My Supertech (+Sprint/Primavera Sport) app now on PlayStore
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
Vespa Supertech
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:54 am quote
I wrote this app so I could get audio warnings in my bluetooth helmet when going over the speed limit. The official app knows the current speed and the speed limit as it can flash the speed limit icon on the bike dashboard, so I made an app to monitor this and give me beeps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steelbytes.vespasnoop

It's a work in progress so yeah the UI is minimal. Just got pretty guages working for speed + rpm but it's now beer o'clock so updates and screenshots tomorrow

currently adding more to it such as recording rides so I can export graphs to excel and a decent display of current info (speed, rpm, etc).

note:
only tested with my supertech using km. need a testers for other bikes.
also a computer is required briefly after installation of this app to complete the process. Instructions are in the app.

Screenshot_20210111-162642.png
Dash

Last edited by steelbytes on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am quote
hey there! I dont own this bike but I think its really cool that you made an app!
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 pm quote
jixaw wrote:
hey there! I dont own this bike but I think its really cool that you made an app!
Agreed!

How did you gain access to the inputs (current speed, speed limit, etc)? I wouldn't think Piaggio would provide an API, or any easy way to get the info.
Enthusiast
Vespa Supertech
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:30 pm quote
berto wrote:
How did you gain access to the inputs (current speed, speed limit, etc)? I wouldn't think Piaggio would provide an API, or any easy way to get the info.
My app is able to 'monitor' the official app (the official app needs to be connected to the bike). I'm able to do this because their programmer did something stupid 😆🛵

By this stage I've actually learnt enough of the Bluetooth protocol that i might soon try directly establishing with the bike ...
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 pm quote
steelbytes wrote:
berto wrote:
My app is able to 'monitor' the official app (the official app needs to be connected to the bike). I'm able to do this because their programmer did something stupid 😆🛵

By this stage I've actually learnt enough of the Bluetooth protocol that i might soon try directly establishing with the bike ...
Nice work! I don't have a Supertech, but am generally interested in electronics and programming projects! Please post a link if you ever decide to share details on GitHub or anywhere else.
GTS 300
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:58 pm quote
Quote:
note: only tested with my supertech using km. need a tester for miles.
Good work!

Happy to test miles on mine (I don't have a Supertech but I have the PMP module installed on my GTS. It should work, right?)

Also, I'm a designer by trade, and if you want a hand to make the app look a bit less like something from 1986 let me know...
Enthusiast
Vespa Supertech
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:10 pm quote
Freddygang wrote:
Happy to test miles on mine (I don't have a Supertech but I have the PMP module installed on my GTS. It should work, right?)
don't know about the PMP yet ...

the dashboard (speedo, tacho, etc) should work with the following with a small amount of testing as they are all supported by the offical Vespa app:

Supertech 125/300
Elettrica
Primavera 125/150 Sport
Sprint 125/150 Sport

the speed limit currently will ONLY work with Supertech as the Vespa app only supports navigation on the ST. I may investigate adding my own mapping / navigation system based on something like google maps and then maybe able to add speed limit stuff for other bikes, but I doubt this will be too soon.
Freddygang wrote:
Also, I'm a designer by trade, and if you want a hand to make the app look a bit less like something from 1986 let me know...
I'm still rapidly changing the main dash, but have no idea for an icon yet ... ?
Enthusiast
Vespa Supertech
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:11 pm quote
I know no one else is using it, but I'm loving my app 😀🛵📱
Enthusiast
Vespa Supertech
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:14 pm quote
gauges cuter than the numbers for fuel/temp/volts?

Screenshot_20210119-101146.png

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 am quote
That looks like a great app. I will download it even if I can't use it with my older Vespa. To my knowledge anyway.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 am quote
Wow - Technology Marches On
Steelbytes,

Good on you. You must really know your stuff. I am in the insurance field.
The new safety technology (Back up cameras, movement in the lane indicators, side vehicle indicators, impact warning indicators) have reduced auto accidents.
I see this when new more expensive vehicles are cheaper to insure than the same vehicle several years older. The safety stuff is bring down the cost.

I must be a "Luddite". Everyone in my scooter riding group has GPS except me. Even as a ride leader, I do not have GPS. I study paper maps and memorize every turn. I do cheat and routinely have the rider in the second position with the turn by turn route on GPS.

Again - congrats on your valuable skill set.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
"Colder than a well diggers behind today in the Falls - darn Canadians are
sending down their frigid air.

IMG_0791.jpg
This is what a for real Luddite looks like.

Enthusiast
Vespa Supertech
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:08 pm quote
Re: Wow - Technology Marches On
Bob Copeland wrote:
I must be a "Luddite" ... I study paper maps and memorize every turn
I am also in the habit of doing this. I really only bought the Supertech as I wanted the 'top of the line' model and it sounded interesting.

initially the app didn't do multi waypoint in nav but it does now so it's sorta useful.

the inspiration was because I'd had too many speeding tickets recently and needed an audio beep in my bluetooth helmet when I going over limit
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1598s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0472s) ][ Debug on ]