ET4 Rear Flat - How to get on center stand
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
ET4
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 pm quote
Hello all. Either my stand is broken or I have a flat rear tire. Either way, when I press on the center stand pedal it goes right to the floor and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the bike up. Any thoughts on how to do this? I don't have a tire gauge handy and it's actually difficult to tell if it's flat just by looking. Thanks!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:25 pm quote
It's the stand. A flat would prevent the pedal going down even as far as it normally does before you had to apply real weight to it.

You can get it welded up, or perhaps better, just buy a new one or source one from a breakers.
Lurker
ET4
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 pm quote
Thanks! I suspected it was the stand at first, but it just seemed very weird. I guess after 15+ years it was going to break at some point. Sadly I don't have the equipment to DIY-it, so into the shop it'll go.

Unless someone thinks it's a good idea to install the side-stand I've seen advertised on some of the scooter web shop. They make it sound easy to install, I just don't see it as being very stable.

I welcome further thoughts.
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:45 pm quote
Greetings:

I installed the stock Piaggio side-stand on my own ET4, and I'm very happy with it. The Buzzetti chrome side stand on my S50 is not in the same league of stability and quality. Neither pose a clearance problem on sharp L banking as I have heard is an issue with the 300s. Stands are easy to remove, but the springs are um... Challenging.
Lurker
ET4
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:23 am quote
Thanks Wheelman! Great review of the side-stand. Poking around on the web also led me to conclude that a replacement of the existing stand is possible, but that those springs are a challenge. In Manhattan I simply don't have the space to work, or really the time. The side stand may be the best option for now.

Thanks again.
Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 pm quote
Be very careful of a side stand. These scoots have no park or neutral if the engine is running and the RPM's are high enough on the engine it can drive itself off. Use it with caution and don't trust it.
Lurker
ET4
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:51 pm quote
Thanks for the reminder, Pinkscooter. It has occurred to me that, unlike the center stand, the rear wheel is not off the ground. No doubt i will learn that lesson in real time someday, but i appreciate the notice. There aren't many places nearby to got the center stand replaced; the nearest one in Brooklyn involves a $60+ Uber ride there and back!
Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 am quote
It's not the hardest job to do but is easier with a lift and a jack to support the scooter when the center stand is off. Some pictures of you problem might help is come up with a quick fix.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 pm quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
It's not the hardest job to do but is easier with a lift and a jack to support the scooter when the center stand is off. Some pictures of you problem might help is come up with a quick fix.
Always worry about my bleedy knuckles with those spring pullers.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:29 pm quote
You can lay the scooter on its side - you might have to swap sides occasionally to get the stand off.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2444s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0401s) ][ Debug on ]