Need Help Melbourne , Piaggio MP3 Riders
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
MP3 400CC 2009 PIAGGIO
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:49 am quote

I bought a PIAGGIO MP3 400 in October it had a Car number plate The seller said VicRoads - Leongatha gave him a hard time. I booked it in for a major service and a RWC INSPECTION up at Peter Stevens Dandenong the guys saw the number plate said that's odd , We have never seen a Car number plate on a scooter before I told them its a country VicRoads which has made a mistake. I will fix it and let you know when ive done it . So i went to VicRoads - Leongatha to transfer reg its a motor vehicle not a scooter so i payed the Transfer fee $40.70 .. I told Peter Stevens Dandenong , Piaggio australia the guys at MotoHeaven & a seller on Bikesales selling his MP3 .. they all said your Country Vic roads has got it wrong

PIAGGIO AUSTRALIA SAID If you look at the compliance plate it will say LC – This designates it as a motorcycle category and as complied.

You can show Vic roads the attached RVD form for this model which also shows LC category. If the vehicle’s ADR category is ‘LC’ and if the vehicle has an automatic transmission and a step through construction, it will assign the vehicle as a scooter.

So i went into Carlton Vic roads at first it was looking good then it all went to dust they said its a Motor Vehicle not a scooter its now under investigation ive been waiting 2 weeks

mi bike.jpg

RVD Mp3(1).pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RVD Mp3(1).pdf
 Filesize:  19.7 KB

Lurker
2009 Gilera Fuoco mp3
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 pm quote
Hi, I ride a 2009 Gilera Fuoco 500 MP3 - This is registered with Vic Roads as a Motor cycle - used Geelong office (I am in Torquay)

was a transfer rego from NSW but I needed a purchase certificate, full RWC and bike was fully inspected and VIN's checked

Have attached my vic roads data which shows classification and may assist you
2019 MP3 500 Sport
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:51 pm quote
This is interesting. I got stopped by a HP officer here in California today, and he clearly tried to see if I had a motorcycle license (which I do). His first question was "Do you have an endorsement to ride a motorcycle?" and I said "I do, but I thought you can ride this with just a car license in California?" to which he curtly replied "Registration, insurance and license.". He was satisfied after the usual delay which they clearly do to see if you break down in a sweat and confess to hiding a kilo of heroin in your a##. Made me wonder if the whole "You can ride this with a car license" is obsolete, even though I could not care less because I have had a motorcycle license since the Cretacean period or something...
Lurker
MP3 400CC 2009 PIAGGIO
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:48 pm quote
Ferdinand wrote:
Hi, I ride a 2009 Gilera Fuoco 500 MP3 - This is registered with Vic Roads as a Motor cycle - used Geelong office (I am in Torquay)

was a transfer rego from NSW but I needed a purchase certificate, full RWC and bike was fully inspected and VIN's checked

Have attached my vic roads data which shows classification and may assist you
Just been on the phone to Vic roads for a good hour Told them about RVD3 info ADR LC which says its a scooter , Told Vic roads about Piaggio Australia have sent this in an e mail ..

Vic roads said show Piaggio e mail and proof it comes under the LC Category , it will be fixed I just went to my local Vic roads in country Victoria in Leongatha ..NO ITS A MOTOR TRIKE ...FFS

Going to Dandenong vic roads in the morning to get to the bottom of this got all paper work and reference number from Vic roads call centre

NUMBER MP3.jpg

Lurker
MP3 400CC 2009 PIAGGIO
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:35 pm quote
Hey folks just a little update on MP3 SCOOTER

All done its a registered scooter not registered as a motor vehicle anymore Dandenong vic roads was very understanding with my case , My local country Vicroads are a team of country bumpkins

Very happy with the outcome
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:44 pm quote
I hope you got a nice small mc plate.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:57 pm quote
Maybe this info might help shed some light on the subject.

Here in Europe when the MP3 was first released in the latter half of the last decade, the MP3 could only be ridden with a full up motorcycle license.

Why? Because the wheel track was not wide enough to fall into the European L5e classification. I believe Piaggio refers to these 1st gen bikes as RT (regular track?) models.

When the 2nd gen and the current 3rd gen came around they widened the track to 46cm something which landed the bike in the L5e classification bin and thus could then be ridden with nothing more than a standard car license. I believe these bikes are referred to as LT (large track?) Note: this "can be driven on a car license" bit has a small caveat. You must have obtained your full class B car license before mid Jan 2013 if memory serves me right.

Each country varies slightly but the overall theme is the same. Here in Belgium, by having the MP3 I qualified to get a full up class A license without taking a course, exam, fees, etc since I found a loophole in the law that stated if the vehicle was going to be used outside the country a class A license "can be provided". Well, after some haggling and dealing with bureaucracy I got the full up class A license.

It is this legislation re. track width that keeps the Yamaha Niken from qualifying to be ridden without a full up motorcycle license.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1517s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0422s) ][ Debug on ]