Rust vespa GTS
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
VESPA GTS 300 SUPER SPORT
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 am quote
hi - rust to the underside of the Vespa GTS is a well known problem - my local dealers tell me that Vespa have improved their paintwork and plating in the last few years - I can find no evidence for this.
does anyone know if this problem has been fixed - or not?
Thanks
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 am quote
Re: Rust vespa GTS
Inverno wrote:
hi - rust to the underside of the Vespa GTS is a well known problem - my local dealers tell me that Vespa have improved their paintwork and plating in the last few years - I can find no evidence for this.
does anyone know if this problem has been fixed - or not?
Thanks
Welcome to the site.

Rust is not and never has been a big issue with Vespas. It's only a problem on bikes usually owned by folks who don't look after them by cleaning and touching up stone chips, either under the bike or on the bodywork. The battery compartment should also be inspected for rust now and again and folks don't do that.

Later bikes use an electrophoretic primer applied electrostatically just the same as cars. This gets into every seam and crevice on the bike preventing rust. So for example if there is a stone chip under the bike it won't immediately rust because the galvanic action will prevent that from happening. However, if you don't eventually clean and paint the stone chip, it will rust. It's a metal scooter, metal rusts whether it's a car or bike. Whether your Vespa rusts or not is entirely in your hands. I rust proofed my 2016 bike but it probably didn't need to be done because of the primer which works very well giving you time to touch it up before it rusts.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 am quote
What year is your bike?
Lurker
VESPA GTS 300 SUPER SPORT
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 pm quote
Thanks, It's 2015. 12000 miles. Well cared for but never thought I'd need to put on a hoist to touch up stone chips after every ride.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:41 pm quote
Inverno wrote:
Thanks, It's 2015. 12000 miles. Well cared for but never thought I'd need to put on a hoist to touch up stone chips after every ride.
Inverno (winter) brings on the rust.
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 pm quote
sounds like you live in a area where there is more small gravel than usual. have you considered a front fender extension?
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:42 pm quote
Steve Williams had his fixed at a Body Shop when his showed signs of rust.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm quote
When I was in the UK I fitted clear plastic protective covers to the vulnerable front parts:
https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/paint_protection/paintsaver_clear/

This saved me having any rust problems on the main frame, even when used on London salted roads and not washed afterwards for months.
Hooked
2016 GTS 300
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 pm quote
Has anyone tried one of the spray-on peel-off rubber or plastic coatings?
You'd have to clean the surface well before spraying, to make sure no water got in underneath and caused rust.
I can't see how to include a picture of the product, but here is a link to one that is available here in NZ:
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/dw/image/v2/BBRV_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-srg-internal-master-catalog/default/dwf757eb37/images/384116/SCA_384116_hi-res.jpg?sw=1000&sh=1000&sm=fit
Hooked
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 am quote
I beg to differ....caveat emptor.
Sorry Stormrider but I beg to differ and cite as evidence the Scootering press and a multitude of owners (including myself) who look after their machines, being pampered and garaged but still suffer this problem.

As stated before, it is of no use to electrophoretically apply paint or undercoat if the frame has rust on it already and has not been galvanized etc.. It just means the electrical charge between paint and frame allows for better coverage of the paint. The bare frame remains the problem. The last link is a Vespa dealership in the UK ACF 50 treating a GTS after stripping the plastics off. Why would they need to do this if it were not a well known problem?
Let the buyer beware, get it checked inside the frame and get it rust treated OR walk away!

I cite these sources from the press, dealers and owners....

https://scooterlab.uk/vespa-gts-buyers-guide-feature/

https://www.markpowlett.co.uk/myblog/read_189685/vespa-rust-problems-and-customer-service-issues.html

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154500479020399&_rdr

Ride safe anyhoo fella. I am just disagreeing with you.
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 am quote
Welcome...
How will you imagine there is the problem of rust on the parts most exposed to humidity, salt and stones that peel the protective paint; also the heat of the engine which over time detaches the paint
First the muffler is damaged, including the exhaust manifold.
Then the metal parts in iron and finally the aluminum.
I have had many scooters of many brands and on all of them there was this problem, so ... with patience at the end of each winter season you check where you need to do maintenance.
To see well, you can use the phone in video mode and take a shot of the parts below or get a video probe for mechanics (on Amazon there are low prices).
Preventively, with a new vehicle, you can use protective substances (spray grease or special products), I use silicone spray.
Unfortunately the muffler needs to be repainted periodically or when it starts to rust, it would be better to have it powder coated but I don't know if it resists the heat.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2332s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0512s) ][ Debug on ]