@joe_register avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@joe_register avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Safety recall on my near new GTS? Possibility of a non-conformity in the nickel/zinc plating surface treatment on the brake hose terminal fittings.

Made in Italy part?
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
Re: In the mail today - Piaggio recall letter
joe register wrote:
Safety recall on my near new GTS? Possibility of a non-conformity in the nickel/zinc plating surface treatment on the brake hose terminal fittings.

Made in Italy part?
NHTSA link for the 2020 Piaggio Vespa GTS 300 HPE recall ... reduced braking ability ... recall started November 2019.

If you look into the NHTSA link details, there are 3 affected PTW in this recall:
PIAGGIO VESPA GTS 300 2019
PIAGGIO VESPA GTS 300 HPE 2020
PIAGGIO VESPA GTV 300 2019

If you want the details, about surface treatment, may want to ask your dealer when you take it in.
OP
@joe_register avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@joe_register avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Huh, why would they put recalled parts on a scooter made seven months after the recall?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
So when exactly do you think your scooter was made? And how did you determine that?
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
joe register wrote:
Huh, why would they put recalled parts on a scooter made seven months after the recall?
There are lots of reasons that could happen. It's not great that it did but without an actual born on date or a full understanding of the manufacturing process it's hard to nail the reason.

Recalls happen and usually (like this one) are not that big a deal and you can usually ride the bike/scoot and schedule a convenient time.

Hell my BMW K16600GT has a transmission recall and when I dropped it off for service recently the service manager just said to let him know when I will not be riding it for a few weeks. As it will be winter he said BMW Motorrad will come pick it up with a truck. My point is they happen and as long as the company and dealership stands behind it and treat you well then you can only complain about so much. PITA? Yeah but so are a lot of things.

FWIW I think the part is Spanish. I spent a couple of minutes using Google and found this.

I do think Piaggio does a good job with the Vespa line but stuff happens. I know some recall work done on my current Vespa but the dealer just did it during a service so I dod not pay much attention to it.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V826-9796.PDF

Also this.

https://thebrakereport.com/piaggio-recalls-some-vespa-2019-2020-models/
OP
@joe_register avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@joe_register avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
So when exactly do you think your scooter was made? And how did you determine that?
I think it was made in May or June 2020 based one something I saw on the scooter earlier. Perhaps a sticker?

Anyway I searched the recall number on the letter and it is different than what the other guy posted. Here is a link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V617-5335.PDF

And a snip:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@joe_register avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@joe_register avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Yeah, Spain. You were right.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@joe_register avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@joe_register avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
It is interesting that the 2019 and 2020 recalls are so similar. I wonder if there was a left over box of defective parts in the factory that sat there so long for Covid shutdown that they forgot they were defective and did it again when things restarted?

@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
UTC quote
On my LX150 There is a VIN data plate mounted above the ignition switch that has month and year of manufacture stamped on it.

Bill
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Cosmos wrote:
On my LX150 There is a VIN data plate mounted above the ignition switch that has month and year of manufacture stamped on it.

Bill
That's the bike assembly date - the manufacture date of the faulty part is unknown except to Piaggio themselves.
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
UTC quote
Good point.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

2021 Vespa 300 HPE Supertech

UTC quote
Anyone have this addressed? I received the same notice for my 2021 and am hoping it's a quick fix!

It sounds ominous....was hoping to get the first service done at the same time but have a couple hundred kms to go.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I had it done.

On the first attempt, the brakes came back softer than they were from the factory. I told my dealer, who rebled them. They configured the service machine to work on an Aprilia Shiver (also made by Piaggio), and tried again. That gave them more control over the brake pump, to get my lever feel nice and firm.
OP
@joe_register avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@joe_register avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
I had it done. Took about an hour and no noticible difference.

Still don't know why they used known defective parts though.
UTC

UTC quote
joe register wrote:

Yeah pretty scary to be honest. Mine was built late enough to be a 2021 model and it is still being recalled because of the issue.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
mixedup wrote:
joe register wrote:

Yeah pretty scary to be honest. Mine was built late enough to be a 2021 model and it is still being recalled because of the issue.
Here is the thing... many recalls are performed because the lawyers advised the company to do so. They do this based on statistics and potential loss of profit as a result of said statistical studies. In other words if replacing the part(s) is less expensive than the resulting law suits then they do it. I imagine using the "known defective parts" is good enough to correct the issue for most while protecting the companies interests. It's all very confusing but all you need do is look at what happened with the Ford Pinto which really is a tragedy. People died as at the cost of $11 per vehicle for the fix the company felt it was better to deal with the law suits involving injuries or deaths than perform the recall.
OP
@joe_register avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@joe_register avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
What is confusing is why a company would use a known defective part on a new scooter. It is not the replacement part (hopefully) that is defective. It was the new from factory part long after the issue was identified and a previous round of recalls performed.

That is dumb, sloppy, or careless.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
joe register wrote:
What is confusing is why a company would use a known defective part on a new scooter. It is not the replacement part (hopefully) that is defective. It was the new from factory part long after the issue was identified and a previous round of recalls performed.

That is dumb, sloppy, or careless.
Don't be surprised, it also happened to me with FIAT ...
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
i have the 2020 notte gps super hpe but i havent been contacted by anyone. wondering if im good? or should i contact my dealership?
@af1_racing avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@af1_racing avatar
UTC quote
Hummus2 wrote:
i have the 2020 notte gps super hpe but i havent been contacted by anyone. wondering if im good? or should i contact my dealership?
have your dealer run the VIN in the dealer system, all later GTS seem to need it.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km
UTC quote
Hummus2 wrote:
Enter your vin here

http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-piaggio_en.html
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1049s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0744s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]