After replacing rear tire
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 pm quote
Hi folks,
I recently had a new rear tire installed on my MP3. Since then, my rear brake control feels very different. It doesn't seem to have the braking power, and I have to squeeze almost all the way to get any braking force. I'm wondering if it's just my imagination or if there was something changed during the tire replacement. Thanks for any thoughts.
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:52 am quote
friction material can be ruined by oil or brake fluid and maybe even antifreeze?

years ago I had an expensive clutch disc sent to me. poorly packed with other things being shipped. it arrived oily. I tried gas, soaps, sandpaper, etc to get the oil out but its impossible. using a heat gun as a test when it looked dry and usable ,tiny little oil drops would rise to surface. friction material can be like a sponge.

some will say even cast iron used for friction surface is also impregnable with oil. I havent seen the evidence of that though. I did install the clutch disc and it didnt have the holding power and chattered ( jumpy instead of slippy) on take off.

brake feel can return in your situation. if you see no improvement after 50 miles or so its not gonna. change the pads
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:33 am quote
jerryd wrote:
some will say even cast iron used for friction surface is also impregnable with oil. I havent seen the evidence of that though. I did install the clutch disc and it didnt have the holding power and chattered ( jumpy instead of slippy) on take off.
think of cast iron pans and pots.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:34 am quote
You have to release the brake pads a little to remove the wheel, and it's possible that the pads haven't returned to their default position. Or maybe you're low on fluid and a little air got in there. Or maybe the parking brake was loosened and never tightened.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:18 am quote
Re: After replacing rear tire
44fulcrum wrote:
Hi folks,
I recently had a new rear tire installed on my MP3. Since then, my rear brake control feels very different. It doesn't seem to have the braking power, and I have to squeeze almost all the way to get any braking force. I'm wondering if it's just my imagination or if there was something changed during the tire replacement. Thanks for any thoughts.
Is the lever coming near all the way back to the bars? If so it's likely you have air in the system and it needs to be bled. Who installed the new tyre? If it was a Piaggio dealer they should know what to do if you take it back. If you entrusted the bike to a tyre replacement firm, it's unlikely they will know what to do. On the other hand, it is possible, as has been said above, that you have some contamination with grease on the discs or pads. I'd take it back to get it sorted.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1289s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0258s) ][ Debug on ]