Gilera runner VXR 180 engine on Piaggio fly 125cc scooter?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
Gilera GP 800
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:21 am quote
Has anyone tried to mount a Gilera Runner VXR 180cc engine (With 300cc kit) on a 125cc piaggio fly?

I have a tuned Runner VXR engine that I would like to do something fun with.
And I wonder if the engine can physically be in a piaggio fly without having to cut too much into the frame.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:10 pm quote
What you are trying to do is very similar to what Malossi did with the Typhoon. It is basically the same crankcase as the one in the Fly, if it's a Leader fly, and the stator should be the same. The liquid cooled head takes up less space than the AC one it replaces.
Figure out where to put a radiator or two, hook it up, and lets see photos of some wheelies.
Lurker
Gilera GP 800
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:41 am quote
Thanks.

I sounds like it's not to difficult. I have to find space for the radiator as you write, and then the Runner has two rear springs, where it seems that only one rear spring can be mounted on Fly as the tank gets in the way on the right side of the Fly..

But I just got the Fly home, and it is in surprisingly good condition, and then the Malossi 187cc is mounted on it. But the previous owner says it stopped running when it was idling and he could not get it started afterwards.
So something has happened in the engine and that was why I thought it might be a fun project to put my 300cc engine on it.
But since it is in such good condition, it is almost a shame to "destroy" it by modifying it with a 300cc engine.
So now I will just try to disassemble the original engine to see what happened to it.

Is there a thread with that typhoon?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:26 pm quote
Here's a pdf of the Malossi Typhoon Prototype, and a list of everything you would need to convert the engine. You already have the parts, and could probably put your LC top end on the fly. The Exhaust would need to be either sourced or made because of the difference in how they hang the pipe on the two engines. I put an electric water pump in my Vespa GT200, and have been very happy with how that's worked out. The Fly and the Runner 180 use the same crankcase. I replaced the right crankcase on one of my GT200 engines with one from an ET4.
Malossi wanted to come up with an affordable four stroke racer that could move people off of the two strokes. If Malossi didn't then make a 32 horsepower 90cc RC-1 Engine, this probably would have caught on more. I've got a great story about some guys out in California who put an RC-1 in an Aprilia SR50, plated it, and rode it on the streets and freeways around LA.

typhoonmalossiprototype.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  typhoonmalossiprototype.pdf
 Filesize:  341.73 KB

Lurker
Gilera GP 800
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 am quote
Thank you so much, now i know it can be done reasonably easy

But first I want the original engine to run so I can get it registered and plates on, and then I can start the rebuilding with the Runner engine.

I have now opened the original Fly engine, and I can see that J.costa vario and Malossi 3111393 cylinder kit have been fitted.

But now I know what has gone wrong, the flywheel fan has lost a screw which has shattered the flywheel fan completely, and it has been running for some time so the engine has become VERY hot, and it has then caused one slide rail for the cam chain to melt , and one valve seat has come loose so that it sat skewed between valve and cylinder head, and the valve has become slightly skewed.
The camshaft and rocker arm has also become a bit worn, and should probably also be replaced.
Incredibly, the cylinder appears to be in really good condition, I would have thought it would have heat damage

the valve seat I think I can push in again as it does not seem to have been damaged, but I will probably have to order the following.

Valve
Camshaft
Rocker arm
Cylinder gasket kit
Flywheel fan

It will probably be easier to find a used cylinder head

I forgot to take pictures before I parted it all, but here are a few after

20210110_175332.jpg

20210109_203647.jpg

20210109_203558.jpg

20210109_214616.jpg

20210109_150621.jpg

20210109_155415.jpg

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:13 pm quote
Scrallar wrote:
But now I know what has gone wrong, the flywheel fan has lost a screw which has shattered the flywheel fan completely, and it has been running for some time so the engine has become VERY hot, and it has then caused one slide rail for the cam chain to melt , and one valve seat has come loose so that it sat skewed between valve and cylinder head, and the valve has become slightly skewed.
The camshaft and rocker arm has also become a bit worn, and should probably also be replaced.
Oh, is that all?

Thanks for the photos! Please post updates if your rebuild and later new engine upgrade
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1379s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0437s) ][ Debug on ]