Omitting autolube and going premix
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Enthusiast
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 60
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:14 pm quote
Hey folks,

Any of you folks w oil injected vespas disconnect the autolube feature and simply premix your oil and fuel?

Iím breaking in my engine and would like to have a bit more oil in my gas rather than what the autolube mixes the gas at (assuming itís 2%).

I was thinking of simply removing the oil pump drive shaft and premix my gas manually and riding it.

Thoughts? Things to look out for?

Thank you.

N
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1258
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:26 pm quote
Re: Omitting autolube and going premix
Nelluch125 wrote:
Hey folks,

Any of you folks w oil injected vespas disconnect the autolube feature and simply premix your oil and fuel?

Iím breaking in my engine and would like to have a bit more oil in my gas rather than what the autolube mixes the gas at (assuming itís 2%).

I was thinking of simply removing the oil pump drive shaft and premix my gas manually and riding it.

Thoughts? Things to look out for?

Thank you.

Why not just pre mix your fuel with how much extra you want?
Enthusiast
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 60
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:29 pm quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Nelluch125 wrote:
Hey folks,

Any of you folks w oil injected vespas disconnect the autolube feature and simply premix your oil and fuel?

Iím breaking in my engine and would like to have a bit more oil in my gas rather than what the autolube mixes the gas at (assuming itís 2%).

I was thinking of simply removing the oil pump drive shaft and premix my gas manually and riding it.

Thoughts? Things to look out for?

Thank you.

Why not just pre mix your fuel with how much extra you want?
I could do that. Add an extra percent in for break in.
Iím thinking longevity though. Just omitting autolube all together.
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 1558
Location: UK (South East)
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:57 pm quote
What tuning spec do you have? I don't see the need to add extra oil unless perhaps you have built a beast. I've rebuilt several P/PX engines, in most cases with different cranks, alloy cylinder kits, porting, bigger/upjetted carbs etc. Apart from those with side draught carbs, I've always retained the autolube and have never added extra oil to the fuel, even for the break in. I've never questioned the autolube's ability to deliver and I've never had lubrication related issues
Enthusiast
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 60
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:51 am quote
swa45 wrote:
What tuning spec do you have? I don't see the need to add extra oil unless perhaps you have built a beast. I've rebuilt several P/PX engines, in most cases with different cranks, alloy cylinder kits, porting, bigger/upjetted carbs etc. Apart from those with side draught carbs, I've always retained the autolube and have never added extra oil to the fuel, even for the break in. I've never questioned the autolube's ability to deliver and I've never had lubrication related issues
Thank you for your response.

I rebuilt a px125e. Everything is new inside the cases. Added a dr 180 kit.

I figured I would add a bit more oil to make sure lubrication is at its optimal.

And again, Iím thinking long term. Omit the autolube and premix my gas for future use.
Just added
Enthusiast
Px125 2009
Joined: 31 May 2020
Posts: 62
Location: UK West Yorkshire
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:55 pm quote
Nelluch125 wrote:
swa45 wrote:
What tuning spec do you have? I don't see the need to add extra oil unless perhaps you have built a beast. I've rebuilt several P/PX engines, in most cases with different cranks, alloy cylinder kits, porting, bigger/upjetted carbs etc. Apart from those with side draught carbs, I've always retained the autolube and have never added extra oil to the fuel, even for the break in. I've never questioned the autolube's ability to deliver and I've never had lubrication related issues
Thank you for your response.

I rebuilt a px125e. Everything is new inside the cases. Added a dr 180 kit.

I figured I would add a bit more oil to make sure lubrication is at its optimal.

And again, Iím thinking long term. Omit the autolube and premix my gas for future use.
Just added
So the px125 autolube is geared upto a 150cc scooter.
One option is to fit the 200cc gearing autolube but that can be an exspense not needed.

My personal choice on my kitted scooters is to keep the autolube as is and add an extra 1% to the petrol this way you get the best of both worlds.
What I mean by that is when you come off the throttle either at speed or going down hill the petrol flow is cut off, which if you are going to add oil to the petrol only, this means no oil being sent to the crank, where as if you keep the auto lube then there will always be oil sent because its linked to the actual revs of the engine.
Enthusiast
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 60
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:11 am quote
Darren.H wrote:
Nelluch125 wrote:
swa45 wrote:
What tuning spec do you have? I don't see the need to add extra oil unless perhaps you have built a beast. I've rebuilt several P/PX engines, in most cases with different cranks, alloy cylinder kits, porting, bigger/upjetted carbs etc. Apart from those with side draught carbs, I've always retained the autolube and have never added extra oil to the fuel, even for the break in. I've never questioned the autolube's ability to deliver and I've never had lubrication related issues
Thank you for your response.

I rebuilt a px125e. Everything is new inside the cases. Added a dr 180 kit.

I figured I would add a bit more oil to make sure lubrication is at its optimal.

And again, Iím thinking long term. Omit the autolube and premix my gas for future use.
Just added
So the px125 autolube is geared upto a 150cc scooter.
One option is to fit the 200cc gearing autolube but that can be an exspense not needed.

