supporting frame for re-build?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:39 pm quote
I'm getting my freshly painted p125x frame back in a couple of days. I'm looking for suggestions for how to "store" it in my garage so that I can begin to put all the bits back on it. I need to do everything, obviously. Rails, trim, wiring, grommets, etc.

I have a Walmart plastic folding table that is solid, but it is too high to work on the frame. I have a couple of low milk crate type things, but they seem not ideal (they are pretty light, and would make it hard to work on the underside).

What do you guys recommend? Hopefully something I can get for not much $ from Home Depot, Menards, etc. I was thinking sawhorses at first, but looking at the ones on Amazon they seem very high for what I think I need. I almost need a low coffee table?
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm quote
A low coffee table is exactly what I use. Itís a perfect height. Just make sure itís solid. You should be able to find one on craigslist or offer up for much less than it would cost to build a work table.
Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:00 pm quote
I used a plastic crate with a towel or cardboard on top. Makes it easy to shift it around because you can lift the crate and frame together. The frame balanced well and never fell off. I had/have very little space in the shed tho. With more space you could definitely have a more ergonomic stand. Used a low plastic chair and all was good.

973C0B7B-41A1-48DA-BC79-BC8DCDED2C03.jpeg

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:25 am quote
home desperate or lowes sells "burro brand" saw horses in two levels. the mini and the standard. i've used both with a spare piece of 15/16 subfloor covered in spare carpet. the lower ones are nice, but you'll want a kneeler pad. the standard ones you can use a rolly and work at about waist level.

i just screwed the deck straight into the sawhorses and then used heavy duty velcro strips to attach the carpet.

best part is, the sawhorses stack up and you can stash the deck and roll up the carpet and it all fits neatly in a corner or on top of a rack when you're done and then you've got it for the next time.

i added some big eye hooks at the front so i could get a bar harness on there so when the time came to jack the rear end to slide the motor in every thing was cake.

you can even go one further and make a base for the saw horses and add some castors so that you can roll it off to the side when you've got another project or something else that needs the room or attention.

or just hit the alleyways and pick up a coffee table. tis the season and all that, the alley giveth and the alley taketh away.

-g

-g
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1693s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0459s) ][ Debug on ]