Tis Is the Season for Deer Crashes
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:47 am quote
Here is what you should know:

Scan the sides of the road. Most crashes are caused by deer running into the road in front of the rider. Watch the ditches and tree lines for deer.

Slow down in wooded areas. In rural, wooded areas, it’s more likely you’ll see a deer. Slow down and watch out.

Pay attention to deer crossing signs. Signs are placed in areas with high numbers of reported incidents with deer. Although signs indicate stretches of road with crashes in the past, crashes could happen anywhere.

Where there’s one, there’s two. Or three or four. Deer travel in herds. If you see one deer, yield for more.

Don’t swerve to avoid hitting a deer. “If you’re going to hit it, just go ahead and hit it. Don’t swerve, because a lot of the times if you swerve, you end up in a ditch you could create a lot more injury for yourself that way or you may veer into oncoming traffic on a two-lane highway.

If you hit a deer, you will probably die. In case death gives a second chance, call 911 . To avoid subsequent crashes, pull over to the shoulder if you can. Stay out of the road and call for help.

20201113_114355.jpg

Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 am quote
^^ solid advice..

I try not to ride in wooded areas at dawn or dusk as a rule...
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:15 am quote
My History/Latin teacher in HS hit a deer while on a motorcycle vacation with his wife and their two kids. They were riding 2-up, he with his wife on one Harley, while his son drove the other with his (the teacher's) daughter on the back. They were JRA and a deer jumped out in front of them. It happened too quickly for my teacher to react, and he broadsided it, splitting it in two. He ended up breaking at least one leg (this happened in 1982, so I'm a little fuzzy on details), while his wife was unscathed. It happened during the summer, so he was able to start teaching in the fall, although he did have a limp and used a cane for years afterward.

Yes, deer live in herds. There's usually a herd of 13-16 on my step-mom's farm in Wisconsin.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:14 am quote
I'm having a hard time squaring "don't swerve to avoid a deer" and "if you hit a deer, you will probably die."
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:26 am quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I'm having a hard time squaring "don't swerve to avoid a deer" and "if you hit a deer, you will probably die."
Ha! Yeah I thought the same thing. Depending on speed and a few other variables you can survive if wearing proper gear. Oh it'll probably hurt but better to have a story to tell than not be able to tell the story.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:37 am quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Swerve, don't swerve, either way it's a flip of the coin. Overdoing a swerve can cause more damage than riding through a deer, is what I think the point is.

I came within a few feet of a deer once. It was dark, heading to work, just got up to speed on the interstate and suddenly found myself face to antler with a deer whose front feet were in my lane. I didn't have time to ponder which way it was moving (or if it was moving). And I tend to have good situational awareness so I knew there wasn't a car in the lane next to me. So I swerved, into the next lane left. At least I think I did....

That was the last time I commuted that year, and that was the last time I rode at highway speeds in the dark. I'm pretty sure I have some level of PTSD due to it; at least anxiety for sure.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:52 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
mayorofnow wrote:
Swerve, don't swerve, either way it's a flip of the coin. Overdoing a swerve can cause more damage than riding through a deer, is what I think the point is.

I came within a few feet of a deer once. It was dark, heading to work, just got up to speed on the interstate and suddenly found myself face to antler with a deer whose front feet were in my lane. I didn't have time to ponder which way it was moving (or if it was moving). And I tend to have good situational awareness so I knew there wasn't a car in the lane next to me. So I swerved, into the next lane left. At least I think I did....

That was the last time I commuted that year, and that was the last time I rode at highway speeds in the dark. I'm pretty sure I have some level of PTSD due to it; at least anxiety for sure.
Knowing that you're in the Madison area, and being familiar with where the Interstate goes by/through the area, I was picturing your experience in my mind, in detail (I was born in Madison, and went to HS in the Dells).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:10 pm quote
monogodo wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
mayorofnow wrote:

Knowing that you're in the Madison area, and being familiar with where the Interstate goes by/through the area, I was picturing your experience in my mind, in detail (I was born in Madison, and went to HS in the Dells).
Quarter mile south of the County HWY N exit onto southbound I-90, a dozen miles south of 12-18. So in the woods a bit.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:21 pm quote
Deers are an issue here too.

