2020 MP3 300 Squeak when pulling away , Advice please!!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 300Hpe 2020
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:29 am quote
Hello everyone I am new to the world of piaggio MP3, my first ever Italian scooter/ trike , What can I say itís an absolute blast to ride, and I was surprised how much like a 2 wheeler it feels to ride .
I would just like to ask some advice please if a may?
I bought it brand new in July this year from a local dealer , it has covered 850 miles now and went in for its 600mi interim service , not long after that I started to notice a little squeak when I pulled away , not every time but I got progressively worse as time went on , so naturally I returned it to the dealer who had it for a couple of days and informed me that there was dirt ingress in the drive belt pulley and they cleaned it out and the squeak has stopped after an extensive test ride.
So I picked it up and went for a ride the next day , all felt fine , but low and behold 30 miles later the drive belt squeak is back...( like before only on acceleration)
Iím I bit miffed really, is the dealer spinning me a yarn , surely you can ride these all year round and not have to worry about getting dirt ingress on the drive belt through the case breathers.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mp3 Yourban 300 i.e
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 am quote
From what I've read this noise could came from the clutch bell which some times get dirty from ferodo deposits and you can hear this squeaky noise.
At traffic lights try to start fast and see if it happens again...
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 300Hpe 2020
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am quote
Ontheroad 65 wrote:
From what I've read this noise could came from the clutch bell which some times get dirty from ferodo deposits and you can hear this squeaky noise.
At traffic lights try to start fast and see if it happens again...
That is exactly when it happens on acceleration from a stand still , once you are up and running it is fine , thanks for the advice Ontheroad 65
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 300Hpe 2020
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am quote
Is it something to be concerned with, should a brand new bike be making noises like this, or should I be poking back into the dealers again to sort out!!!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:41 am quote
It's a glazed clutch drum and pads. Often times the glazed clutch drum is caused by being too cautious on take-off. It's not that bad in and of itself, but it's indicative of something slightly wrong and should be treated. If it bothers you, you can do two things:

1) Deglaze the clutch yourself. Sometimes it works to rev the engine with the brake on and make the clutch smoke a bit (30 seconds only). But the best way is to remove it and hit the pads and the drum surfaces with 600-grit sandpaper, leaving a light cross-hatch. This will allow the surfaces to slide by each other without rapidly "grabbing" and releasing, which is the sound you hear.
2) Then prevent it occurring again by making it a point to accelerate more rapidly, then back off when you're up to speed. This is the best way to help the clutch from wearing out as fast, too. Slow acceleration puts a lot of stress on the clutch since it remains partially engaged for long periods, leading to glazing (which is essentially polishing itself) and increased wear. You want to avoid making the clutch polish itself- think of polishing your silverware- you want to avoid long periods of light pressure. Short periods of heavy pressure is better.

I doubt the dealer did more than just hit the variator with a shot of air. Which, rather than removing the offending dust from the clutch, actually blew a little dust between the clutch pads and the surface. That dust kept the clutch from grabbing for a few miles until it wore away and the polished surfaces could fully contact each other, but it didn't do anything about the glaze. He really needed to deglaze the clutch, which requires its removal to do correctly.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1380s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0297s) ][ Debug on ]