Got a key clone and it stopped working!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Vespa ET2, MP3 250ie
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:58 pm quote
Bought a 2008 250cc mp3 a couple weeks ago that didn't come with a master key. I ordered the key clone form AF1, but don't want to send away my only key, so I figured I'd bite the bullet and find a local locksmith to clone a key so I'd have one during the time my original was away. In NYC I have some options, as they say: If you can't find it in NY it doesn't exist.

I did find a reputable locksmith, they made me a key using an ilco honda key. It worked first try, and then again. The 3rd time the bike would not start but I turned it on and off and there we go, started right up (I do need to replace my regulator so I didn't immediately think it was the key that was the issue). I started it two more times, but finally it stopped working permanently when I killed the engine at a red light and tried to start it back up. The spare key actually stranded me! I'd already secured by oem key at home, I was planning to leave the original at home since my boot cable assembly is broken anyway and the button on the OEM key doesn't do anything.

I'm going to call the locksmith back tomorrow and hopefully get the key re-coded and figure out what's wrong, but wanted to post here in case anyone had any relevant experiences.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:13 am quote
I have a chinese programmer for those chips, and there's nothing in them that can fail with time, except a bad chip or wrong positioning of the chip inside the key. Try to pull the key, turn 180 degrees and insert again. Sometimes the chip will be easier to read in another position.
Enthusiast
2013 MP3 300ie
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:19 pm quote
If it worked a few times already there's probably nothing wrong with the key itself. Like Jah said "there's nothing in them that can fail with time".

My bet is that either the transponder in the new key is less sensitive than the one in the OEM key - and/or there's a problem with the immobilizer antenna around the lock - a slightly corroded connector might emphasize a difference in sensitivity of the transponders in both keys for example.

Does the OEM key work flawlessly?

(exept for the seat opener button, which probably belongs to a completely different part of the circuit in the key, since key transponders tend to be passive)
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1382s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0301s) ][ Debug on ]