Uk modified insurance on cbt
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
ET4,125
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 am quote
Hi all, I've not been on here for some years, as my scoot has been off the road and cbt ran out but I'm looking to rectify that in the next few months.

When I was insured previously I was told I couldn't modify the scoot, so I was wondering if any of you guys can advise on if this is the case with all companies regarding cbt riders or was I just with a rubbish company?

As I work through getting it back on the road I imagine I'm going to have to renew a few bits and I prefer to upgrade rather than replace with oem.

Good to see the forum is still active.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:44 am quote
Scoot Insurance
Littlechris,

I know that insurance in the UK is different. On this side of the pond, if you significantly increase the value of your scoot you just add extra
accessories coverage. Actual very inexpensive and you automatically get so
much with the policy.

It is hard to believe that an insurance company could dictate whether someone can change their vehicle.

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
"We don't need a stinking company telling us what to do!"
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:52 am quote
It depends what you upgrade and if that changes its registered status. For example, putting a cylinder kit on it would need it to be re-registered accordingly and you would need the appropriate license to ride greater than 125cc etc. What are you planning to upgrade?
Enthusiast
ET4,125
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:37 am quote
Ben, thanks for the reply, I believe the situation is quite different regarding insurance. It is a requirement to have insurance on any vehicle you use on the road and all modifications have to be declared to the insurer.
Most insurers class a modified vehicle user as a higher risk, so they increase the premium or decide they don't want to insure the vehicle.
Enthusiast
ET4,125
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:44 am quote
Johnymoore thanks for reply, I don't want to go outside the restrictions of the cbt, so no capacity increase and keep hp and p/weight in the correct ballpark.

I want to do some custom metalwork, seat, exhaust, variator, clutch, possibly carb and headwork...

I'm just wanting to go with a cbt again for the quick and easy route of getting back on it, I'm not sure I can be bothered with doing the whole theory and practical test again.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:39 am quote
The insurers are only interested in modifications that affect performance.

Better not to spend your money, but save up for the full A test.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1400s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0244s) ][ Debug on ]