories, I removed them. The bike sells faster, because the used buyer knows they want a Vespa, and doesn't have a clue what anything else on the list is. So they are not going to pay for it, if there's another option where they don't have to.
The other problem you are going to have is that it's a five year old bike, and you are trying to get dealership money, without being able to offer customer financing or a warranty. People can put together 3-4 grand for a used Vespa, but much over that, and new ones look mighty tempting.
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
I'll take the Shoei helmet. Tell me how much for shipping to 37055
Thanks
Tony
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Hi Budz,

It sounds like you have invested a lot on scooter.

But no windscreen, no top box, no crashbars.

I believe your price is inflated.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
Cool bike, but I don't know if someone would pay $6500. That seems a bit steep for a 5 year-old bike, even with all the mods and the relatively low miles. By comparison, a 2020 GTS300 HPE (less your cool mods, but plus a 2 year warranty) is $7200 from some dealers. If you want to sell it quickly, drop the price... Try $5000 to 5500 and see what happens. If you want to sell it really quickly, drop the price to $2500 and PM me.
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
UTC quote
I have to agree with what others have said. I've learned over many years of motorcycling and buying and selling bikes, that the add ons don't really add value to the bike. (I also worked in motorcycle sales for a local Harley dealer)

They may make a scooter/bike sell faster but most folks will not pay extra for them. It's always best to remove what you can and sell them separately. Then price you scooter realistically to sell. When buying a used scooter, most folks just want the lowest price, and definitely not over book value.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
Hey Budz. I've known you since you owned an SH. Then a Kimco. Now you have a sweet Vespa and a BV.
I don't know the circumstances of the need to sell it but if you don't need the money/space keep it. It's always nice to have a backup bike when your primary bike is down for service.
Don't let the vultures start circling your Vespa.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Hey Budz. I've known you since you owned an SH. Then a Kimco. Now you have a sweet Vespa and a BV.
I don't know the circumstances of the need to sell it but if you don't need the money/space keep it. It's always nice to have a backup bike when your primary bike is down for service.
For those that are unaware.

Hit by a police SUV
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
For those that are unaware.

Hit by a police SUV
Shhh! They are both having a moment here.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
it's the middle of October, it's not selling time. this is buying time. from now until mid march prices are going to be low, not to mention the whole end of the world situation with everybody out of work and no fun money rolling around.

anyway, it's a nice bike. well maintained and cared for and with some tasty mods. but like moto said: it's not resale red, sultry silver, bangin' black or some sought after one year only or lusted after color.

it's a white gts with a bunch of performance stuff that nobody knows about.

in my neck of the woods, you're about 15 over. it'd move the needle at something like 45~50

unless you sit on it till you find that *one* person that wants exactly that or wait till spring comes a bloomin' figure more in that range.

best guess, 4750 is where you wind up.

-g
@gotmojo avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300, BV250

Hooked
@gotmojo avatar
GTS 300, BV250
UTC quote
FWIW, I just bought a 2018 Super w/5k mi for $4800 in SoCal. Prices here tend to be a bit to considerably higher than elsewhere.

All of your farkles mean little, if anything to the average buyer. I would be looking at paying no more than $4500-$4700 for that bike if it were here. Avg NADA + 30% of the value of upgrades is my rough estimation for a starting point.

Values on non HPE models are going to continue to drop over time.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
GotMojo wrote:
FWIW, I just bought a 2018 Super w/5k mi for $4800 in SoCal. Prices here tend to be a bit to considerably higher than elsewhere.

All of your farkles mean little, if anything to the average buyer. I would be looking at paying no more than $4500-$4700 for that bike if it were here. Avg NADA + 30% of the value of upgrades is my rough estimation for a starting point.

Values on non HPE models are going to continue to drop over time.
Totally agree with you, Greasy and moto plus others. I buy farkles because I want them and realize I'll never get an ROI. That being said I am very glad I have the last model GTV produced and in a very popular colour that I believe Piaggio said it was retiring after the 2017 GTV. The custom black actual leather saddle and black leg trim might add some value. The malossi kit and Bitubos, remus , force master 2 etc I doubt I will get anywhere even close to what they cost me back.