Those darn things are super fast.

Plenty of vids taken by motorcyclists, where a deer just jumps over the road - without the biker having even touched the breaks or done any steering movements yet.

We are blessed with moose too. According to accident statistics, a moose + a motorcycle is pretty much a certain death/severe injuries. A deer + a motorcycle the other way round, typically severe injuries that sometimes, still too often lead to death.

On deers - I saw one jumping over the hedge that is fencing our yard. Although I've seen a lot of deers running and jumping during my life, I would have never thought it can jump so high! Like it was on springs.
Ossessionato
Piaggio Fly 150
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm quote
Years ago I had a driving instructor who said to aim at the rear wheel of a crossing hazard. The hazard is moving across so he will be gone when when you get there. One evening near Annapolis I saw a deer about to cross left to right in front of me. When he committed to his run instead of swerving wildly I aimed at his rear legs, and sure enough I missed him. That lesson was 50 years in the past but popped up when I needed it. He wasn’t followed by his harem. When I got home my hand was shaking so badly I spilled the whiskey.

What I learned from this little lesson is let your wife pour that whiskey.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:07 pm quote
Meanwhile, In New Jersey...
We have deer. The last few years, lots of deer. I've had a few close low-speed encounters both at night and broad daylight.

When traversing the Garden State Parkway at night, besides the usual advice (visual vigilance, don't drive above the posted speed limit et cetera), one bit of advice particular to the Parkway is to avoid the Express lanes as deer supposedly congregate in the central wooded area. While I usually adhere to this advice (unless there's lots of traffic serving as "mine sweepers"), I tend to think very few deer actually survive the five-lane trip to that area. I'm actually more nervous about the local lanes adjacent to the far more-vast wooded area along my route on the Parkway.

Just as worrying is when I'm heading off the Parkway: For those who know the area, my usual exit is 105 South, then make my way to Rt 18 for four miles, then Exit 10A toward Asbury, with an extremely-short run on 66. It was right as I was leaving the exit and jumping onto 66 a few weeks back, at night, and discovered a dead doe in the center lane. Thankfully, traffic was fairly light, and I was able to veer toward the inside lane to avoid hitting it. (I was moving slow enough to likely stop in time, but stopping at night in the middle lane of a highway…nope, not doing it if I can avoid it.) This points out yet another reason not to follow too close behind cars or trucks: they might be able to roll right over something you can't, so you need enough time to try and avoid hitting that "something."
Tor2ga wrote:
Years ago I had a driving instructor who said to aim at the rear wheel of a crossing hazard. The hazard is moving across so he will be gone when when you get there. One evening near Annapolis I saw a deer about to cross left to right in front of me. When he committed to his run instead of swerving wildly I aimed at his rear legs, and sure enough I missed him. That lesson was 50 years in the past but popped up when I needed it. He wasn’t followed by his harem. When I got home my hand was shaking so badly I spilled the whiskey.

What I learned from this little lesson is let your wife pour that whiskey.
After my one serious close call with an adult deer two winters ago, I was nervous as hell, but just steady enough to make a cocktail once I got home…and pour one for Le Wife, who apparently needed one after I told my tale.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:17 pm quote
For those that don't know, deer commute every day too. During the day they sleep and hide where they can find cover. At night they are out in the fields eating, At dusk and dawn they are commuting same as you.

If you're travelllng in your own neighborhood you should know where they are coming from and going to. If you're out of your home range then your best best is to keep your eyes open and see them first. Smart they are not. They will wait until you get close and then run across the road to rejoin their group once you've lit up the path. Or just stand there looking stupid, Their hooves can't grip the pavement so they don't move well once startled. They either have to walk carefully or fly across.

The deer here own the place. We just pay the taxes for them.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:36 pm quote
At the bottom of the 8 mile washboard road to Fern Canyon, I saw this sign.

