Zip Tie Tire Replacement Method ?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Vespa LX50
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:15 pm quote
I have been searching on the web for any info if this method can be used on a scooter tire. If anyone here has done it for a Vespa tire I would like to know.

If you are not familiar with it you can search for motorcycle tire zip tie method or leave that off. It works great! I used this method to replace my motorcycle tires a few years back but I am not sure if it will work with a smaller diameter scooter tire.

Basically you buy a few dollars worth of big zip ties and put them around the new tire that is going on the rim. You tighten them tight! It brings the two beads together and you can then use your body weight to get the tire on the wheel. Then you cut the ties and pull them out. Here is a pic of my rear wheel right after I popped it on the wheel.

The best thing about it, well besides not paying someone for the work, is that you do not scratch your wheels doing it because no tire irons are employed but I don't know if it will work on a smaller diameter tire! What have you got?

P10304741.jpg

Addicted
GTS250
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:12 am quote
May have to try that next time see if it makes it any easier...too late on the scratched up part though.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:40 am quote
If my wife ever caught me with tires and wheels on carpet, scratched rims would be the least of my concerns!
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:52 am quote
Clearly, we all need to take ourselves and our tires to Kevin T's living room in Honolulu for safe, scratch-free DIY tire changes. It's the only way.
Molto Verboso
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 am quote
boraxman wrote:
May have to try that next time see if it makes it any easier...too late on the scratched up part though.
Same happened to me as well, having both my front and rear tyres changed- just wish I could change the tyre myself, but I haven't got the room, or kit to do it!
I'm intrigued by this method though....

Graham
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:33 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
If my wife ever caught me with tires and wheels on carpet, scratched rims would be the least of my concerns!
Darned COVID! I mean, otherwise, it's say, "maybe you want for lunch with your friends today, it's been sooo long!"

Just so you don't have to come up with a good story about how that greasy smudge got there...

BTW, I'm paying attention to the topic because I think that's the direction I'm heading. Having a bit of practice on my snow blower's tire at the moment. Nice thing is scratching the rims is the least of my concern... Was kind of displeased with the less-than-stellar service I'd gotten on my last tire replacement.....
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:55 am quote
The only thing against this method is that it produces more throw-away plastic - unless you can find re-usable zip-ties that big.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:58 am quote
jimc wrote:
The only thing against this method is that it produces more throw-away plastic - unless you can find re-usable zip-ties that big.
Yes, crossed my mind too. OTOH, what I've done in the past is put my wheel in the car, driven 5 miles to the shop, waited a few days until it's done, then drove back to pick it up. How does one balance a few ounces of plastic with 20 miles of driving? I mean of course you can do it without zip ties... it's tricky, but I've had good luck with releasing a lot of them.....
Vespa LX50
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Not to fear that wheel was as clean as if it were new.....and, she was at work!
Vespa LX50
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:58 am quote
louswheel wrote:
..."I'm intrigued by this method though...."...
It works so well on motorcycle tires, but!..... I don't know if it works on smaller diameter tires! I have a new set of tires sitting here and want them on my scooter
Vespa LX50
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:03 pm quote
PSA

It does not work!

I am sure there is some math involved but my gut reaction is that on a MC rim the larger diameter and wider tire offers more relief to work with once you get half of it on! Bummer, I just spent a couple hours trying only to end up using spoons and elbow grease getting the front on. Oh well, on to the rear!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:58 pm quote
Well, thanks for taking one for the team. What I think I recall is that the smaller tire is stiffer and more challenging to work with. At least that's what's in my head anyway.

Glad you got one done anyway.
Vespa LX50
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:31 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Well, thanks for taking one for the team. What I think I recall is that the smaller tire is stiffer and more challenging to work with. At least that's what's in my head anyway.

Glad you got one done anyway.
Oh I finished them both and changed the hub oil while I was there too.

So the thread is not a total waste. I used my press to break the bead on the tires and it was easy. I wasn't sure what to expect but it just gave away naturally with no drama! Move to next position and again and she's off.

One picture of how far I got trying the zip tie method.

Cheers and Aloha!

P10700043.jpg

P10700191.jpg

Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 pm quote
My success rate on installing tires is about 60% but the frustration rate is 100% so I decided that is something I'll pay a motorcycle shop to do. I also tried the Harbor Freight small tire changer, and it isn't very good.

However, for removal, a $20 Harbor Freight electric oscillating saw and a decent Bosch bimetal blade will cut old tires off of rims in 30 hassle-free seconds. Sometimes, shops will pop a new tire onto a bare rim while you wait. And saw is useful for a lot of stuff beyond scooters too.

Edit: $20, not $200! Sheesh.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:13 pm quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
My success rate on installing tires is about 60% but the frustration rate is 100% so I decided that is something I'll pay a motorcycle shop to do. I also tried the Harbor Freight small tire changer, and it isn't very good.

However, for removal, a $20 Harbor Freight electric oscillating saw and a decent Bosch bimetal blade will cut old tires off of rims in 30 hassle-free seconds.
Great tip. Heck, I already own the saw! And there's nothing like Full Destructo Mode when you're frustrated!
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm quote
Harbor freight changer to break the bead and some quality tire irons and rim protectors have gotten me along all these years.

Armstrong tire service, available 24/7-365

All kidding aside, itís about style and feel. Also, much like life: lube, pressure and angle of attack.

Itís actually straight forward once youíve done a few and get your mojo working.

-g
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2137s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0348s) ][ Debug on ]