The way I see it once I own something outright any money I get back is a bonus. A home is an investment, a bike not so much.

If you are in no rush wait for the right buyer and Greasy and Moto are bang on I believe with what to expect. The HPE has also hurt the market especially for the GTS. Anyone that does their homework (and they should) that is looking for a used Vespa will know about the HPE and that doe into play in your favour. I like white scoots but as said it's not a really popular colour.

*EDIT*

For fun I just checked the used listings for my model Vespa and I think I did make a good choice. I'm a little shocked actually though I'm not selling it anytime soon.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
i mean it really comes down to this: your bike is rad, and it has a grip of really cool shit on it. everything i would want-- but that's *just* me.

joe dickhead that wants a vespa can walk into a dealer, put 1K down and pay $99 a month for a brand new bike with a warranty in the exact color they want.

there's a buyer for your bike, it's just finding that person and figuring out where you want to meet on the money.

unfortunately, this time of year and what all else is going down it's a buyers market and not really a sellers market.

drop your price a few hundy and see if you get some nibbles.

-g
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i
UTC quote
I warn you, in advance, that before retirement, I was called "Mr. Tact". It was intended to be sarcastic.
Honestly, I think this is a $3500-$4000 scooter. I've bought two GTSs each with under 1000 miles (one was a year old, the other was three years old) and the price paid, on average, was about 40% less than the retail price when new. They were both in perfect condition when bought.
To me, your mods are not worth paying much for; I would think 20% of your cost would be optimistic. A top case and crash bars would be worth more to most potential buyers.
One question: it seems awfully early to have replaced the brakes. I have 20,000 miles on one and 16,000 miles on the other with original brakes on both. Are you hard on the brakes or perhaps your shop is a little overly zealous?
Sorry to be pessimistic; I hope you do better.
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Thank you everybody for your sound perspective. I am definitely open to price reduction. The key is to be realistic and not sentimental. While I love my GTS, to everyone else, it is just another GTS...
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Kayemtee wrote:
One question: it seems awfully early to have replaced the brakes. I have 20,000 miles on one and 16,000 miles on the other with original brakes on both. Are you hard on the brakes or perhaps your shop is a little overly zealous?
Excellent point about the brakes. Some things are best left un-said.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
I gave 4K for my 2015 with no farkle and 10000 miles. But I agree you'll do better by removing the easy to remove stuff and selling it separately. I'm in the 4.5k-5k group on this one, depending on how much someone values the additions to the bike. I agree with Greasy - it's good stuff on there and in an ideal world that stuff would add up to a better price but a 5 year old bike vs a new one for 6-7K, you won't be able to get the price much north of 5k at best.
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Kayemtee wrote:
I got nails in both my tires and replaced them (I in construction sites a lot) so I had the brakes done too so I can ride the next 5,000 miles worry free. But the accident happened with the BV and here we are...
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
I gave 4K for my 2015 with no farkle and 10000 miles. But I agree you'll do better by removing the easy to remove stuff and selling it separately. I'm in the 4.5k-5k group on this one, depending on how much someone values the additions to the bike. I agree with Greasy - it's good stuff on there and in an ideal world that stuff would add up to a better price but a 5 year old bike vs a new one for 6-7K, you won't be able to get the price much north of 5k at best.
I can't take the mods off, they are mechanical and suspension. I don't have chrome, crash bars etc. they are not my style, I like the original Vespa design and don't have anything that's not OEM not even a top case, except the mirrors.

I was planning on keeping my GTS for a long while. It's quick and fun to ride. You can easily pop wheelies with it. I'll miss it...
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Kayemtee wrote:
When most of your braking is pulling it back from 80-85 mph, you do tend to go through brakes.
@mimsw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 GTS300 Touring

Hooked
@mimsw avatar
2018 GTS300 Touring
UTC quote
I just did many of the mods you have on your bike (full Malossi cylinder kit, ForceMaster, Akropovic, etc). Having both bought and sold used and new GTS 300's, I knew going in that I wouldn't get back the costs of this work through re-sale. My rationale was different, though; either invest in a new HPE and the extra torque for $$$$, or upgrade my 2018 with 6k on it. I'm delighted with the results, but I don't expect to make that back.

