@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Scattered remnants of (two!) 1974 Rallys

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
UTC quote
I installed a new wiring harness, and having this strange issue. with the two headset indicator lights.

Turn signal indicator: It faintly glows when it's not active. But when the turn signals are on, it blinks in/out as it should.

High beam indicator: Stays on in both positions.

Has anyone experienced this?
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Re: P200 headset indicators - weird issue.
hjo wrote:
I installed a new wiring harness, and having this strange issue. with the two headset indicator lights.

Turn signal indicator: It faintly glows when it's not active. But when the turn signals are on, it blinks in/out as it should.

High beam indicator: Stays on in both positions.

Has anyone experienced this?
On the wiring diagrams for a P200 that I've looked at the high beam indicator and high beam headlight bulb filament get power from the same wire at the headlight. This power comes directly from the switch. Are you sure the high beam is off?

Here is a schematic from scooter, if you don't have one.
https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/pages/VSX1T.p200.html

The turn signal faint bulb is interesting also. According to the diagram linked above, the bulb is connected to "P" on the indicator flasher relay. What happens when you disconnect it from the relay? Hopefully it goes out, if it does I would try a new Indicator relay. I would put in a digital indicator relay if you can get one, for that particular scooter. I put one in my Stella and the lights were brighter, it comes down to.the old style uses a small heater setup to chase the flashing and uses part of the voltage that would be going to the lights. A new digital relay doesn't do that, it has a built in timer.

Also.did you happen to install led bulbs by any chance?

If it doesn't go out you'll need to figure out what is wrong with the wiring harness.
OP
@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
UTC quote
It's so strange!

I didn't install LEDs. Looks like the turn indicator is the flasher unit. The quality of reproduction parts, or maybe the wiring of the vespa required a specific flasher.

The first one I ordered didn't power the dash light at all. The second one operated like this. I'm guessing the way the switch works, it has some amount of ambient current that is enough to make the tiny light glow.

The headlight is really confusing. The switch works fine on the light. Only one beam in each position, and the indicator is connected to the switch.

Seems like maybe bc they share a ground attached to the speedo, there could be something with that?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0440s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0181s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]