Agony and Ecstasy
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
MP3 250 & T Max
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:51 pm quote
Putting off the inevitable after the Gonzo tweak having run its course, I bit the bullet and decided to tackle the steering bearing replacement. The pictures posted by 'Reticulum' were of considerable help-and comfort- to see what another brother had got himself into. It is no mean feat!
Several days later-at my age three hours effort per day is enough energy output- the new Timkin 3208 bearings were in place and all sixteen new copper washers fitted to the hydraulic unions.

Yesterday was our first run. In company with my two wheel companions, who just love the very windy country roads around West Auckland. What a difference. The handling was SO precise-I had forgotten just how well this wee bike/trike could corner. Ecstasy!

Expenditure: Bearings 2x $62. 96 inc tax NZ
Washers 16x $16.80
Brake fluid ? $13.50

I can add this experience to the replacement of the ECU; Tilt drive motor; potentiometer; fuel pump; fuel injector; variator bits + belts. Fixing wheel & seat sensor wiring plus other minor irritations. All this in 25,500 miles!
In my many years of motorcycling this would have to be the most 'involving' of relationships.
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 am quote
Nice work!

I don't suppose you have any photos of the ordeal?
Enthusiast
MP3 250 & T Max
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:31 pm quote
Reticulum has taken excellent photos here How to remove the steering tapered bearings (Page 2)

My concern on looking at the photos was that the fork legs appear to have been attached by their 'umbilical cords'-the wheel sensor wirings- and would be difficult to work on. The Service Manual describes lots more dismantling to disconnect them from the ECU to enable work to be carried out on the bench.
Unfortunately you cant unthread the plugs through the fork legs -so I cut them.
About 2" back from the plug. Reconnection on reassembly was no big deal.
Soldering iron and heat shrink required.
Oops! I left out a zero in the bearing number 32008
Mp3 Yourban 300 i.e
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:00 am quote
Good job, I'd like to do the same to my Yourban one day (hope in the far future) but seems a bit complicated and before starting I want to be sure that I can do the job on my own.
You saved lots of money with the DIY.
Enthusiast
MP3 250 & T Max
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:04 pm quote
Thank you. Yes I did save a lot of money.
On looking back over the amount of times the acres of plastic had to be removed to carry out the various repairs and replacements, it would probably have covered the cost of a new scoot.
I look upon it as a learning curve
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1434s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0332s) ][ Debug on ]