MP3, 400ie , 2009 model dies by itself?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 pm quote
Hi all,

I have MP3, 400ie, 2009 model. It is well maintained and I did the major service (Steering bearing, driving belt, chaining tires) about couple of months ago and I did minor service (oil change etc...) about a week ago. I noticed sometime ago that is cases where I come to a stop like a traffic lights or to turn, slowing to a stop (removing the power from the throttle), the scooter stops or dies, it turns off by itself, today it happened 3 times in less than an hour. I like to know what is the possible reason for this to happen, a friend mentioned that the spark plug needs changing, I changed it some time ago about a year or so ago.

Anyone faced that? what is the possible reason? could it be due to its age with some cables need changing etc.....

I appreciate all comments,

thanks a lot,
ride safe!
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:04 am quote
my 2009 500 has this stalling issue. it is the definition of periodic and confusing. it can go weeks maybe months with no stalling. worst case stalled about 6 times in half hour. my stalling is mostly occurring right after a hot restart. which could indicate the injector leaks a tad. results in vapor lock like condition that clears up after a few seconds.

I did notice if I just hit starter button to restart the stalling is more likely to repeat. if you reset ignition key it is far more likely to not stall again. my kill switch is new so that is not the issue. but it may be the connections in the ignition switch that are showing age and results in momentary lost connection due to vibration . if not that I dont know what the cause is. unfortunately the electric half of ignition is not sold separate like on a vespa. its expensive to replace entire ignition switch.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:15 pm quote
jerryd wrote:
my 2009 500 has this stalling issue. it is the definition of periodic and confusing. it can go weeks maybe months with no stalling. worst case stalled about 6 times in half hour. my stalling is mostly occurring right after a hot restart. which could indicate the injector leaks a tad. results in vapor lock like condition that clears up after a few seconds.

I did notice if I just hit starter button to restart the stalling is more likely to repeat. if you reset ignition key it is far more likely to not stall again. my kill switch is new so that is not the issue. but it may be the connections in the ignition switch that are showing age and results in momentary lost connection due to vibration . if not that I dont know what the cause is. unfortunately the electric half of ignition is not sold separate like on a vespa. its expensive to replace entire ignition switch.
Thanks for your reply. My issue is not when at starting the scooter, it starts 100% without any issues. My problem is when I ride it and it happens after some time, when the scooter is heated up also, I noticed it mostly when I am going to slow down to a stop like traffic lights or turning, I release the throttle and then it dies, I remember it happened once when I was riding and I just released the throttle, it died by itself. So I don't think it is as you described as what you mentioned happens when starting the scooter. I am not a mechanic but this is from my thinking.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:48 am quote
Yes, this sounds like you valve clearances are in need of checking and probably adjusting. Typically the bike will often start ok, and then once hot the bike can stall out. You will likely not be getting full power or best economy either. Check you valve clearances at the specified service intervals laid down in your bikes manual. It's not hard to do.
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:33 am quote
abcdef wrote:
jerryd wrote:

Thanks for your reply. My issue is not when at starting the scooter, it starts 100% without any issues. My problem is when I ride it and it happens after some time, when the scooter is heated up also, I noticed it mostly when I am going to slow down to a stop like traffic lights or turning, I release the throttle and then it dies, I remember it happened once when I was riding and I just released the throttle, it died by itself. So I don't think it is as you described as what you mentioned happens when starting the scooter. I am not a mechanic but this is from my thinking.
mine has no ryme or reason. last time i was at traffic light waiting for green. it died just as light turned green. it never dies if engine is in cruise. its always a stall from idle.

my valves clearance is spot on. but I wouldnt suspect that anyway. it dies just like when the ign is shut off. its electrical issue of some sort. just one of those things thats impossible to diagnose. it always restarts 100%.
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 am quote
It could be that the throttle body needs cleaning. No harm in trying.

Just make sure to use throttle body spray, not carburetor cleaner.

I had exactly the same issue with my 2008 MP3 400.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:27 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:

Thanks, is the throttle body the left hand side handle? or what?
cheers
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 am quote
abcdef wrote:
mpfrank wrote:

cheers
It's in the air intake for the engine (intake manifold). You need to remove the air filter housing.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:59 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
abcdef wrote:
mpfrank wrote:

cheers
It's in the air intake for the engine (intake manifold). You need to remove the air filter housing.
it's on the left hand side of the bike, on the bottom part, I removed the cover and changed the air filter and cleaned it from inside and I washed that area by water (after closing the air filter- the engine part I washed). So could it be leftovers of water???? I have two filters, so I change the filter each time I do oil change, the used one I cleaned with de-greaser and wash it in warm water and then keep it to dry to use it in the next oil change.

thanks,
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1440s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0291s) ][ Debug on ]