Can "the notch" be prevented?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 am quote
I'm in the process of buying a new (to me) MP3 400, 2008, 8k miles on it. And selling my current ride, which developed the notch at about 25k miles.

I would like to try to prevent the notch from occurring on the new bike, if at all possible. Is it possible? As always, thanks in advance for your help!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:29 am quote
I have not developed notch at 46,000 miles.
Grease the bearings and adjust them.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:33 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Thank you.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:12 pm quote
Carolan wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Thank you.
So no Spyder, eh?
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:52 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Carolan wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Thank you.
So no Spyder, eh?
{grin} Heh. To be honest, I was on the verge of switching to a Spyder when a friend of mine alerted me to this low-mileage machine on Craigslist. We had a look and it's a steal, in good condition. Garage kept, service records detailed.

I figure I can take the lessons I learned and mistakes I made with my first MP3 and do a better job with this one until I'm truly ready to switch to a trike or Spyder. That day will come, but it is not this day.

The guy I'm selling my first machine to is retired and loves working on MP3s, so he'll do a good job fixing it up and enjoying it.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:41 am quote
This is strictly my own experience, but to me the Spyder fails on several fronts.

1) It is not a bike, plain and simple. At best it rides and feels like a quad, and cannot lean, thus rendering it something that cannot be classified as a motorcycle.

2) Size. The thing is just too wide up front and as a result no lane splitting. What is the point of having a "bike" if you have to sit in traffic? If so, I'd rather be in a car and have heating and aircon and be dry.

3) Maintenance. Not the easiest things to work on. Parts pricing and dealer service is very high. Also, dealer network is pretty limited.

4) Electronic nannies. While we Piaggio guys may gripe about the aggressive ASR system, it pales compared to the Spyder's stability control system.

5) Price. IF you're buying a new one, you're paying about the same as a entry model VW Golf or Jetta. No offense to Bombardier, but I'll take the VW then. Why? See point #2
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:06 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
This is strictly my own experience, but to me the Spyder fails on several fronts.

1) It is not a bike, plain and simple. At best it rides and feels like a quad, and cannot lean, thus rendering it something that cannot be classified as a motorcycle.

2) Size. The thing is just too wide up front and as a result no lane splitting. What is the point of having a "bike" if you have to sit in traffic? If so, I'd rather be in a car and have heating and aircon and be dry.

3) Maintenance. Not the easiest things to work on. Parts pricing and dealer service is very high. Also, dealer network is pretty limited.

4) Electronic nannies. While we Piaggio guys may gripe about the aggressive ASR system, it pales compared to the Spyder's stability control system.

5) Price. IF you're buying a new one, you're paying about the same as a entry model VW Golf or Jetta. No offense to Bombardier, but I'll take the VW then. Why? See point #2
I hear you on all points. I joined a couple of Spyder owner groups and quickly learned it comes with its own set of inherent problems. As all vehicles do, I guess. And you're right about the price. Jeez. At less than half that price I can buy a brand new Burgman and put a Voyager kit on it.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:59 am quote
Suzuki Burgman 650 for the win then. OR if you can stretch the budget get any one of Honda DCT equipped bikes (NC750, X-ADV, Africa Twin, Gold Wing).

Nothing beats a Honda, and nothing beats the low running costs of a Honda.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:09 am quote
sbaert wrote:
Suzuki Burgman 650 for the win then. OR if you can stretch the budget get any one of Honda DCT equipped bikes (NC750, X-ADV, Africa Twin, Gold Wing).

Nothing beats a Honda, and nothing beats the low running costs of a Honda.
That would be awesome to be able to ride a Gold Wing. Those always turn my head when they go by.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1430s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0420s) ][ Debug on ]