OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hello people, I wonder if any of you knows where the hack is the turning light relay located on MP3 500 2013? Will be so helpful to know before I year apart the whole bike
I've installed led turn indicators https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-blaze-ice.html and they hyper flashing.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Flasher a.k.a. turn signal relay is located either at the tail end (on older pre-2014 models) or behind the instrument cluster (2014 and newer)

Get the genuine Euro spec Piaggio LED flasher relay (as used on current 2020 models). It is a plug and play retrofit for the older bikes. I replaced mine with Piaggio LED flashers and Piaggio relay on my 2015

US spec MP3 still continue to use ancient filament bulbs due to archaic road regulations.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
One more thing. AFAIK, there is no aftermarket LED flasher relay that is plug and plug compatible except for the Piaggio relay I mentioned from the Euro spec MP3. I think the Euro bikes got the LED blinkers starting with MY2018 and up
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
does the 2020 relay work with early incandescent bulbs? is it more robust? my relay has failed twice in 1.5 years on my 2009. I dont care much for aftermarket led bulbs and dont use them. they are not reliable and can cause issues. I like the look of old big yellow blinkers that blink slowly. so I will continue using them. so far the relay was replaced with used ones. I balked at price of new one. even considered a rewire to eliminate flasher feature. then a cheaper more reliable relay could be used.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
The Piaggio LED relay appears to be solid state, although I have not opened up mine. I have had mine installed for about 1.5 years and retrofitted it onto my 2015 MP3 500

Yes, it does function with incandescent bulbs or LEDs, or a mix thereof. Hazard flasher function remains as well of course. No need for resistors.

But the price is a lot lower than the standard relay at around 20 Euro, about 25USD.

Attached is a copy of the invoice with p/n#s for LED blinkers and relay. I ordered mine from easyparts.nl
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
Flasher a.k.a. turn signal relay is located either at the tail end (on older pre-2014 models) or behind the instrument cluster (2014 and newer)

Get the genuine Euro spec Piaggio LED flasher relay (as used on current 2020 models). It is a plug and play retrofit for the older bikes. I replaced mine with Piaggio LED flashers and Piaggio relay on my 2015

US spec MP3 still continue to use ancient filament bulbs due to archaic road regulations.
Thank you for all the useful information!
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
The Piaggio LED relay appears to be solid state, although I have not opened up mine. I have had mine installed for about 1.5 years and retrofitted it onto my 2015 MP3 500

Yes, it does function with incandescent bulbs or LEDs, or a mix thereof. Hazard flasher function remains as well of course. No need for resistors.

But the price is a lot lower than the standard relay at around 20 Euro, about 25USD.

Attached is a copy of the invoice with p/n#s for LED blinkers and relay. I ordered mine from easyparts.nl
Thanks! I've tried to find the turn signal relay unit on the web-shop where you've mentioned but I couldn't. Not even with the article number
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Here ya go. Direct web link to Piaggio LED relay

https://www.easyparts.nl/Blinker-Device-With-Hazard-p33684637
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:

Thank you again!
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
UTC quote
Draggen wrote:
sbaert wrote:

Thank you again!
Hi Draggen
Did you ever install the LED turn signal relay into the MP3 500 2013?

I broke a turn-signal and once again have to get a replacement from my local dealer (long story). If the LED-relay worked in the older bike then I believe I will order one for my 2016 500ie and then be able to use cheaper and more available LED types.

Couple questions on the swap
* Did you have to replace all 4 turn-signals? (I sbaert's reply on the 2015 so I suspect not as the 12V should still work)
* Did you have to splice wires to connect the LED turn-signals with the existing 2-pin molex connectors? Or tie the wires together?
* What LED turn signals did you buy and did the LED-relay swap work as expected.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
My bike is a 2015 Euro spec, so it was built before Piaggio started putting LED turn signal units on the MP3 circa 2017. US spec MP3s still get the incandescent style even through today.

It was pure plug and play.

I used the original Piaggio LED turn signals.

Zero modifications was done, except to salvage the connectors from the old units and splice them onto the LED turn signal units. The factory wiring harness remains untouched.

Pretty sure the relay will work the older bikes too.

I did this mod at least 1.5 years ago and zero problems. And yes, the Piaggio LED relay will also work with incandescents or a mix thereof.

Top tip: Use heat shrink tubing and solder the wires when splicing on the old connectors to the LED turn signal units to keep dirt and moisture out. Using a less than weatherproof connection is asking for trouble, especially considering where these things are located on the bike.
UTC

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
UTC quote
Thank you for the quick response and detailed information

Placed my order now to ship to USA. Shipping will be a bit expensive but if it allows me to use more generic off-the-shelf parts then its worth it.

I'll post again here to document how the process is done with panel removal and process photos so anyone else who wants to do the same will know how.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
UTC quote
Follow up
Thank you to user sbaert for providing the URL to the online store and information for buying the part.

Hello Folks.
I purchased and installed the recommended Euro sourced Blinker relay.

My Mp3 still has the default US-market incandescent marker bulbs. I did not have the desired LED types available so decided to try it with the regular defaults.

The unit is mounted in above the headlights in a rubber shock mount just above the cluster of four signal relays. I almost missed it as its dark color and oblong shape doesn't lend itself to standing out amongst the jumble of wires. To access it you must remove the windshield, and cover plastic, which is about half the plastic paneling to access the headlights.

I can say that the marker-bulbs are the same brightness (if not a little brighter) with the new relay than with the old one. All four turn-signal indicators work properly with good blink-rate and brightness.

The old OEM Turn Signal Relay: 1D001282
The NEW Euro sourced Turn Signal Relay is model: 1D002536R

Its full title is. "STAR Blinker device with Hazard Control Unit 12V part 1D002536R" which can be purchased from https://www.easyparts.nl/Blinker-Device-With-Hazard-p33684637

I will update again once I acquire LED turn signals and test installing them.
1D002536R
1D002536R
1D001282
1D001282
This is where the Turn Signal Relay is mounted just under the front plastic
This is where the Turn Signal Relay is mounted just under the front plastic
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I'm glad to see they now place the relay up front out of the way of any potentially corrosive crap. On the old Fuoco it used to be at the back, under the left-hand side cowl, right where all the muck from the rear wheel would get sprayed. It was common for the 'permanent' 12V feed pins to corrode.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0251s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0022s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]