Free (sort of) LX 50 winter project
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Lurker
LX 50 "Bernadette"
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:54 am quote
Hi all, first time poster and long time lurker.

I've recently acquired a 2008 LX 50 from a friend who no longer uses it. Short story long, she had it sitting in her back yard, exposed to some harsh coastal elements for far too long. I had fixed it up for her once before two years ago, and used this forum and YouTube for the knowledge I needed to crack open the scooter and tackle the biggest issues. I had replaced the belt, rollers, spark plug, fuel and air filters, and cleaned up the carb that was all gunked up. I rode it around for a couple weeks, tuned it up some, and it was running great when I gave it back to her. I didn't want to give it back, as it was SO MUCH FREAKIN' FUN to commute to work on it. It was my first scooter experience and I really fell in love with Vespas.

Fast forward to this past November. Vespa is sitting in her yard, albeit covered this time. I ask her if she needs me to tune it up for her, and she says "No, it's yours. You seem to enjoy it so much, I've got two little ones and no time to ride it. Just take it." I was floored! I insisted she accept the money that she put into it for parts (about $200) which she did reluctantly.

So now it's my winter project. Since I've already been elbow deep in it previously, I'm going to upgrade some components and use it as a commuter in the spring. I already have the Malossi multivar and CDI from Scooterpartsco. Eventually I'll do the Malossi 80cc kit, cam and carb upjet. Cosmetic stuff, like the switches and badges, will get replaced as well.

From all that I've read this seems like a nice community to be a part of. I'll post more pics of the progress as things move along. Happy New Year everyone!

IMG_20201223_182731_01.jpg

PXL_20201230_213348244.jpg

PXL_20201231_183519305.jpg

PXL_20201231_183535246.jpg

PXL_20201231_183540556.jpg

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:23 pm quote
Great project, with a nice back story!

Welcome to the forum
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 pm quote
Slightly Higher Performance
Greetings:

Beautiful story! Let me encourage your delinquency and root for you to do the Malossi 78cc kit AND Cam while you have the engine on the bench. Consider the Malossi ECU as well. You may find you go from a 37MPH Road Block to a genuine 60-mph scooter to give the stock 150s a run for the money. Malossi or Polini variator with a new belt is a BIG asset all by itself, but the engine power increases considerably with the cylinder kit. Pipe if you like but the difference isn't as significant. See Punkin thread - Slightly Higher Performance.

PunkinR2020Oct24.jpg

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:08 pm quote
Welcome and enjoy the LX. They are nice little scooters and a gateway drug for bigger and faster scooters. I have a friends being stored in my garage right now. Don't expect too much out of it, with only 2 small valves they will only go so fast. Now an S50 like Wheelmans you can get it to zip around and race cars from stop lights. But enjoy wrenching and keeping it alive and running.
Addicted
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:10 am quote
Greetings:

I liked "Gateway Drug"! So true. Punkin performs competently in civilized suburban traffic, but it's not going to outrun many cars off the line if they punch it. Well, maybe a few subcompacts, but only to 45MPH.
Lurker
LX 50 "Bernadette"
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:14 am quote
Re: Slightly Higher Performance
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

Beautiful story! Let me encourage your delinquency and root for you to do the Malossi 78cc kit AND Cam while you have the engine on the bench. Consider the Malossi ECU as well. You may find you go from a 37MPH Road Block to a genuine 60-mph scooter to give the stock 150s a run for the money. Malossi or Polini variator with a new belt is a BIG asset all by itself, but the engine power increases considerably with the cylinder kit. Pipe if you like but the difference isn't as significant. See Punkin thread - Slightly Higher Performance.
I certainly don't harbor any delusions that a variator and CDI are going to turn this scooter into a laser beam. A reliable commuter is all I need at the moment. I believe "delinquency" would be the operative word here. I don't have an M endorsement on my license, and while at some point I do want to do the 80cc kit, I definitely don't want to invite any unwarranted trouble. I know, I've read the posts where people say "It's cool, the cops won't bother you unless you're doing 60 in a 25," or some dismissive statement like that, but for the time being I think keeping it legal is in my best interest. We'll see if my conscience gets the better of me come spring.
Addicted
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:05 am quote
Greetings:

Unless you exceed 45, the only way the Constabulary can tell it's modified is by removing the head and measuring the bore. Unlikely, in the experience of thousands of Delinquents as well as my own. The 4-valve S model in my post would run 39MPH speedo-indicated with a tailwind. Probably closer to 35 True. Even in 45-mph limited Deepinnaharta, nearly useless as a commuter.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1499s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0243s) ][ Debug on ]