On my way out, I saw a few grazing on the side of the road. I pulled out my phone, snapped a photo, and continued on my ride. As I did, a 10' tall buck rose from the bush and struck the ultimate trophy pose, mere feet from the road.

Remembering the disposition of the fellow on the sign, I did not slow for a second photo.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 3.30.17 PM.png

PXL_20201016_231618670.MP (1).jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:40 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
At the bottom of the 8 mile washboard road to Fern Canyon, I saw this sign.

On my way out, I saw a few grazing on the side of the road. I pulled out my phone, snapped a photo, and continued on my ride. As I did, a 10' tall buck rose from the bush and struck the ultimate trophy pose, mere feet from the road.

Remembering the disposition of the fellow on the sign, I did not slow for a second photo.
We just have the occasional shooting here in the city. I think I'd rather take my chances with crossfire than critter. Mind you in the not too distant future when I leave her I will need to worry about it.
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:45 pm quote
Here in Italy you can find dogs and wild boars in the streets, even in herds. Driving at night are dicks ...
Harbinger wrote:
We just have the occasional shooting here in the city.
...sorry, what are you meaning for...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:58 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Here in Italy you can find dogs and wild boars in the streets, even in herds. Driving at night are dicks ...
Harbinger wrote:
Like Italy hasn't had it's share of shootings?
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:02 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Driving at night are dicks ...
We have more dicks than you have ..
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:59 pm quote
Nightlife in SF is mostly raccoons and coyotes.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:00 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Attila wrote:
Well, let's not start a...wait, where do I go with this? 😆
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:06 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Nightlife in SF is mostly raccoons and coyotes.
Why does that sound like slang for something and naughty? No cougars?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:42 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Therein lies the dillema. They usually jump away upon contact, I an guessing
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:01 pm quote
All crashes are dear.
2006 Fly 150
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:17 pm quote
My Buddy Won!

Premek.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:02 pm quote
Mikey007 wrote:
My Buddy Won!
Pff, if the deer I saw was that size I'd have kept riding straight.
It would have made a *slight* increase in the general road rubbish on my ride.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:47 pm quote
We just had a crash in our county this week. Motorcyclist riding just before midnight hit a deer on the highway, forcing him into the path of an oncoming truck. Not clear if he would have survived the deer impact, but sure as hell not the truck. I'd hate to be doing clean up on that one.

I still ride a bit at night, probably most often late in the season coming home from work. What I do is change my route to do as much city riding as possible, so the country ride is pretty short, and I'm vigilant like crazy until I hit my road. It does figure strongly (along with snow and cold temps) in hanging up my riding gear for the year.
Ossessionato
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:57 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Like Italy hasn't had it's share of shootings?
Oh yes, I myself am armed and two American pieces: a 44 Magnum (3 inch barrel) and a 12 gauge Winchester rifle but this only loaded with riot ammunition ... for thieves, understand me.
Sledge wrote:
Attila wrote:
Tch,tch...hehehehe..
Hooked
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:21 am quote
Even thou I grew up in Northern Wisconsin (deer country) all of my deer stuff happened in the 20 plus years I lived and rode in Europe---several close calls in France, 2 big ones in Germany (Heidelburg-Karlsruhe) Saw them coming--changed speed. 1990--Switzerland, Honda XBR500S, heavy BMW Golf Ball Schubert helmet----35 mph uphill---saw first deer, hit second---bike did not have much damage---front wheel/fender hit deer, ran over it, centerstand skinned it=scary....my neck still hurts and I stick to lighter weight helmets now. that offer better side view.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:48 pm quote
RRider wrote:
Deers are an issue here too.

Those darn things are super fast.

Plenty of vids taken by motorcyclists, where a deer just jumps over the road - without the biker having even touched the breaks or done any steering movements yet.

We are blessed with moose too. According to accident statistics, a moose + a motorcycle is pretty much a certain death/severe injuries. A deer + a motorcycle the other way round, typically severe injuries that sometimes, still too often lead to death.

