Buying used MP3 - owner lost "red" key.
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:55 am quote
I've committed to buy a used, low-mileage MP3 but just found out the owner does not have the red master key. Can it be replaced?
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:13 pm quote
If you mean by a new red master or a key code card, then I think the answer is no.

About the only other way out is to get a complete key and lock set from Piaggio directly.

Honestly, a vehicle without a master key is worth scrap value only (at least to me) since you will not be able to code additional keys even if they are cut the same or copied from your donor key.
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:43 pm quote
Of course it's best to receive the red key. But failing this, the situation is not so dire. You can have multiple clones of the existing blue key made for a reasonable fee. For example https://www.af1racing.com/af1-racing-key-cloning-for-piaggio-mp3-bv350

Not ideal. But not a showstopper if the price is right and the bike is otherwise a fit for you. I'd personally use it as a negotiating point and ride on.

Last edited by berto on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:16 pm quote
there are companies that can read your ecu and make a new chip

i can but it will be cheaper to copy the black key
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:29 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
If you mean by a new red master or a key code card, then I think the answer is no.

About the only other way out is to get a complete key and lock set from Piaggio directly.

Honestly, a vehicle without a master key is worth scrap value only (at least to me) since you will not be able to code additional keys even if they are cut the same or copied from your donor key.
Sorry, that's bollocks. Of course keys can be cut and cloned from the current service key.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:57 am quote
jimc wrote:
Sorry, that's bollocks. Of course keys can be cut and cloned from the current service key.
Cloning a key merely gives you that, a clone of the old existing service key. The vehicle will still not have a master key.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:41 am quote
you can also change the hex code so the key that exist becomes the new master former redkey
but you only need the master to add a new blank key
So why should you do that iets easier to clone than to program a new key
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:45 am quote
Surprisingly common occurrence even though my OCD doesn't understand how owners can misplace such an important item. Have they all gone to missing dryer sock heaven?

In the real world though, not that big a deal. How often do you really need to make new keys? As long as you have a working key that will start the thing, you can get that key cloned and have a spare, (or two).

That reminds me. I bought mine with a single key a year ago and still haven't had a spare made. Should probably do that over the winter.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:35 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
Surprisingly common occurrence even though my OCD doesn't understand how owners can misplace such an important item. Have they all gone to missing dryer sock heaven?

In the real world though, not that big a deal. How often do you really need to make new keys? As long as you have a working key that will start the thing, you can get that key cloned and have a spare, (or two).

That reminds me. I bought mine with a single key a year ago and still haven't had a spare made. Should probably do that over the winter.
I lose things all the time, just ask my wife. The one thing I will never lose is the master keys from my vehicles. Reason being is of course at some point I'm going to lose a key and need a new one made... anyway they go in with our important documents and I immediately put them there. The BMW is keyless and comes with one dongle and a "service" key that is really tiny and plastic. Honestly though keyless is brilliant of course until it stops working. Apparently a lot of owners secure the service key in a hidden spot somewhere on the bike. I don't think it's as critical as the Piaggio masters.

Anyway as said not a deal breaker IF the price and fit is right. It might help you bargain the price down a bit, at least the cost of having a few clones made.
Moderaptor
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:31 am quote
sbaert wrote:
jimc wrote:
Cloning a key merely gives you that, a clone of the old existing service key. The vehicle will still not have a master key.
So what? I don't think I've ever had to use the master key for any of my Piaggio bikes right from when they started to issue them. Like the (totally useless) code card - not that important.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
You are living on borrowed time. Right now would be a good moment to get that key cloned.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:41 pm quote
jimc wrote:
...Like the (totally useless) code card - not that important.
The code card is not useless. It allows you to order a new key from a authorized Piaggio dealer even if you don't have any keys, at least here in continental Europe.

Tip: Even FIAT keys work on the MP3 as long as the key blank is cut and then programmed using the Piaggio master key.
Moderaptor
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:07 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
jimc wrote:
...Like the (totally useless) code card - not that important.
The code card is not useless. It allows you to order a new key from a authorized Piaggio dealer even if you don't have any keys, at least here in continental Europe.

Tip: Even FIAT keys work on the MP3 as long as the key blank is cut and then programmed using the Piaggio master key.
Fiat (and Lancia) keys can be cloned as Piaggio ones quite happily too - I had quite a few done back in my UK X9 days.

No UK dealer that I ever approached could do anything useful with the key card. Maybe the factory could - but who the hell wants to wait three weeks (minimum in the UK) to get something sent from Piaggio in Italy.

I'll add - the OP is in the USA, so almost totally impossible to get anything from Piaggio Italy in a timely manner. They charge so much for shipping that orders have to pile up to a container-load (or sensible part thereof) before it's worth getting factory stuff sent over. Then it comes by ship to Texas, then has to come across country. All for a new key? Get it cloned!
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:42 am quote
keycard is useless!!! you can not buy a new key from a dealer that way Piaggio italy dont register the keycard to a key

A dealer will sell you a new ecu and lock for 1200+ euro

only why is getting it cloned or read the throttlebody and get or change the codes that way
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:55 am quote
The only problem with cloning a key is that you'll lose the use of the key while it's being cloned. But winter is coming up, so it's a good time to do it. And if the seller has two keys, then no worries. But without a red key, I'd definitely want two spares.
Vespa ET2, MP3 250ie
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:59 am quote
Cloning in NYC
Iím in this exact situation bought an 2008 MP3 250 without a master key. Wondering if anyone knows any local place in NYC I could get my key cloned?
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1388s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0260s) ][ Debug on ]