How to drain old gas out of GTV 300
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
2017 GTV 300ie
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 am quote
I have year old gas in my 2017 GTV 300ie. I have tried to siphon gas out of the tank but because of the way the tank curves I cannot but get a small amount of the 2 gallons out of the tank.

Is there a place to disconnect the gas line that goes into the carburetor to drain the tank? If so I need a picture of what line to disconnect.

Otherwise, what is the best way to drain the gas tank?

Thank you for your help.

Jim
Sacramento, Ca.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:29 pm quote
There's no carburetor, you have fuel injection!

You can disconnect the fuel line from the injector - but this can be tricky as they break very easily.

You should be able to siphon the tank near to empty - you just need some flexible hose to get around the corner and down into the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump lives.
GT125
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:50 pm quote
I drained my tank to fit a new fuel tap. Pulled off the outlet and applied a vacuum to the tap using a small syringe. Just need a couple of pieces of tubing to do this.
Lurker
2017 GTV 300ie
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:11 pm quote
Rusty- Where is the fuel tap that you accessed? Once you access do you just put some suction on it? Explain a little more how you did it please.
GT125
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:15 am quote
Hi Jim, I'm new to scooters and don't know the models other than my own. It's giving problems so I'm learning a lot. On my 125, the fuel tap is behind the r/h pull off panel. It pushes into the bottom of the tank. There are 2 pipes attached. One is the feed to the fuel pump and the other is a vacuum pipe that turns on the petrol when the engine starts. I disconnected both pipes and put on a couple of my own. I sucked the vacuum line to test the tap but then replaced myself with a syringe as the tank was full and I suspected I might have water in it. I drained the tank then put scooter on side stand so that any residual fuel ran to the opposite side so I could replace the tap (even though I tested it) I'm sure your bike will have a similar set up. The diaphragm taps are on all but the oldest of my motorbikes. Hope this helps.JR
Addicted
BV 350
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:28 am quote
I second
I second the idea of getting some flexible tubing and snaking the end down to the lowest point in the tank. Messing with valves, tubing, and fuel injection connections just invites the "I kept fixing it until it was broken" scenario.

Should be able to siphon all but the last few tablespoons of fuel out. Fill with fresh high quality gas with some fuel system cleaner in it (Sta-bil or Seafoam are popular, among others) to dilute what remains, and you should be good to go. If the bike is being prepared for storage, run the engine for a while to get the clean fuel into the rest of the system.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2509s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0290s) ][ Debug on ]