@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
I bought 2 used 2006 GTS250's and am trying to determine if they still has the original battery in it. I bought them in 2018 and have not had any issues but plan to take in for a load test to properly determine the health.

But out of curiosity, is there a way to determine if it is the original? I not sure if there is a date code on the battery as there is a number 7A10K stamped on top. The battery is a Yuasa YB10L-B2.

Thanks in advance!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That looks like an original battery - the pos and neg terminals are 'the wrong way round', just like the early GTS250 layout.
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
Thanks so the battery is like 14/15 years old.

Are you saying that the terminals are reversed in the newer replacement batteries? If so, then the wiring needs to be modified to reach.

I guess I will be researching replacement batteries!
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
I have been doing some research and it seems replacement batteries have the terminal reversed and the battery is slightly longer so that it won't fit in the battery tray.

Does anyone have experience with an Interstate Battery CYTX-BS? Price about the same as a replacement from Scooterwest but Interstate is local here. I have always had good luck with Interstate before and they have the battery in stock.

What is the purpose of the battery tray? I imagine it holds the battery in place and provides an insulation from the metal body. Any problems with cutting the tray to accomodate the battery?

The length of the original battery is 5 3/16 inches and the replacements all seem to be 6 inches.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
I've had really good luck with AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type batteries. they hold a charge better and are more shock resistant - no more damaged cells.

Go to Amazon, type in the Yuasa model # and AGM and you'll get options. Motobatt is a very good manufacturer, but there are other options as well.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
You can cut down the tray or remove it entirely.

My preferred option is to extend or replace the negative (10mm²) to reach the far position so giving a far greater choice of replacement batteries. This can be done by connecting directly to the frame.
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Jim. I need to shorten the positive lead I think as I can't seem to push it back enough but will know for sure when I go get the battery.

I haven't decided whether to cut the connector on the neg lead and butt splice a lead in or make a lead with ring terminals on either end and bolt the connectors together. My other thought is to create another bond to the body where the battery retaining bar bolts in to the frame by using the existing neg lead and a new lead with ring terminals. However, there is a wire that runs across this area that I think can be run under which would be cleaner. Haven't investigated it yet to know what it is and where connected. Would involve removing floor pan.
wire going over
wire going over
wire it feels like wire goes
wire it feels like wire goes
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I've had really good luck with AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type batteries. they hold a charge better and are more shock resistant - no more damaged cells.

Go to Amazon, type in the Yuasa model # and AGM and you'll get options. Motobatt is a very good manufacturer, but there are other options as well.
And the Motobatts allow moving the cable connections from one side of the battery to the other which means you can install the battery with the terminals reversed.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
This seems original battery. I am using Yuasa battery in my GTS since I purchase it and so far faced no issues.
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
I like that battery! Looks like the MBTX12U would be the replacement and will fit. plus the multiple terminals
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
AlanSmith7 wrote:
This seems original battery. I am using Yuasa battery in my GTS since I purchase it and so far faced no issues.
Thanks. How old is your battery? This one is in a 2006 so at least 15 yrs old.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If it's not the original, someone replaced the one that was in there with the same thing. If you go to a 12, you might want to consider changing out the battery tray to the newer one. Otherwise, Motobatt and most other companies have a 10 that should fit in the tray. They are hard to find, and tend to cost a little or a lot more.
I wouldn't shorted the positive lead, and make sure there's no way it can come into contact with the bike. That's what causes the wiring harnesses on the 250 to Cheech and Chong.
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
I do believe it is the original battery as I bought both 2006 gTS250 scoots from a husband and wife. The tires were new as they had been changed to pass state inspection. Both scoots only had 300 miles on them.

Ordered the Motobatt MBTX12U for each scoot.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Sometimes the battery is blamed but is this really the case?
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
Attila - so far nothing is wrong, I am just concerned on reliability of a 15 year old battery as the electrolyte levels were low on it.