Good luck...I hope you do well!
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
I can't take the mods off, they are mechanical and suspension. I don't have chrome, crash bars etc. they are not my style, I like the original Vespa design and don't have anything that's not OEM not even a top case, except the mirrors.

I was planning on keeping my GTS for a long while. It's quick and fun to ride. You can easily pop wheelies with it. I'll miss it...
Well that depends if you did the install on them - sounds like no. If you were the more handy sort and had installed them, this would be possible but even then it's a lot of work. I wrote a whole thread in NSM section on detuning my P200 to make it sell easier and then selling off the go-fast parts. I ended up doing far better than I would have if I'd have sold the scooter in the tuned condition. Even so, I balked at removing my long stroke crank and left it in with a stock P200 barrel - hassle to dollar factor was too high Laughing emoticon . It was hard to accept that all my go-fast parts were worth near zero to the normal buyer market, but a few months of no sale made that sink in.
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
Budz wrote:

Well that depends if you did the install on them - sounds like no. If you were the more handy sort and had installed them, this would be possible but even then it's a lot of work. I wrote a whole thread in NSM section on detuning my P200 to make it sell easier and then selling off the go-fast parts. I ended up doing far better than I would have if I'd have sold the scooter in the tuned condition. Even so, I balked at removing my long stroke crank and left it in with a stock P200 barrel - hassle to dollar factor was too high Laughing emoticon . It was hard to accept that all my go-fast parts were worth near zero to the normal buyer market, but a few months of no sale made that sink in.
yeah, I wasn't planning on selling my GTS. The idea was to keep it along with the BV 350 and in time trade in the BV for something else, maybe a new BV 400 if the rumors are true. But always keep the GTS, unfortunately the crash changed my out look on riding...
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
sorry to read about your accident, I never read that thread but I caught up now. I hope you either have good luck with your sale or have such bad luck that you take up riding again and enjoy it
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
sorry to read about your accident, I never read that thread but I caught up now. I hope you either have good luck with your sale or have such bad luck that you take up riding again and enjoy it
thanks! Problem is, I love riding, I love the GTS and bikes in general...
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
sdjohn wrote:
thanks! Problem is, I love riding, I love the GTS and bikes in general...
that's a pretty solid reason to pause and think on it - maybe wait until spring when you'll do better on price anyway. you won't be able to get back into something so fun without investing some serious dough, so it might be worth holding onto for a bit...
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
Budz wrote:

Whattttt? I coulda held out longer and gotten those parts even cheaper?!??

J/K John, you hooked me up solid and I'm very appreciative of it.

Let me get my stuff wired tight and let's come together on the lammy/vbb/smallie situation. I understand it's dragged on and that's my fault, but do know that's on the front of my mind!

-g
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
Whattttt? I coulda held out longer and gotten those parts even cheaper?!??

J/K John, you hooked me up solid and I'm very appreciative of it.

Let me get my stuff wired tight and let's come together on the lammy/vbb/smallie situation. I understand it's dragged on and that's my fault, but do know that's on the front of my mind!

-g
No sweat I have no doubt that Kajiit will stuff my Honda minivan with boundless goodies once we get to it Razz emoticon
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Thank you for the good advice. I sold my GTS yesterday to a very nice British fellow who wanted this exact bike. He has a very nice white Lambreta and real scooterist. A bit of good luck to find someone who wanted those exact mods and bike color. Factoring the cost of the bike and mods, the difference was only $200 in the sale, not bad.
Thanks again, as always you were a big help and as always it is very much appreciated!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
Thank you for the good advice. I sold my GTS yesterday to a very nice British fellow who wanted this exact bike. He has a very nice white Lambreta and real scooterist. A bit of good luck to find someone who wanted those exact mods and bike color. Factoring the cost of the bike and mods, the difference was only $200 in the sale, not bad.
Thanks again, as always you were a big help and as always it is very much appreciated!
Congratulations. I hope you told the British guy to join Modern Vespa unless of course he is already a member.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0325s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0085s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]