My personal choice on my kitted scooters is to keep the autolube as is and add an extra 1% to the petrol this way you get the best of both worlds.
What I mean by that is when you come off the throttle either at speed or going down hill the petrol flow is cut off, which if you are going to add oil to the petrol only, this means no oil being sent to the crank, where as if you keep the auto lube then there will always be oil sent because its linked to the actual revs of the engine.
Thank you and everyone for your replies.
This is the option i am going to take.
like you said----best of both worlds.

I will tackle this in the spring since winter is upon us here in Ontario, Canada.
Cheers.
Addicted
Stella 2T, P200, Rally 180 Euro
Joined: 06 Jan 2014
Posts: 578
Location: Camden, ME
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:13 am quote
More oil doesnít mean better protection, since you are removing fuel which leans your AF ratio. For such a basic cylinder just keep stock injection and donít worry about it. Iíve built some big engines and never added extra oil as itís more of a danger.
Enthusiast
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 60
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 am quote
keaton85 wrote:
More oil doesnít mean better protection, since you are removing fuel which leans your AF ratio. For such a basic cylinder just keep stock injection and donít worry about it. Iíve built some big engines and never added extra oil as itís more of a danger.
Noted. So much information. So many great points.
Iíll just ride it till it blows up. Lol.
Hooked
2005 et4
Joined: 23 May 2015
Posts: 465
Location: oshawa ontario canada
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:15 pm quote
The first notice you'll get when your autolube starts to fail is when the bike seizes up.

I went to premixing my own and that will ever happen.
Enthusiast
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 60
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 pm quote
duane1 wrote:
The first notice you'll get when your autolube starts to fail is when the bike seizes up.

I went to premixing my own and that will ever happen.
Yes. And thatís what I would like to avoid.
What did you do to make the switch? Take out the drive shaft from the under the carb box?
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1258
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:24 pm quote
The autolube system can't forget to add oil when you fill up. There are pro's and cons to both.
Hooked
2005 et4
Joined: 23 May 2015
Posts: 465
Location: oshawa ontario canada
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 pm quote
Forgetting to add oil is almost an impossibility.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1258
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 pm quote
duane1 wrote:
Forgetting to add oil is almost an impossibility.
My P200 is premix, its the only one of the four motorcycles I own. One day I'm going to fill up and ride away, just like my other three.
Enthusiast
Px125 2009
Joined: 31 May 2020
Posts: 62
Location: UK West Yorkshire
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm quote
Nelluch125 wrote:
duane1 wrote:
The first notice you'll get when your autolube starts to fail is when the bike seizes up.

I went to premixing my own and that will ever happen.
Yes. And thatís what I would like to avoid.
What did you do to make the switch? Take out the drive shaft from the under the carb box?
all you need do is pull the drive shaft, and also its best to remove the cog within the oil pump itself to stop the throttle jamming, then blank off the hole in the casing left behind by the drive shaft, Sip sell a plug, blank off the 2t oil pipe to stop air being drawn in too
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 1558
Location: UK (South East)
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 pm quote
duane1 wrote:
The first notice you'll get when your autolube starts to fail is when the bike seizes up.

I went to premixing my own and that will ever happen.
I wonder how many people have had actual autolube failure? I'm not saying it's impossible, but think of the number of P and PX scooters that have been plying their trade around the world since the late '70s, not to mention the US spec oldies that also have autolube. If we were talking about an electric or electronic system, maybe so, but this is a primitive mechanical setup. I'd say there's an extremely slim chance of it ever failing, especially if basic maintenance/cleaning is carried out on a regular basis.
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 419
Location: UK - 3rd Rock From the Sun
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:21 am quote
There has been probably one go through my garage that had a worn and chipped / cracked worm drive setup... very high mileage motor and not the most "regular" of oil checks in the gearbox to make sure it splash fed the lube to it
swa45 wrote:
duane1 wrote:
The first notice you'll get when your autolube starts to fail is when the bike seizes up.

I went to premixing my own and that will ever happen.
I wonder how many people have had actual autolube failure? I'm not saying it's impossible, but think of the number of P and PX scooters that have been plying their trade around the world since the late '70s, not to mention the US spec oldies that also have autolube. If we were talking about an electric or electronic system, maybe so, but this is a primitive mechanical setup. I'd say there's an extremely slim chance of it ever failing, especially if basic maintenance/cleaning is carried out on a regular basis.
Enthusiast
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 57

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:34 am quote
I think failure pretty rare. The vespa design a good one. Fully mechanical. Ive heard of maybe one around here over many years. Also figure in all the lmls etc.

Always jealous of those with it. Because its rpm, not throttle, you always get the oil the engine needs. Top of a big hill, engine hot and down the other side and dont need to fang it to maintain the same speed. The engine is still getting the right oil. On mine, not so much, and getting less oil with less throttle on the premix. Can be disconcerting when you check the temps.

Iíd leave it alone and premix 1% if you think that is needed.
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 2504
Location: London UK
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am quote
Luddites
Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 2342
Location: Staten Island, NY
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:03 pm quote
Jack221 wrote:
Luddites
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2732s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0338s) ][ Debug on ]