One of the scoots is planned to be used for the scooter cannonball so I want reliability.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Yes, i understand ... I just wanted to say that a battery is not a self-regenerating object and that it is subject to wear that depends on many things.
A consideration that implies having parts of the scooter (or any vehicle) whose duration cannot be accurately estimated.
UTC

Enthusiast
2017 Piaggio BV 350

Enthusiast
2017 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
If that is the original battery I am amazed. All of my scooters required a new battery every 3 yrs or so. No matter how much I ride. This includes Peugeot, TGB, Genuine, Vespa and Piaggio brands. They just don't last long especially with the larger motors.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Excuse me ... maybe it is I who do not explain myself well, "globalization" requires choices of "saving on a large scale"; that is ... If you have to sell a vehicle and make a certain profit where are you going to save? On external components, clutch, brakes, tires, plastic parts, cables and batteries.
And how are you going to assemble good brand components while saving money? The top brand supplier will have factories in countries where the component is cheaper and will allow him to make a better offer to the manufacturer but the quality will be "fair" and of average duration, however sufficient to satisfy the customer of the final product.
If they don't do this, they fall behind in the race to sell, unfortunately it is now a discipline followed by many brands.
You may have wondered why some customers are better and others worse ... Well ... Many factors in the field including a dose of luck, chance and how the vehicle is used; you have read in the forum that when the battery is replaced you look for the best one but the question nobody asks is: where is it built? With what quality controls?
It would take a ranking (and perhaps there is already on the web) that, outside of advertising purposes, certifies which are the best batteries and above all how to recognize them.
In this italian site:
https://www.dns-ok.it/batteria-moto#migliori-5-batteria%20moto-confronto
There are different brands of batteries (and battery charger / maintainer) and as you can see at the bottom of the page, Yuasa there is not only one type and brand; so Yuasa manufactures different models but not only ... produces different brand Yuasa batteries (Yuasa Battery CO. LTD, Yuasa, Yuasa Battery).

PS: sorry but I try to translate complex concepts well, tell me the quality of the translation so I can correct myself, thanks.
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
Update
I ordered the Motobatt battery and it fits but is slightly larger. The increase in size was pinching the wire shown in a previous pic. This wire goes to the HT coil so I had to remove the glove box and floor to get to it where I re-routed that wire so it was not pinched.

The other issue is the positive lead terminal which is an L shape and is close to the metal frame even though there is a strip of rubber on the frame in that area. The screw hole is in the bottom of the L on the terminal so I am looking at cutting that bottom of the L off and drilling a hole in the remaining part. This way the connection will lay flat on the battery terminal and not be near the frame.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Re: Update
wbdvt wrote:
I ordered the Motobatt battery and it fits but is slightly larger. The increase in size was pinching the wire shown in a previous pic. This wire goes to the HT coil so I had to remove the glove box and floor to get to it where I re-routed that wire so it was not pinched.

The other issue is the positive lead terminal which is an L shape and is close to the metal frame even though there is a strip of rubber on the frame in that area. The screw hole is in the bottom of the L on the terminal so I am looking at cutting that bottom of the L off and drilling a hole in the remaining part. This way the connection will lay flat on the battery terminal and not be near the frame.
You can also shape a metal foil and make holes in the ends and bend it so that it doesn't touch the frame, then put a bolt under and one above. Otherwise you can use two additional cable lugs to make a cable extension (an inch or two or as needed)
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
Ok, with some trial and error and using the removal base plates that come with the battery, I got the height needed. Did some filing of the positive connector and with out using the removal battery terminal, landed the positive lead a sufficient distance from the frame. All secured and not moving.

Added battery tender leads also.

The battery is hard to get out so I wrapped some duct tape around it to create a way of pulling the battery out.
⚠️ Last edited by wbdvt on UTC; edited 1 time
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
UTC quote
Greetings:

Nice work!
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Pissed off with Motobatt.
I've just taken out the last Motobatt I'll ever use from the LX. This one lasted all of eighteen months before going the way the other two I had - self-discharging within a week. Effin' useless!

Another Weize YTX-12BS now on order - now down to $29.99:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KVPM5P3
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
I am a big fan of Shorai batteries. I just put one in my LX. Expensive but also very light for racing applications. I have a 10 year old one in my 94 Ducati Super Sport and it just won't die! That is my only experience with them though and the Duc is totally analog so no drain when sitting just like the 09 LX50 I have. You can buy direct from them too.

https://shoraipower.com/
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1012s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0720s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]