2020 Vespa GTS 300 Master Key
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
2020 Vespa GTS 300
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:46 am quote
I searched the forum on this topic and learned that JimH is the expert on this topic. So I tried to get in touch with him - the website does not seem to work. I left a voicemail on the phone number I found, but haven't heard back and also sent him an email. I realize the recommendations of the forums date way back, so things change.
That said, I will have to explain my situation:

My husband had bought a brand new Piaggio Vespa GTS 300 2020 and cared for it like it was a baby. Shockingly, he died of a heart attack suddenly and unexpectedly at the beginning of the year. I finally got it together to sell the scooter, but was just contacted by the seller that the brown key is missing. I looked everywhere but my husband never told me about it and I just don't know where to find it. Then I searched the forum and learned about JimH.

Any solid recommendations on where I can clone the key and how concerned should I be about not having the master key?
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:15 am quote
Sorry to hear about your husbands sudden passing.

I don't think you can "clone" the master key if you don't have the original to make a clone from. You can make multiple clones of the blue key you already have. That way if they lose one, they have a backup. But selling without the master key, will probably affect the value a little. There are also companies that offer a service where they can reset the ECU and provide a new master key but it costs a little $$$ and you need to remove the ECU from the scooter and send it to them.

Your husband probably put the master key someplace "safe" so it wouldn't be lost. A safe deposit box, a fireproof box in your home, in a file with all the paperwork from the scooter, etc. I bet you'll stumble across it at some point.

Many locksmiths have the equipment to clone the blue key these days. Make a few calls to local locksmiths and they should be able to help you. Selling without the master key actually happens a lot. I bought an older ET4 without the master key and just made some clones of the blue key.

-Craig
Lurker
2020 Vespa GTS 300
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:33 am quote
Thanks so much for your informative response.

Yes, I will keep looking - it was brand new - so it has to be somewhere.
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring - Signora D'argento
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:25 am quote
Try taking a look where he kept the scooter, it could be in a toolbox or a workshop drawer. If he owned a motorcycle jacket, could it be in one of the pockets?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:03 am quote
My condolences as well. I agree, with a recent purchase it's not likely the key was lost. I bought a 5 year old scooter, seller insisted there was no master key, and a month later mailed it to me!

It's no big deal to get the key cloned...IMO selling without it isn't a big deal unless the buyer is trying hard to reduce the price. We're talking, guessing, about $50 to clone, including postage?

Good luck with your search. Not to discourage you, but I'm reminded of my losing my keys for months only to find them tucked away with a pair of gloves....
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 pm quote
if you have a key that works it can be cloned. having a master is not important

I do this myself on my bikes. and I am not a key shop.

I recommend scooter west. they can make copies of the key you have.

when you only have one key its a risk to send that one key off and the carrier looses it. then its a different more expensive situation. so if you can find someone local to do it you can avoid the worry of lost mail.

sorry for your loss.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1207s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0321s) ][ Debug on ]