On deers - I saw one jumping over the hedge that is fencing our yard. Although I've seen a lot of deers running and jumping during my life, I would have never thought it can jump so high! Like it was on springs.
Just thought to add - we have mostly white-tail deers here. The males can be quite big, up to 130kg (~287 lbs) while the female much less, even half or 1/3rd of that - so it makes a big difference which one you'll hit.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:31 pm quote
That's easily fixable.

Screenshot_20201114-163052_Chrome.jpg

Addicted
BV 350
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 am quote
Been there
Used to ride at dawn and dusk, saw many deer, had some close calls. Then one dusk, hit one. Fortunately it was a small deer, a big bike, and I hit it square on, so I didn't go down. Killed the deer, bruised me up where it flipped around the side of the bike, broke the front fender, the fairing, the radiator, and crushed the fan motor behind the radiator. Rode it home, got there before all the coolant leaked out, repaired it.

Darned things will jump RIGHT IN FRONT of you, then stop. Know numerous folks who have hit them in cars. All survived.

Also read of accident reports where people are killed going in the ditch trying to avoid hitting the deer.

Probably no right answer, whether to swerve or just hit it. Except I never ride at dawn or dusk any more.

Fortunately the deer overpopulation allowed some diseases to sweep through, killing off much of the excess. So I rarely see deer these days when out riding, either upright or dead on the side of the road.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:22 am quote
Re: Been there
Quote:
I never ride at dawn or dusk any more

Many years ago I used to love to ride at dusk unaware of the dangers. I have grown wiser and safer.
Ossessionato
Piaggio Fly 150
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:23 pm quote
Aim for their ass , it might be gone when you get there.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:45 am quote
Dodging The Deer In Minnesota
There is a great deal of similarity in the previously posted experience related
to deer moving just after dusk and into the night. As previously posted on this subject, my family, while at the cabin up North, would go out driving slowly at dusk to watch deer in the fields.

I have been fortunate to have successfully dodged deer up close as recent as this last riding season in Wisconsin.

This close call was out of pattern - occurred at mid day. A Minnesota Park Ranger explained the day time movement. Evidently, the female deer have trouble controlling their fawns during the day before they learn to limit movement during the day. The mother is always with the fawns - the reason
you see them in twos.

In this day near miss, I missed the fawn darting in front of me with the larger mother moving directly behind me. I was on a group ride and the rider behind me swerved to miss the larger female. Note, I did see the deer paralleling me in the drainage ditch on the right and slowed way down when
they suddenly crossed the road into us.

On extended multi day rides, my scooter group has eliminated riding out
on country roads at dusk.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls
Land of more Deer than Steers
Ossessionato
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 am quote
... what a place Minnesota!
Lots of lakes and lots of deer, and even cold from what they say ... brrrr!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am quote
Attila wrote:
Try going to places that have a large moose population.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/highway-fences-cut-moose-car-crashes-wildlife-expert-tells-court-in-lawsuit-1.1766100

image-2.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:32 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/highway-fences-cut-moose-car-crashes-wildlife-expert-tells-court-in-lawsuit-1.1766100
Right on a curvy! My scooter would have been pulverized.
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:46 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Can you eat them? We eat kangaroo...
https://www.sbs.com.au/food/ingredient/kangaroo
Ossessionato
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:55 am quote
Sledge wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Can you eat them? We eat kangaroo...
https://www.sbs.com.au/food/ingredient/kangaroo
Each country has its own customs, including culinary ones ...
Here there are those who eat frogs and snails (I tried but i don't like it ...)
Many years ago they took me to a Chinese restaurant and ...ouch!
No thanks, i remain on my simple and national tastes even if hitting a snail or a frog with the vehicle would do less damage than against a deer or a kangaroo.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:07 am quote
I've eaten horse and rabbit in Italy.
Ossessionato
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 am quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I've eaten horse and rabbit in Italy.
Me too, but the rabbit has too many small bones and "certified" horse meat for food use is difficult to find, I have a friend in Frosinone (60 km east of my city) who raises them for that use and also produces ham of horse.
There is a lot of wild boar and buffalo meat to eat in my area but you have to know how to cook it and not many people like it.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1936s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0354s) ][ Debug on ]