Installed new battery. All hell's broken loose.
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:14 am quote
EDIT: RESOLVED. Blown 20 amp fuse in main fuse box.

----------------

Previous battery, which was only about a year old and kept on a tender, went flat. We installed a brand new battery, tested it with the volt meter, looks good. Turned on ignition and:

- horn beeps continuously
- all lights come on and won't shut off
- tilt lock will not disengage, either via the switch or by revving the throttle with rider in the saddle
- the bike DOES start but does not rev

Looked through the owner and workshop manuals and didn't see any solutions.

So, once again, right when I think we've gotten the bike road worthy again, something else goes wrong.

Ideas gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by Carolan on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:03 am quote
Did you top off this new battery with your tender before installation? A voltage reading can be a bit misleading. Sounds like the battery isn't at full charge.
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:27 am quote
Greetings:

Double-check Polarity?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:12 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Did you top off this new battery with your tender before installation? A voltage reading can be a bit misleading. Sounds like the battery isn't at full charge.
^^^^
This!

I'm amazed how many people think that a new lead-acid battery will come with full charge and properly equalised cells. Then they complain when it fails after a year - or even when first used!
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
My husband insists there's no issue with the battery, but I will attach it to the tender overnight. Definitely can't hurt.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:21 pm quote
Make sure you set that charger to no more than 1Amp charge rate. Using a standard car charger will boil out and/or damage the cells in a matter of minutes.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:48 pm quote
Picture of dashboard lights. My husband took this picture. When I sat on it and turn the key on, the same thing happened but more dashboard lights were on. This shows three, I had at least five. He also took video, I'll try to post that.

IMG_6550.jpeg

Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:52 pm quote
Link to video

https://youtu.be/kzvINlU48W0
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:34 pm quote
Measure voltage at battery with the engine running.

You should see a number between 13.5V-14.5Volt.

With the flickering light, I suspect you either have a bad voltage regulator or a bad battery.

FYI, it appears your vehicle is behind on needed service as indicated on the LCD by the wrench and drivebelt icons
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:38 pm quote
sbaert wrote:

With the flickering light, I suspect you either have a bad voltage regulator or a bad battery.

FYI, it appears your vehicle is behind on needed service as indicated on the LCD by the wrench and drivebelt icons
Thanks, we'll check. We topped off the battery overnight. The tilt lock is stuck "on" so the engine will not rev.
Moderaptor
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:12 pm quote
Carolan wrote:
sbaert wrote:

Thanks, we'll check. We topped off the battery overnight. The tilt lock is stuck "on" so the engine will not rev.
Even with the 'double-click'?

I suppose the old battery might have failed leaving the tilt-lock mechanism in a weird configuration - but a fresh (properly prepped!) battery should sort that out.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:17 pm quote
jimc wrote:

I suppose the old battery might have failed leaving the tilt-lock mechanism in a weird configuration - but a fresh (properly prepped!) battery should sort that out.
Even with the double click. Nothing on the bike is responding.
Moderaptor
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 pm quote
Carolan wrote:
jimc wrote:

Even with the double click. Nothing on the bike is responding.
Have all the fuses been checked? Not by eyeball but with a meter?
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:17 pm quote
Quote:
Have all the fuses been checked? Not by eyeball but with a meter?
That's the next task, probably tomorrow if it's not too horribly cold out in the garage. It snowed today.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:30 am quote
or a fuse or lock ecu looks like wrong way arround connected battery
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:39 am quote
Greetings:

I could not explain the multitude of symptoms ("horn blows incessantly" is a big clue) without the accidental creation of a Positive Earth chassis, even if momentary. What I DON'E know is if this would cause permanent damage to anything electronic after correct polarity is restored. A poorly-charged battery seems to me an insufficient explanation for the scenario first described.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:23 am quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

I could not explain the multitude of symptoms ("horn blows incessantly" is a big clue) without the accidental creation of a Positive Earth chassis, even if momentary. What I DON'E know is if this would cause permanent damage to anything electronic after correct polarity is restored. A poorly-charged battery seems to me an insufficient explanation for the scenario first described.
The battery appears to be connected correctly - neg to neg, pos to pos. What we don't know is if, when connecting the battery, if we accidently touched something that sent a brief jolt of charge the wrong way. Would that fry something critical?
Moderaptor
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:08 am quote
Carolan wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

The battery appears to be connected correctly - neg to neg, pos to pos. What we don't know is if, when connecting the battery, if we accidently touched something that sent a brief jolt of charge the wrong way. Would that fry something critical?
Almost certainly it'd fry something - but I've seen several scoots that have had the battery installed the wrong way round, and each time the only thing amiss was the main fuse blown.

All the electronics *should* be protected by diodes or internal regulators.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:13 pm quote
Update: 20 amp fuse was blown in the main fuse box. It's either slot 3 or 4 - my husband took it out so I don't know which way it's oriented.

He's checking the auxiliary box now.
Moderaptor
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:46 pm quote
Carolan wrote:
Update: 20 amp fuse was blown in the main fuse box. It's either slot 3 or 4 - my husband took it out so I don't know which way it's oriented.

He's checking the auxiliary box now.
It'd be slot 2 or 3 (no.4 should be 15A) - and I bet it was no.3, which feeds the tilt-lock ECU.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1629s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0351s) ][ Debug on ]